FJR1300 Two Up - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:15 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm 6' 200#, wife 5'10" 160#, and then we suit up... I figure... ~400# all told by the time we're rolling - Never had a suspension problem riding 2up on day trips.
I'm sure things could be improved with some aftermarket parts and the help of someone that knows how to tune the suspension, but I'm not pushing anywhere near operational limits.
Biggest complaint from my wife is the pillion footpegs. I'm going to have to do something about moving them.
Red On Rockwell likes this.

"Oh bother," sighed Pooh as he armed the photon torpedoes.

2005 FJR1300A
Chicago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:18 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've done three multi-day rides with my wife as passenger and the bike fully loaded - side bags and 46L top case. I ride an '06 with a Gen 3 rear shock. The bike performs flawlessly and since we got the Seth Laam seats it's quite comfy too!

Zwartie
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B. View Post
I use my 2015 almost exclusively for 2-up with my wife. I added a Pirates Lair backrest, and lowered the passenger pegs. Stock springs (I leave the rear preload at the "soft" setting). I'm 5'9", 200lbs, she's 5'5", 130lbs. No problems.
Gary, my 2015 is outfitted like yours(pirates lair, lowered pegs). Did you change the seat? Are you able to flat foot it when stopped? Iím thinking of getting a new Gold Wing because I ride mostly two up and it has a lower seat height and center of gravity.
FJR16fan likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Wife and I (me: 5/10, 200#, wife 5/3, 130#) and while it's smooth and handles the weight very well, her main complaint was the lack of passenger space and lack of visibility around me. We'd do it again, but if we were going on a week long tour I'd drop the cash either to rent or buy a Goldwing or bigass Harley (whatever their models are with the tour case.)

May buy a Goldwing just for S&G when I take the '06 in for service. Reno's Powersports has a pair up for sale.

Hope that helps!

Will

--
"I am a poster child for 'Dont Do That!' -- Me, 8/2003
2006 Yamaha FJR | 2018 Ducati Monster
STOC# 4167 | IBA #11383 | MSTA | MaDOG | HOAME | Overland Park,KS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCS: 913-269-6379
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kej1953 View Post
Gary, my 2015 is outfitted like yours(pirates lair, lowered pegs). Did you change the seat? Are you able to flat foot it when stopped? Iím thinking of getting a new Gold Wing because I ride mostly two up and it has a lower seat height and center of gravity.
Stock seat. Yes, I can flat foot it. My wife and I rented a 2006 GW several years back. Nice bike, but neither me nor my wife got a thrill from it. When I asked her if we needed to buy one, she responded with, "we're not old enough".

'06 Suzuki DR650
'15 Yamaha FJR
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

I am 5'8" and wife 5'2". We are about320LB all told in riding gear. Even with fully loaded bags and top box, The rear preload is left in S position as the Higher rate is too rough.

Only changes made for wife are yam comfort seat and passenger pegs lowered 2".

Of the 110,000 km on my MY 14 more than half have been two up.

Oh and flat footing is highly over rated. In 40 + years in riding road bikes, I have never flat footed any of them except a 440LTD way back. Short guys learned a long time ago to pay good attention, when parking and slow speed operation.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In case you ever trade up, the modern (gen III/IV) t-rex bag guards donít interfere with pillion feet at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustGutsOG View Post
Mine handles two up excellently. I'm 5'10" 165 and she's 5'9" 150. Plenty of power and plenty of brakes. My only issue being with having T rex cages on the rear it pushes her feet a little further forward which can get in my way a little bit pedaling around at stops but once rolling it's no issue. YMMV

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
In case you ever trade up, the modern (gen III/IV) t-rex bag guards donít interfere with pillion feet at all.
I don't see how that's possible. Since they sit in front of the bag? She normally kept her heel pretty close to the front of the bag. I'd have to see a picture.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

They aren’t solid. The hoop above is well above the foot. The lowest part is below the heel.
My wife’s heel could touch the bag and not touch the bag guard. I was concerned about intrusion and chose bag guards specifically to ensure they didn’t interfere with the wife. I was not disappointed. With close to 100,000 miles on my t-Rex bag guards, I’ve managed to chip them up pretty good. Thinking about ordering another set.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in