Galveston - Lone Star bike rally - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dashlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Galveston - Lone Star bike rally

This past week I rode from KCMO area to Galveston, TX round trip. I rode through and slept through cold, had 24 hours of lots of rain, but attending the Lone Star bike rally was worth it. Total miles 1,860.

My original intention was to sleep in the hammock all nights and cook at the campsite. I abandoned that plan after lots of rain and finding my Galveston Island camp site surrounded with water.

Day 1 mon 10/28/19 - left home (near Orrick, MO) and drove to Devil's Den state park near Fayetteville, AR. I'm not sure what the temp was, but pretty sure it could have been lower 30's. I was sleeping in a hammock and didn't have nice enough equipment such as an underquilt and a winter sleeping bag. I wasn't shivering cold, but just cold enough not to sleep a lot.

Day 2 tues - rode to Oil City, LA, which is almost to Shreveport. They have a city park near a lake and cost is just $6. It rained the last half of the night, but I stayed dry and slept through it pretty much. However the next morning the campsite was a sloppy wet mess. I also parked my bike in this and it was very difficult to pull it backwards out of the mud and onto the pavement.

Day 3 wed - rode through lots of rain. Did pretty good for much of it, but one last rain was really hard, in traffic, trucks splashing on me, and I got very soaked. I dried it all off at a laundromat then headed on to the coastal highway to the east of Galveston. Took the ferry to Galveston and it started raining again. So I just went to a Days Inn and spent the night.

Day 4 thur - rode the length of the Galveston islands to the west. Then back to the Galveston Island to check out camp. Since it had water all around I found a hotel online and reserved it for 2 more nights. Checked out the Lone Star bike rally. They have 2 areas, one by the gulf, one closer to the bay in old Galveston downtown. Both have different things going on including live music. Listened to music by The Merle Travis show, Miss Intent, Stone Senate, and Hinder.

Day 5 fri - weather was perfect for a few days, made the bike rally really enjoyable. Just needed a jacket. Listened to a little country music then my highlight for the week: Highway to ****, an AC/DC tribute band. They really nailed the AC/DC music. They performed all of the Back in Black album (40 year anniv) and other songs. I started to listen to Scott Stapp from Creed, but I was tired and wasn't getting into the music.

Day 6 - long drive from Galveston to Fayetteville, AR - stayed with my brother.

Day 7 - 4 hour drive to get home and have lunch with wife and son.

A little more about why I did the trip... I retired a little early (56yo) 2 months ago. Travel budget is a little light for the first couple of years, then it may open more up after that. So I'm seeing if I can travel cheap on the bike and have some adventures. My wife does not want to ride motorcycles, and doesn't prefer the camping. But we'll make some other trips. So obviously this trip ended up costing more than I planned since I didn't camp all of it and ate out more than I intended.

I also completed 2 AR trips in September. 3 days, and 6 days. The second trip included Bikes Blues and BBQ bike rally. I was successful at sleeping in the hammock for both of those trips at Withrow State park but did not cook at camp.

Next trip will be likely be next spring when it warms up. Maybe will go to some national park in CO, UT, or TX.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191101_184921-EFFECTS.jpg (137.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20191101_155903.jpg (353.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20191101_140013.jpg (291.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20191031_185711.jpg (169.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20191029_180622.jpg (216.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20191028_174333.jpg (573.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20191027_131402.jpg (175.5 KB, 6 views)
rbentnail likes this.

2006 FJR1300A
Kansas City, MO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Despite the weather it sounds like it turned out pretty good. Thanks for the pics!

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:55 PM
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

Sounds like a good trip. We may have crossed paths @ BB&B. First time I'd done that trip on my fjr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page