Missouri Boy Rides Southern California in January - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Missouri Boy Rides Southern California in January

[I re-formatted this to hopefully get the pictures on the page]

I had such a wild hair last Thursday.

I decided on Thursday morning that I should go work a few hours and then fly to LA to rent a bike, ride some twisties and see my sweet niece.

Thanks to the internet... I did it.

So, back to Thursday morning... my wife and son are walking around coughing like the end of the world, and I'm taking pride in my tough fitness routine thinking it's helping me to ward it off. After I got on the first non-stop to LA, I found about half the people on the plane were coughing... so I just held my breath for 4 hours.

Put my Aerostich and clothes in a big rolling bag I'd have to check, and I put my tablet and helmet in my carry on bag, since I didn't want my Shoei dropped or smashed.

The bike I rented was coming from Bike Share (correction: Rider-Share), which was very smartphone oriented. I could barely figure it out, but I did. I was picking the bike up in Hollywood at 10am, so I had time to have breakfast with my beautiful niece and visit the uber posh salon she works in.

Yeah, me and my ridiculous hair, visiting a salon like this... that was embarassing.

So, I left the rental car and the bike share place, which was just another name for a rental... and picked up the BMW S1000. I forgot to pack my boots, so they rented me a pair for 30 bucks for both days.

The BMW was practically brand new. It had a fender eliminator and the cat removed, but they didn't block the air induction - so every time you'd roll off the throttle it had a rhythmic two loud pops. That became a little annoying. The bike had the BMW quickshifter, which was just like one I had ridden in the past. Impressive that it smoothly cuts throttle and shifts instantly... and that it even blips throttle on downshifts, but I still found it slightly inconsistent feeling... and later in the trip when I got up to the mountains and really push it hard, you never knew what kind of shift you'd get... yep, why I hate those.

So, I know kinda where to go in NorCal on a bike, but this was my first trip on two wheels to SoCal... even though I knew roughly where the good roads were, I was a pretty lost pup the whole time. I had to frequently pull over, pull out my phone and map to where the good roads were. Riding a well-heeled sportbike on Sunset Blvd. from Hollywood to the coast, past Beverly Hills and Bel Air, on Friday morning with very little traffic, in 70-degree weather when it's snowing back home... does NOT suck!

I rode up Topanga Canyon, Mulholland, turned around and played on that corner where guys always go down while mickeymouse films them. (No, I still cant figure out why guys lowside right there... the payment is fine and there's no dip or anything.) Up and around Calabassas, where the terrible helicopter crash was on Sunday morning while I was flying home. Very mountainous area - I would not like to try an emergency landing around there, and I saw the patchy fog that morning.

After a great Friday ride, I decided to try to stay within walking distance of the rental car, so could just park the bike and walk the luggage to the hotel and drink a stack of beers. But coming back from the Malibu canyons, Google Maps was still saying the fastest way back was PCH to Sunset, all the way to Hollywood. On Friday evening. Traffic was moving like 100 year old cement. I became a lane splitting animal. About 300 times I had to stop to get my shoulders between rear view mirrors, but my tight woods enduro training scratched no Bentleys all the way back to Hollywood, though I did have to pull off to rest my left hand from so much clutching.

When I got back to the Hollywood area, I thought my search for reasonable accoms would be impossible, but then I found the Hollywood LaBrea Inn, right at Hollywood and LaBrea... one block from the Chinese theater. It was a cheap flea bag, but I was surprised to find that it was pretty clean, safe, quiet and about 150 a night, so I stayed there. I hit the liquor store for beers, the rental car for my luggage, and the Pizza place next door was tip top. I hadn't eaten, so I ate the pizza like an animal, and then for breakfast the next morning.

Saturday I realized that the plagues from home and airplanes had caught me, so I went over the the CVS on Hollywood Blvd. and bought lots of overpriced cold meds. They really helped.

Then I 'stiched up and used my splitting skills and memory (sure missed my GPS) to navigate to the 101, over to the Glendale freeway, where I saw more homeless encampments than I saw anythere else, and motored up to Angeles Crest Highway. This area was off the charts! Really motorcycle heaven for me. Hardly any cars, and those would get out of the way quickly... and good pavement and incredible views and just curves having babies out of wedlock and more curves... nice and round, but all different... just flippin' heaven. I rode up to 7000 feet until the roads were a mess, and then closed by snow. And then found more roads on my way down. And even when I was up high, it never really got too cold... and then back down to Glendale for gas and a sandwich, and back up for more pavement sex.

Yes, I even saw Boy Scouts playing in the snow. (??)

At 3:30pm, I headed back to Hollywood for my exit protocol, give the bike back and get the rental car back to the Inn. Then I caged down to Inglewood to meet my niece at a mexican-owned, mexican place. I handily outdrank her three beers, (though her 100-pound power-to-weight ratio is slightly lower than mine) and had just a great meal.

Then at 04:30, my alarm told me the party was over, my throat felt like somebody punched it... and I knew it would be a long two flights home, trying not to cough on people. Maybe it was good that my next seat neighbor from Denver to St. Louis had a mask on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BelAirSign.jpg (353.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg BeverlyHotelSign.jpg (231.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg BikeTopanga1.jpg (158.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg BikeTopanga2.jpg (335.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg JuliaSalon1.jpg (218.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg JuliaSalon2.jpg (213.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ChineseTheater.jpg (193.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PizzaBox.jpg (133.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4264.jpg (198.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg BikeMtBaldy2.jpg (444.8 KB, 9 views)

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Last edited by Liquidsilver; 01-29-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I expected the bike to feel faster than my FZ1 or my Ninja, but I felt like it was about the same. At the spot on the tach where my bikes would have started to run out of breath, this thing revved out a little further. Good time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BikeSnow1.jpg (286.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg BikeMtBaldy1.jpg (455.8 KB, 5 views)

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
I had such a wild hair last Thursday.

I decided on Thursday morning that I should go work a few hours and then fly to LA to rent a bike, ride some twisties and see my sweet niece.
. . .
. . .
Then at 04:30, my alarm told me the party was over, my throat felt like somebody punched it... and I knew it would be a long two flights home, trying not to cough on people. Maybe it was good that my next seat neighbor from Denver to St. Louis had a mask on.
Thanks for sharing, great story! Good for you!

Patrick

Last edited by Chicago_FJR; 01-28-2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spacing

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Great story there Liquidsilver!

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:55 PM
FJR Top Gun

Man, that IS a wild hair. What fun. Having ridden thru that area once..once was enough for me. The crowds, the traffic. I was on a Honda ST 1300 so didn't split and it was 105 degrees and bumper to bumper for miles. Glad I did it, but have no desire to do it again. Mulholland was no different than dozens of roads I have ridden locally. Was kinda disappointing considering it's reputation. Rock store was closed when I went thru. Rt 58 by San Luis Obispo was a great road. PCH was cool. Don't remember riding Angels Crest though.

Your niece is very pretty. These kids with all their piercings though lol. Probably has a bunch of ink too. Different generation for sure. I did have my left ear pierced in 1969, but went to work in a department store where they wouldn't let me where it and the hole eventually closed up. Had to cut my hair too. There was no tolerance for different back then. No ink though.Now I go into places and the person waiting on my will have half their hair shaved off on one side, the other side purple, jewelry hanging out of their ears, eyes, nose, lips, tongue, ink over their hands, necks and faces. My how times have changed. I do wear a peace sign wrist band on my left wrist right above the silicone one that says" Look For Motorcycle Save a Life". Just an old hippy with no hair lol.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
These kids with all their piercings though lol. Probably has a bunch of ink too. Different generation for sure.
Yuuup. She is beautiful and lean, but yeah, piercings and lots of ink... and clothes and hair that just look kinda funny (since I'm sure she won't read this). I feel like they try to make themselves less attractive with all that stuff... but I guess that's why they say WE'RE old. LOL

She works SO hard to live out there and she's proud that she's 'making it.' The rent on her little apartment would pay the 2X mortgage on my house. Bless her heart, she has drive.
wheaton, passx and the Ferret like this.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Yuuup. She is beautiful and lean, but yeah, piercings and lots of ink... and clothes and hair that just look kinda funny (since I'm sure she won't read this). I feel like they try to make themselves less attractive with all that stuff... but I guess that's why they say WE'RE old. LOL

She works SO hard to live out there and she's proud that she's 'making it.' The rent on her little apartment would pay the 2X mortgage on my house. Bless her heart, she has drive.
Got to be tough on young uns in So Cal.How could they ever afford those real estate prices?

Back in the mid 70's I worked in the mc industry and one of my suppliers was in so cal. We got to talking one day and I told her I lived in a 1500 sq ft 3 BR brick ranch on 3/4 acre and she said in So Cal that would cost a half mil. I paid $38, 500 for it here in southern Ohio. Now I live in a 2500 sq ft 3 bedroom brick on 6 wooded acres. Paid $25K for the land and had the house built for $ 134K. I couldn't afford to live in So Cal...not that I'd want to. My wife has a sister in San Diego just bought a house w/ postage stamp yard $1.4 mil. Crazy.
Liquidsilver likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 01-28-2020 at 07:41 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well Liquid, it's good to see that your impetuosity skills are just as sharp as your track skills Practice makes perfect........

Your niece looks like she enjoyed the visit and I bet you are the "favorite uncle". No doubt that she has vivid childhood memories of you giving here rides on the tank of your FZ1 when she was a mere lass. I'd like to say that you are not a helicopter uncle....but....uhhhh......technically speaking.........

They say that you should drink a lot of liquid with a cold so you did the best you could with the beer. Maybe mix up a TheraFlu Cocktail with some good ole Buffalo Trace to really kick it out of your system.

Ride looked awesome! Very surprised that you didn't get more snowbound this time of year up in them thar hills........

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:40 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Ok, boomer! LOL Great, great story Liquid. SoCal is a special place to live and lifestyle, I hope she always continues to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Got to be tough on young uns in So Cal.How could they ever afford those real estate prices?

Back in the mid 70's I worked in the mc industry and one of my suppliers was in so cal. We got to talking one day and I told her I lived in a 1500 sq ft 3 BR brick ranch on 3/4 acre and she said in So Cal that would cost a half mil. I paid $38, 500 for it here in southern Ohio. Now I live in a 2500 sq ft 3 bedroom brick on 6 wooded acres. Paid $25K for the land and had the house built for $ 134K. I couldn't afford to live in So Cal...not that I'd want to. My wife has a sister in San Diego just bought a house w/ postage stamp yard $1.4 mil. Crazy.
I've been looking at house prices in and near Columbus. What the heck happened!!!! Went to college there in the '70's, I don't recognize the campus or the town! Prices are also crazy high! Oh well, I guess it's everywhere......

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:21 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post

I've been looking at house prices in and near Columbus. What the heck happened!!!! Went to college there in the '70's, I don't recognize the campus or the town! Prices are also crazy high! Oh well, I guess it's everywhere......
You go about 30 miles outside of C Town, particularly south/east and you should find prices more to your liking. Anywhere near the city, yea the prices are crazy.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page