Road trip to **** turned out okay - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Liquidsilver method is the way to go for sure.... pull over so he/she doesn't have to make you, helmet off to show you're older than dirt, have licence ready, and show that you're not in a hurry (no reason to speed), respectful, willing to have a chat, stick your guilty hand up only part way.... well done, sir, that is what has worked for me.
WmjP likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

I got stopped for speeding in WA a couple of years ago - only my second time ever, and 1st in about 25 years, and 1st ever outside of Canada, so I had no idea what to expect. On state hwy 821 - a lovely curvy road between Ellensburg and Yakima - with a ridiculously low psl (45mph/75kph as I recall) - I was doing about 60mph/100kph (i.e. 33% over) on my Wing. I did as Ray et al have said - pull over asap, helmet off, licence in hand, etc. The officer was very pleasant. He spent about 5 minutes in his car - a very anxious 5 minutes for me - then came out and told me he was only going to give me a warning, partly because I was from out of state and partly because I was not in the WA system. Then he told me to go easy ahead, as there were more police further south. Nice fellow.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

I was coming home from Norwalk Raceway Park, all hopped up on nitro and burning rubber. I was cranking down the Ohio Turnpike on my 81 Suzuki GS1100E. As I was pulling in the service plaza to get gas, I saw a few bikes pulling out. I quickly got some gas and went tearing out after the guys. Well ,I must have woken a trooper on his break because I did not see him... So I'm ripping down the highway, I see this car in my mirror and he is gaining on me. Next thing I see is his flashing lights! I got the speeding ticket, he said he could arrest me for reckless driving but wasn't going to. He lectured me about deer and the dangers of speeding... I thanked him for the ticket.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Then 2 months later, I noticed that my plate on that bike was long expired when the nice LEO had pulled me. The Lord was smiling on me that day.

Last May, I went down to AAA to renew my TX registration that was going to expire in July. I had the new paperwork folded up with my insurance papers in my glove box. In June, I went to put the sticker on my license plate. I pulled out all the papers to purge the old stuff, and and found the sticker for the previous year still in the folder. I had been riding around for over a year with an expired tag.

I mean, I had it with me, just not on the plate.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I got sick on a motor adventure over in Europe this summer. Had to turn in the bike a week early, change my flight, and fly home. Cost me a bunch of money. No refund on the bike time not used, and the cost of changing the Plane ticket, plus the up cost of the new ticket. Then it took another month before I was back to my normal self again.
WmjP likes this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

gosh dang, if it weren't for getting off without a ticket, I'd say that trip was about as bad as one could ask for.

Glad I've never had one of those trips. Just doesn't sound like any fun at all.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 33750 miles and counting
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:02 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It's trips like these that give me some of my best stories over the camp fire!

I have had some doozies. Surviving every one is a badge of honor.

If it wasn't exciting in some way, it wouldn't be an adventure.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

You think that's bad? I went berry picking about 5 days before a 10 day Montana trip. My fingers started itching about a day before we left. I didn't realize I had rolled around in poison ivy & it takes a while to set in. 3 or 4 days later my whole body was on fire with itching, riding in 95f temps. The worst & hardest part of it all was the struggle not to whine about it . I finally got ahold of the Dr. & got some meds. (steroids) . Meds. killed it in days & I was able to ride in comfort for the last 3 or 4 days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page