Mt Airy to VA Loop - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rbentnail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Mt Airy to VA Loop

Great technical loop through the NC and VA mountains. It's about a 5.5 hour ride. I'm experimenting with Garmin Basecamp (clunky POS that works with my Garmin 595lm) with back road routing (not as easy as google maps). Thought I'd post up for anyone that might want to try - also to see if exporting gpx transfers to others who have similar software.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mt Airy to VA Loop.zip (86.0 KB, 21 views)

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Maybe we can yak about it some tomorrow, I'm reasonably good with Base Camp.

Have you seen this site? https://www.hdcarolina.com/

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 07:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have gobs of south central Virginia, into Delmarva, some central-to-west NC and southeast NC/east SC routes in Base Camp if anyone wants to see them. IIRC when exported they are converted to generic .gpx files. A quick screenshot below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg generic routes.JPG (106.2 KB, 8 views)

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Love it! Itís a mash of spaghetti . Base amp is fickle, though I think I figured a way thatíll work - Changing a section from motorcycle to driving/vice versa allows for doing interstate travel then back roads. I was fighting with the darn thing when it made far more sense to ride the mains to the back roads.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector7g View Post
Love it! Itís a mash of spaghetti . Base amp is fickle, though I think I figured a way thatíll work - Changing a section from motorcycle to driving/vice versa allows for doing interstate travel then back roads. I was fighting with the darn thing when it made far more sense to ride the mains to the back roads.
The 595 is a strange creature in that, to it, "motorcycling" includes off-roading as well as on road so if you have motorcycling selected when map making, you will usually find yourself at the gated entrance of a cow pasture or crossing a river where there is no bridge. Switch everything to "driving" in both Base Camp and on the device and much of the fickleness goes away.

If a device chooses a route I don't want to follow I modify that route on the fly from the farthest point working to the nearest by picking points on the screen. Much like in Base Camp except you MUST start at the farthest point. Setting avoidances seems useless sometimes.

A good forum with some helpful people here -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/. Many questions have already been answered.
stu_m likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post

A good forum with some helpful people here -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/. Many questions have already been answered.
I have to second this!

Very good forum with plenty of knowledgeable people

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page