A December ride - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

A December ride

Took a 108 mile ride out in the country today, out thru Brown and Adams counties to the east of my home county of Clermont. Things sure look different when the leaves are down and the crops are in. Rode east through the curves out along the hills and then dropped south down to the river Terminus Of Zane's Trace in Aberdeen Ohio, and then back west along the banks of the Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane%27s_Trace

I sat there for a few minutes, sipped some hot tea from my thermos which felt good to ward off the winter cold, and enjoyed the Simon Kenton Memorial suspension bridge built in 1931 that runs from Aberdeen, Ohio to Maysville, Kentucky. They recently built a new bridge about 3 miles west of this one, but the old bridge is still in use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_...emorial_Bridge

The river is still used for barge traffic hauling all kinds of things. Always been a major trade artery for hundreds of years.

There are many little towns along the river.. Most were viable at one time, but are basically ghost towns today. Go thru this one, Higgensport too fast, and you don't have to worry about getting pulled over, they just mail you a ticket

about 25 miles west and you find this little sign as you enter my little town of New Richmond

100 yards further (and after a speed reduction of 5 mph), you see this

Gotcha. $ Cha Ching $

Of course according to the Mayor they are only trying to prevent accidents and save lives. Along this road we get a lot of traffic from Kentucky and West Virginia

Great ride. Had the roads virtually to myself all day.
SnuffySmith likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:13 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
HaHaHa, if the mayor wants to save lives, he should just install loud pipes on that pole!!! I understand those save lives too! LOLOLOL

It's good you got out for a ride.
the Ferret likes this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In Chicago which is not all that far from me, they spew that same bs about their traffic cameras while all the local media and others have studied that claim and found the only thing they do is act as a cash generator, nothing more. Big Brother is watching!

Ferret, I jealous, wish I could go for a beautiful ride like that, did you get any of this past weekends snow ? I was driving home from N-Hampshire Sunday and usually make 600-640mi but got stuck in Syracuse after only a few hundred. Thanks for sharing.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I was stationed in Ohio when I was in the Army. Riding in the agricultural areas was always a good time. I really liked the produce stands.

I took my first winter ride a few weeks ago. Rode to Marysville. Back in the late 1800's the largest town in Montana because of gold and silver mines in the area. Now a town of 70 nestled in the Rockies. 16 degrees f. and I would not have made it up there without 2 wheel drive.

swamp shark, FjrjrF and wiggy1 like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
In Chicago which is not all that far from me, they spew that same bs about their traffic cameras while all the local media and others have studied that claim and found the only thing they do is act as a cash generator, nothing more. Big Brother is watching!

Ferret, I jealous, wish I could go for a beautiful ride like that, did you get any of this past weekends snow ? I was driving home from N-Hampshire Sunday and usually make 600-640mi but got stuck in Syracuse after only a few hundred. Thanks for sharing.
passx...no snow here. We did have one small snow earlier this year but it only lasted one day. I missed one day of riding due to it.

Speed Cameras have been outlawed several times here in Ohio, but they keep putting them up. One local community is fighting having to pay back 3.6 million in fines they collected

https://www.journal-news.com/news/mi...iA1OO2ThnJWRM/

In July the Gov signed something to the effect banning them, well if they get money from them the state reduces it's contributions to the town by an equal amount

https://fox8.com/2019/07/04/law-eras...ffect-in-ohio/

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 12-05-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

The speed cameras really don't affect me much since I am not much of a speeder and I believe in slowing down for small communities anyway, but seeing as how they are operated by third party vendors who have a monetary interest in people getting cited and fined, you don't know how legit they are set up (as far as I know there is no standard of testing for them) and there is no one to argue with if you feel you were doing 34 in a 35 and got a $98 ticket for doing 37 in a 35 by the camera.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 03:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

WE had photo radar once... third party vans sitting on the side of the major highways... there was no tolerance, which I think was the single most upsetting thing... meanwhile if you got pulled over by a cop, they'd let you away with 20kph over on the highways (somewhat less in town). Eventually it got killed, this was years ago.... and in recent news, they are bringing it back mostly for school zones and in town streets. Probably won't be any tolerance there either, and they have reduced the speed limit in those zones as well.
G P Jones likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I was in Atlanta for a conference and had a rental car. The hotel was downtown and required that you use valet parking because the parking lot was sveral blocks away. it appeared that Somali immigrants had the valet business locked up. Over a month after the conference I get a letter from the City of Atlanta saying I owed them $76 because I ran a red light, and they sent a picture to prove it. Sure enough, there was my rental car with a very thin black fellow behind the wheel. I suspect those valet drivers cared not even a little about obeying traffic laws while shuttling cars around. I never responded to their demand for money.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Had a chance to get the FJR and the Monster out today here in TN, sunny and 57. It was a nice day for a ride, certainly considering it was December 5th. If you have the chance, get out there and twist the throttle.

Currently:
2004 Miata
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
2017 Ducati Monster
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Luca, good for you, wish I couldíve done the same but I had to work. Did get to see Santa & an elf go by on a newer Roadking though 😁

A few years ago I got dinged in Chicago by a red light camera for I believe it was $123 and the real pisser was a $25 convience fee to pay online, the thing is that if a cop had been there to see what happened iím Convinced he would have just let me go (woman on a cell phone pulledout in front of me so I was watching her and not the light) .

Getting the letter with a Picture of my plate just made me mad and then the convienence fee thing really set me off, my wife ended up paying it as I just wasnít going to give them squat.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page