A Monday Afternoon Ride - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Boomer59

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Cool A Monday Afternoon Ride

Had the day off, and planned to go on a short ride. We hit our first 90+ degree day of the year, so I thought I'd ride somewhere to cool off. For some of you that means finding a higher altitude, but that's not a (close) option for me. Fortunately lake Superior is a relatively short 100 miles from where I live, so after checking off a couple of items on the honey-do list (that shot the entire morning) I was on my way! Left the house at 12:30PM temp 95dF. Headed North on HWY 53 from Rice Lake, Wi to HWY V, east to HWY M (which winds around the west side of Long Lake, one of the most scenic lakes in NW WI), north to HWY B, NE to HWY 70, east to HWY 27, north to Hayward, WI. From Hayward I took HWY 63 north to HWY 2, east to HWY 13, north to Washburn, Bayfield, and Red Cliff along the Apostle Island National Lake Shore. When I exited HWY 2 the temp was 93dF, as I pulled into Washburn the temp had dropped to 73dF. As I continued north to Bayfield the temp continued to drop into the mid 60's. The thin Tee shirt I had been wearing wasn't doing the job, but I thought "it isn't going to get any cooler than this". WRONG! As HWY 13 turned west at Red Cliff, a gentle 20mph breeze out of the NE was blowing off the lake. At Cornucopia the temp dropped to 59dF, where I stopped, and put on the light jacket I had brought with. As I continued riding west, the temp continued to go south! Just west of Port Wing I recorded the coolest temp of my ride 52dF (43 degree cooler than when I had left home 3-1/2 hour prior! It was at about that time that I noticed the gas gauge flicker to the last bar, and began wondering what mileage range I had remaining. For those who have never ridden the circle tour of lake Superior, there are some pretty desolate stretches without petrol access. The south shore is relatively populated, but it's still a ways between gas stops. Rather than pushing my luck I chose to stop at a farm, and inquire if they may have some gas they could spare. The old gent (about my age) cheerfully obliged with a gallon or two from his lawnmower can, and politely refused my $10 offering. When I upped my offer to $20 he reconsidered, and accepted the $10. After visiting for 15-20 minutes I had to interrupt our conversation, by mentioning that the deer would be out soon, and I needed to get on my way (we have LOTS of deer in NW WI, the highways here are litter with their corpses). I'm guessing I was a few minutes shy of a dinner invite, and offer to put me up for the evening (did I mention this is a pretty desolate area? Folks don't get much company in these parts). So with directions to the nearest gas station, I was off again.
The gas detour took me south to Maple, than east to Poplar, WI (home town of WWII top Ace Major Richard Bong), where I topped off the tank. Continuing west on HWY 2 to HWY 53, then south for the 100 mile sprint home. By the time I got to Solon Springs, 20 miles south of the lake, the temp had rebounded to 91dF. I pulled into the driveway at 8:45PM, as the sun was setting, outside temp 86df. Inside temp; let's just say the old girl was steaming.
Should you ever get the opportunity to ride Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the UP of Michigan, I highly recommend it. There's some beautiful country up here, and miles of great roads to ride.
philharmonic, OrmondB and jimw like this.

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have not ridden much of WI or the UP, a north of Superior trip is planned for someday.....
If you do a rough fuel calculation, each bar is about 25 miles, plus you have reserve. When the last bar starts flashing, well, yeah look for fuel, but when it switches to F mode and starts counting up miles, you still have 5 litres left that will get you about 60 miles max before she sputters out. Take some spare fuel someday and test that for yourself, get a realistic number for yours....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Ray, Thanks for the info. Good to know I would have made it to the next station (but then I would have missed the opportunity to make a new friend). All my previous bikes had fuel petcocks, with a reserve position so I knew when it switched to reserve. I rarely allow my tank to fall much below half before looking for a refill. I've run out of gas enough times to have learned my lesson (although yesterday would contradict that statement).
Again; Thanks for the good info. I've learned a lot from your postings over the past several months, sinse I joined this forum. You're a well of knowledge on the FJG.
Boomer59

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Sounds like a good ride Boomer. I haven't been over there for a while, just been up there snowmobiling & 1 camping trip (the black flies dominated) That's some nice country tho. I usually do the north shore, a pretty quick ride to Duluth from here, around 2 hrs to get to the good stuff.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Don't forget to take and post some pictures next time
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

A most excellent mental health day !

George

2015 FJR1300 A
2010 H-D XR1200 , a Sportster on steroids

I wasn't born here in GA , but I got here as fast as I could !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page