Road trip to **** turned out okay - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Road trip to **** turned out okay

Sometime ago my oldest son called me and said that he was going to ride up to a place called Two Wheels over Soches. Its a motorcycle only campground located in North Georgia. He lives in Pensacola FL. and Im further south in Fort Myers, FL.
We agreed upon a meeting spot just north of Atlanta. For me thats a 700+ mile ride so I decided to do it in two days. Made it to south central GA the first day. Got a room for the night and tried to get some sleep. Wasnt going to happen. I was starting to feel like I was coming down with something. After a rough night I was able to get going and we met as planned. That night was awful, sleeping in a pup tent with no air mattress SUCKED! Upset stomach and diarrheas with a fever. We tried to do some riding the next day but I was miserable. One more night in the tent (my last ever) tossing and turning had me praying for sunrise. We loaded up. I threw the tent into the trash and headed for Atlanta. It was noon before we said our goodbyes and I headed South. At this point Im really feeling bad. As soon as I got to I-75 south of Atlanta traffic came to a complete stop. Temperature was mid 90s. After what seemed like forever I made it to Macon and got a room. Woke up about 4 hours later and felt remarkably better. Needing to get home I hopped back on my FJR and headed south into the Georgia twilight. Within a hour I was feeling worse than ever. Not much traffic so I started cycling my speed from 70 to 90 and back to 70. During one of these cycles blue lights came up behind me. The trooper was friendly and admired the bike and asked me if I had any idea how fast I was going?
I had a good idea but played dumb. 125 he said. Took my documents and headed back to his car. At least 30 minutes passed away before he got out of his car and told me he had lost my drivers license. I offered to help look for it and got my flashlight. We hunted for another 20 minutes with no luck. He said he thought it fell behind a radio but he had no way to get it off. I offered to take it off using my trusty FJR toolkit. Sure enough it was behind the radio. I went to put away my things and he walked up to me with citation in hand I want you to know how much I appreciate your patience and help. Putting on my best friendly face I replied no problem inside Im fuming. Then he ripped the ticket up and told me to be careful. Back out on the Interstate feeling very relieved and somewhat better I felt the first rain drops. Within 5 minutes I am headed through a monsoon. Pulled off the next exit a got another room. Fever, vomiting and diarrhea all night. First thing in the morning I found a U-Haul dealership and loaded up the bike and headed home. Other than all of that I had a great time. NOT!!!
Chicago_FJR, cra-z1 and 2014oldred like this.

Bill P.
2008 FJR1300 abs
1980 XS650 Special II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wow!!! Just Wow!
Chicago_FJR and WmjP like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

It really sucks to be sick on the road. On the other hand, not ever do you walk away empty handed from a 125mph ticket.
In Ontario that would cost you in excess of 10G before it was all done, and you wouldn't need the uhaul until 10 days later to recover your bike from impound.

Guess it wasn't so bad after all....
WmjP likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 05:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Holy crap! Pardon the pun. I've had some lousy trips but never that bad. Even the worst I can look back now with some fondness.
WmjP likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

That is an epic tale of "what can go wrong, will go wrong". Good that the tale has a happy ending (you got home safely and have not given up riding).
passx and WmjP like this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

I threw my tent away about 10 years ago... Glad you finally made it home safely. Feeling ill and motorcycling don't mix to well. I got sick on the road once. Thankfully I felt better the next morning to continue my ride.
WmjP likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:49 PM
FJR Top Gun

Bummer. Yea that sounds like a pretty rough trip. Sorry you had to go thru that.
WmjP likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:16 PM
FJR Top Gun

I have never been sick on a multi day trip. I hope I never have to be. For sure the first thing I will do is get a hotel room and try to recover.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

125 mph actual is really, really fast....and he rips up the ticket.

Man, you almost bit it - and you are complaining.??

Flu, renting rooms and a u-haul, you're still in one piece and that heavy ticket in shreds...

I think an offering of thanks would be in order.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That's one of those trips that serves to provide an adventuresome memory and a wild story for the grandchildren. Wow!

I'm not much for tent camping myself, so I always motel/hotel on longer trips like that... but if I started coming down with that stomach flu or hershey squirts... I'd definitely put the bike by a hotel door and recover in a bed.

Did he ever find your license?

Last summer, I had a local county yokel just happen to be sitting by the side of the deserted two-lane where there's a 3 mile long straightaway. It's so deserted that I often let the bike eat a little. I was well into three digits and then I see him. Local guy in an old F-150 with police trim. I didn't hit the brakes but I let off the throttle and watched the rear views, wondering if he'd bother pulling out. Yep, he did. I pulled over immediately and followed the protocol. Remove helmet to show off the gray hair, smile and be really friendly. When he pulled up, he thanked me for stopping, saying he was surprised that I didn't just keep going. I told him I would never run from a P.O. He looked up my license, cleaner than a preacher's sheets... and told me he wasn't going to write me a ticket... but asked me how fast I was going before I started slowing down. Now, I may not be super-smart, but I wasn't born yesterday, so I just said I had been riding in the twisties all day and when the road straightened out, I didn't notice how fast I was going. I didn't tell him I was somewhere around 110 or 120, even though he had a pretty good idea. The LEO stayed super-friendly, asked lots about the bike (my Ninja-1K) and we talked about all the crazy people he must have to deal with out here in the backwoods. He waved and drove off. If he'd been a state trooper, I'd have probably been impounded since those guys almost never miss writing the biggest ticket they can. Then 2 months later, I noticed that my plate on that bike was long expired when the nice LEO had pulled me. The Lord was smiling on me that day.
Little Joe and WmjP like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page