2Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By Damir

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Something in REAL TIME

This morning, I'd like to do something in REAL TIME...

I'll be using the android software called "Glympse" to share my ride with anyone who wants to see. The URL will let anyone track me in real time... right down to how fast I'm going!

https://glympse.com/!Strat3

It's 08:00 hrs here on the west coast as I write, so it will take me about 45 min or so to get "on the road again". Look at the URL then, not now....

Glympse lets me know how many folk look in. Could be mildly entertaining.

I use this software for the church fund raiser ride we do some years. It lets the parishoners follow along ...

cheers,

- StratTuner - FJR1300 (2012)
"Time ... , why you punish me? Like the waves breaking on the shore
you wash away my dreams..." - Darius Rucker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post

I'll be using the android software called "Glympse" to share my ride with anyone who wants to see. The URL will let anyone track me in real time... right down to how fast I'm going!

It's 08:00 hrs here on the west coast as I write, so it will take me about 45 min or so to get "on the road again". Look at the URL then, not now....

I use this software for the church fund raiser ride we do some years. It lets the parishoners follow along ...

cheers,
My wife and use this FREE app for our cell Life360 it's tracks her as she drives to work I can see on a map where she is how fast she is going, down side she can see the same on me.How Fast etc.
I looked a few of these and picked this for a try so far it works great.
https://www.life360.com/

At the end of the ride it shows where I went how many stops for how long plus a Crash/Accident feature etc

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Goes along with the discussion about GPS apps.... I've known about Glympse for some time. I can perhaps monitor You with a wifi connection, but to transmit, I'd need a heck of a data plan for US travel. And what do you do in areas of no cell coverage. Can you shut these apps off or at least configure them to not show every darn detail of my life? Tons of security concerns..... If I bump my phone accidentally are the emergency services automatically on the way... no thanks.

I'm better off with a satellite based PLB, also not cheap but at least I get to decide which buttons get pushed.
Sete Bond likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Goes along with the discussion about GPS apps.... I've known about Glympse for some time. I can perhaps monitor You with a wifi connection, but to transmit, I'd need a heck of a data plan for US travel. And what do you do in areas of no cell coverage. Can you shut these apps off or at least configure them to not show every darn detail of my life? Tons of security concerns..... If I bump my phone accidentally are the emergency services automatically on the way... no thanks.

I'm better off with a satellite based PLB, also not cheap but at least I get to decide which buttons get pushed.
I have dropped my cell with the Life 360 app on never had a issue, YMMV

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Lunch in Gorman California and then on to highway 166 and into Santa Maria. This being a Friday, I will hit traffic in and around LA on the way home. I think I'll stop at the Starbucks at Las Virgenes Rd. (top of Malibu Canyon)&lt;br /&gt;<br />

Favorite Fun trivia about that exit: there is a state park in the hills near that exit with some fine hiking trails. One of the trails leads to a Korean War era jeep quietly rusting in the California sun shine. The state park used to belong to Paramount Studios. It was called &quot;the ranch&quot; and all exterior scenes of the TV show MASH were filmed there.<br />
<br />

&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Most of the time, wife and I use google maps to share location constantly. It already tracks where we are anyway, so at least we can benefit from that too.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Glympse is handy when you want to share location in real time with anyone who can to to the website URL. I expect it would use too much data over time if one used in constantly. &lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;

Last edited by StratTuner; 02-07-2020 at 02:50 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
cheers,
StratTuner we would watch you but we are too busy shoveling snow (still), but we promise we'll follow you when you hit 100+F temperatures in SoCal
passx likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Mesh was made for 100+.
Here's today's photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200207_132821_1581124660630.jpg (292.4 KB, 9 views)

- StratTuner - FJR1300 (2012)
"Time ... , why you punish me? Like the waves breaking on the shore
you wash away my dreams..." - Darius Rucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page