• 2 Post By rgb
  • 1 Post By FJR Owner
  • 2 Post By rgb
  • 1 Post By FJR Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

The Blue Ridge Parkway

Anybody ever rode the Blue Ridge parkway in a day? I'd enter the Parkway near Asheville, NC. We are planning a trip from Charleston, SC to Finger Lakes in upstate New York. The wife would drive up the interstate and I'm taking the FJR on a scenic route. I would stop for gas and maybe a picture or two. We would meet in Manassas, Va. for the night. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just saw snow in the upstate NY forecast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 08:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The BRP CAN be ridden in about 11hours
but doing so kinda misses the point.
It wasn’t made for speed or making time.
I’ve never done it in less than two days,
three if you include Skyline Drive.
If you find yourself running late, bail
and find an alternate route.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 PM
FJR Top Gun

That's a long way in a 45 mph zone and they dont mess around with speeding tickets in a National Park. 2 days for me with stops.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Have a safe ride, Iím outside of Syracuse and the weather has been a tease. Bring warm gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SnuffySmith likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thank you for the replys and valuable info. I'll allow myself 3 days to reach Canandaigua,NY from Charleston, SC. For now, leaving 5/7 and arriving in Canandaigua on a snow predicted Saturday night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 01:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's gorgeous up there. Remember, when you get high it gets c-c-c-cold! Brrrr!

I was there a couple weeks ago, parts of it were closed for the virus panic.
SnuffySmith likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 03:48 PM
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

last time I was up that way, Asheville to the southern end was closed. Bits around Little Switzerland was closed. Up north was pretty good. Open for bicycles though.

Best bet is to go look for the real-time road open/close status page for the Blue Ridge Parkway. It has a good reliable map. This is such a good time to get out there.
philharmonic and SnuffySmith like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Skyline drive has been locked down for about 3 weeks. Jersey Barriers block the entrances. I still haven't figured out a scientific reason the government is closing the outdoors due to Covid 19 and the ability to take a ride.

I do agree it's best done over several days, blasting through in a day leaves little time for sightseeing. If you're time limited, doing part of the route on the nearby interstate is an option.
SnuffySmith likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 PM
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

I'm not sure about the science. An associate that used to work for the Park service, says that in times of government stress, the parks are the first to cut back to conserve the emergency type entities resources for things that may be needed outside the parks. He said that a lot of the park people are probably considered non-essential.
bounce and SnuffySmith like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I ended up riding Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway last week. Too many months sequestered in the house was making me go a bit crazy. I was planning on doing the IronButt associations National Parks tour, but just couldn't wait until all the park visitor centers were open.

Day one I ended up riding the hour from the house to the start of Skyline drive. It was Sunday and there was about a 20 minute backup at the entrance booths, but they let you bypass the line if you have a yearly pass. I took a leisurely pace stopping where I wanted to, and ended up at Roanoke for the night. Traffic was surprisingly light for the weekend, but the 35 mph speed limit on Skyline Drive and 45 on the Blue Ridge does limit the amount of miles you can put on.

Day two I made my way back to where I got off the BRP, and found it was 100 yards to the gate where they closed it due to road damage. Milepost 121.4 at U.S. Route 220 to Milepost 135.9 at Adney Gap is currently closed. Ended up going back into Roanoke and wasting an hour trying to find the point where the detour ended. About 10:30 I finally found the point where it opened back up and started heading south again. South of Roanoke the traffic was extremely light, you'd only see a car every 20 minutes or so. After about 7 hours, I ended up in Asheville NC and decided to stop for the night, I figure I'm on vacation, no need to push it and drive the roads in the dark.

Day three I started up fairly early at 9 and ended at Cherokee by noon.

I'd agree it's about 11 hours drive time, but you'd want to plan at least two days. There are at least a couple spots where you want to stop and take in the view.
SnuffySmith likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page