A trip to New Orleans - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

I live 45 minutes from NOLA. I only go there when I absolutely have to. That pretty much is how everyone that lives here feels about NOLA.

I think some folks see what they want to see. I think some folks are always a little bit on edge and see/feel danger that others don't recognize, the old Sheep/SheepDog/Wolf thing.

The last time I was in NOLA I was eating the most expensive breakfast I ever had in the Criollo Restaurant on the ground floor of the Hotel Monteleone. I had paid $350 for the privilege of sleeping there the night before, we attended a wedding and the reception was in that hotel. As we ate our lavish breakfast on fine china with a fine linen tablecloth and a waiter in constant attendance we watched two men and a woman share a syringe of something right outside the windows. They sat down on the sidewalk for a few minutes then they decided to have sex but apparently neither of the gentlemen wanted to be second in line. A slow motion fist fight broke out and eventually all 3 participants were arrested.

I am glad that out of state folks feel the way they do about NOLA. I personally hate the place and would like to think I see it for what it really is. I suppose that my experiences rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina may influence my impressions of the place.

All those things that @RBEmerson mentioned are true. But those are the flowers growing on top of the septic tank. YMMV
FJRChuck and the Ferret like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

Last edited by Redfish; 12-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well, this thread sure did go some interesting places.
Redfish, I've no doubt your intervention could have improved the non-city part of the trip. The tough part was that I had to basically abandon two of the trip days to the medical issue. That cut out the two days I'd intended to spend on two loops, one to the south and one to the west, in the hope of getting to do some rural sightseeing.
I was less reluctant to head for home when the Missus assured me over the phone we'd go back during the post-holiday lull via airliner and rent a couple bikes to see some bayou. That hope may have to be deferred, as other destinations seem to be calling.
The relationship between New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana brings to mind the one between Chicago and the rest of Illinois, although here the separation and contrast is more pronounced. The County of Cook, Illinois, which is basically Chicago and the inner ring of suburbs (not the entire metro area, though), represents about 40% of the population of the entire state! Talk about imbalance.
Chicago is a fabulous destination for tourists and locals doing tourist things, but the underlying problems of crime, corruption, and failed-state finances screw things up badly. The remainder of Illinois would be, in many estimations, a comparatively serene, middle-tier farm state of modest density if it was to be partitioned off.
No, it won't be, and the math is unusually hard. However, it is actually discussed, right up until you run into that 40-60 thing.
We have good affection for the rest of Louisiana, too. The Missus was formerly a high-level USPSA competitor who did the national circuit and has actually stayed at Jerry and Kay Miculek's place and shot the Gator Classic in the Shreveport area.
I guess there's just enough city girl and boy in us to give the Big Easy some traction, too.
I'll be back.
Redfish likes this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.

Last edited by Cherryriver; 12-16-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Sadly, NOLA doesn't have exclusive title to flowers on the cesspool (good metaphor, BTW). Avoiding any city out of a desire to avoid the unpleasant is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm hard pressed to think of a city that qualifies as "never again". Chinle AZ (part of the Navajo Nation) is about as close as we've been.

There are BTDT cities, but mostly because they were boring and/or didn't have services we needed. The Lake Havasu area is a good example of that. Memphis is close to that list. "All Elvis All The Time" ARGHHHH! Beale Street was hokey and underwhelming, despite my desire to find good blues there.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Yea I am not a city guy, I have just as much desire to visit Chicago, (or Atlanta, or New York City, or Miami or Cincinnati which I live 30 miles outside of) as I do to visit NOLA. All those cities are places I have to ride thru or around to enjoy nice quiet open country places that allow me the peace and serenity I seek when riding. Never liked antiques or old architecture, or other old stuff (although I do like looking at old motorcycles very much) but personally I have no desire to visit crumbling old buildings that smell funny, or look again at the furniture my great grandparents had. Ulysses S Grant's birthplace is 7 miles from my house. You can go in and look around for a small fee. I have lived here for 47 years and never been in the place even though I ride past it several times a week on my daily rides. It's just a little old wooden building with some old wooden tables and stuff inside (I've been told). For me, not worth looking at. I live about 40 miles from the house I grew up in. Rode past it once 20 years ago and thought it looked awfully small and awfully close to the houses on each side. Have no desire to see it again. Looking forward..not back.
FJRChuck likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

In a general sense, it's what someone brings to an experience.

Since the main theme here is NOLA, here are three examples. Walking around the Quarter, I found two For Sale signs of note. One, in a window, said the house is haunted. The other sign, hanging from a balcony, had "For Sale - Haunted" on one side and "For Sale" on it. I guess it's how you look at things.

I found a building with a large, faded sign painted on it "Emerson's Ginger Julep". I can't say as I have a need to sample it. But there's my family name in the sign! Woohoo! Isaac (IIRC) is at best a distant relative but many folks know about his contribution to those with upset stomachs - PeptoBismal.

Touring Mardi Gras World, I found something almost anyone who's looked billboards knows - the "Eat mor chikun" cows, and there was a Captain Morgan off in a corner. It's sort of amusing, in a trivia way, to know where they come from.

As I said, it's about what you bring to the experience.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I live 45 minutes from NOLA. I only go there when I absolutely have to. That pretty much is how everyone that lives here feels about NOLA.

I think folks some folks see what they want to see. I think some folks are always a little bit on edge and see/feel danger that others don't recognize, the old Sheep/SheepDog/Wolf thing.

The last time I was in NOLA I was eating the most expensive breakfast I ever had in the Criollo Restaurant on the ground floor of the Hotel Monteleone. I had paid $350 for the privilege of sleeping there the night before, we attended a wedding and the reception was in that hotel. As we ate our lavish breakfast on fine china with a fine linen tablecloth and a waiter in constant attendance we watched two men and a woman share a syringe of something right outside the windows. They sat down on the sidewalk for a few minutes then they decided to have sex but apparently neither of the gentlemen wanted to be second in line. A slow motion fist fight broke out and eventually all 3 participants were arrested.

I am glad that out of state folks feel the way they do about NOLA. I personally hate the place and would like to think I see it for what it really is. I suppose that my experiences rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina may influence my impressions of the place.

All those things that @RBEmerson mentioned are true. But those are the flowers growing on top of the septic tank. YMMV
Thanks for the honest opinion Redfish. Ive never been there but its not on my list either. I don't need to go places where "I wish I had my gun".
FJRChuck and Redfish like this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

The Fair and Honest side of me is forced to admit that New Orleans has some of the best food in the country. If you like to eat, NOLA can make you very happy.

Of course there are plenty of wonderful restaurants in South Louisiana that are NOT in the city of New Orleans!

I don't enjoy cities in general, I will ride or drive far out of my way to avoid one. I suppose that if someone liked cities, NOLA would be okay.

I did some work in NOLA right after Katrina. I saw some miserable things. I saw the side of NOLA that tourists don't see. I don't like cities and I really don't like NOLA. But I encourage folks to do what they like to do. If touring NOLA is on your list, by all means go there. I hope you enjoy yourself and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable time.

I will be about 45 minutes south and west of you.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well! The story shall evidently continue.
It seems the Missus, whom I will identify by her going first name TD, got an itch to set up some trips for the new year. Lake Michigan Circle, a few to La Crosse (one of the best destination/jumping off points in the upper Midwest), some southern Ohio and West Virginia, and lo and behold, a few days to visit the Big Easy again in mid-February just before the Mardi Gras craziness sets in.
She's a chef, and that has two impacts: getting time off is erratic at best. You never know when 250 people are suddenly going to need to be fed a nice dinner. And, scoring restaurants.
When I travel solo, a good Denny's and an occasional steak is all I need. Yeah, but when you travel with a 30+year food service professional, a venue like New Orleans is a deal of some import.
Our last trip did include the Commander's Palace, and to this day, she will tell anyone that's the best meal she's ever had in her whole life. I do not disagree.
She got a couple of kitchen tours, too, in famous places, by identifying her profession, and that's heavenly, too, to the right person.
So with time a bit short, we'll fly in this time, grab a couple of Yamahas at the Eagle Rider rental joint adjacent to the airport, and see what we can get into on the 17th-19th (if not another day).
She gets an MT-07, not too, too distant from her beloved SV650S, and I get stuck with a Tracer 900, for economy's sake: the respective daily fees are $49 and $79, which is downright cheap for motorcycle rentals in my experience.
Redfish, it could be your challenge might be put to the test.
Now, to get the appropriate weather ordered up. Hopefully I won't have to sneak in Gerbing hookups when the guy isn't looking. (Did that once on a Wing out of Denver and it was a very good idea.)
FJRChuck and Bill Lumberg like this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

We stayed in Bayou Segnett State Park near Westwego (I don't name 'em, I just write 'em down). It was easier and, considering parking in the city, less expensive to use Uber to get into the city. In general, when in doubt, Uber.

-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 08:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

@Cherryriver I have ideas. I do avoid the NOLA area as much as possible so I am not an expert on where to stay and what to do within that city. I can/will think about routes that tie into NOLA... In my area which is between NOLA and Baton Rouge, if I wanted to impress a chef from out of state I would bring them to Houmas House. Take the tour of that plantation and then eat there. Houmas House is the plantation tour that I recommend most, obviously there are others that are probably as good. Two of their restaurants are Superb. A drink in the Turtle Bar is also recommended.

Roberto's River Road Restaurant about 20 minutes upriver from there is always Fantastic. While it is neither "cajun" nor Creole, the food there never disappoints. I would think that a chef would enjoy the food, the location and a chat with Roberto.

I would also recommend Middendorf's in Manchac for their thin fried catfish. It may not impress a culinary expert but it is a fine representation of what our local fried fish is supposed to taste like. Morton's in Madisonville (NorthShore) is a Very Strong choice.

February is the Worst Month for us weather wise. Give me some exact dates and I will see what my options are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page