• 1 Post By FjrjrF
  • 1 Post By Blueridgerider
  • 1 Post By the Ferret
  • 1 Post By Blueridgerider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Great ride for a great steak

When talking with my friend Mtneers (Ron) at the CB1100 East Coast Rally I found out that although he had been to Portsmouth Ohio several times, he had never been to the best place on earth (imo) to get a steak, which just so happens to be located in Portsmouth Ohio. We..being members of my family... call it RIBBERS (aka The Scioto Ribber) and go there by motorcycle 2-3 times a year. Steaks and baked potatoes are grilled outside over real hickory wood fires, and they are to die for. We call the rides "Ribber Runs".

So Ron and I decided to meet there. Today all the stars lined up, perfect weather forecast for West Virginia and perfect weather for southern Ohio so we agreed to meet at 12:30 today, It's about a 2 hour ride for both of us.He from West Virginia, and me from just east of Cincinnati, Ohio. I got there a little early (duh...I'm always early lol) and Ron (Mtneers) got there right on time.... and on his CB no less. I figured he would be riding his Goldwing. It was pretty cold when I took off (upper 40's) so I rode the FJR for it's wind protection.

Mtneers and Ferret at the Scioto Ribber aka RIBBERS

Steaks on the grill

Steaks on our plates ..16 oz Ribeye with baked potato. I had applesauce, Ron had baked beans, and it comes with dinner rolls. I also had Sweet tea and Ron had coffee

Mtneers about to take another bite of his steak

Had to laugh, I unconsciously said Mmmmm every time I took a bite. Did it about 1/2 dozen times before realizing I was doing it. Man, what a great steak.

After lunch, we headed over to the Mural wall. a 1/2 mile long display of dozens of giant murals painted on a flood wall. We stopped and took pics at the one for the Portsmouth Motorcycle Club the Nation's Oldest Cycling Club formed in 1893

http://www.ohiorivertourism.org/murals.html

After that we said our goodbyes, split up and headed our separate ways home.

Some ride pics..note my ride to and from was thru Shawnee State Forest, a nice curvy, hilly part of southern Ohio, made even better by the perfect weather and fall color change

Had a great time ...and an absolutely great steak. If you are in the area, you can't go wrong stopping in for a meal.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Well, it seems next spring I'm going to make a 'ribber' run, now that I've seen this!!! Thanks for the info!

Ride to eat, eat to ride!

Those look like 90 mph turns to me!

OK Ferret, it looks to me, from the link you posted, that I'll need a couple days to sort out all those restaurants and attractions and roads. Looks like I'll have to carve out a week!

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Well, it seems next spring I'm going to make a 'ribber' run, now that I've seen this!!! Thanks for the info!

Ride to eat, eat to ride!

Those look like 90 mph turns to me!

OK Ferret, it looks to me, from the link you posted, that I'll need a couple days to sort out all those restaurants and attractions and roads. Looks like I'll have to carve out a week!
Jim, let me know when you come down, or up..or over, and I will meet you there. I'd ride with you but if you're taking those turns at 90, I wouldn't really be riding with you, I'd be trailing by a far piece lol. I think I did see 80 once today, but that was on a straight away passing a corn hauler.
FjrjrF likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Niiiiiiice!

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Jim, let me know when you come down, or up..or over, and I will meet you there. I'd ride with you but if you're taking those turns at 90, I wouldn't really be riding with you, I'd be trailing by a far piece lol. I think I did see 80 once today, but that was on a straight away passing a corn hauler.
Hahaha! yea that 90 is mostly in my mind... Which I am told by the other half, I have less of everyday! Yea, believe it or not, it's harvest time in NJ also, I live way out in the NJ countryside. I've many times come around a bend with a farm vehicle spread across the roadway. That's when the ABS helps, but, I'm always on the lookout for that. Especially this time of year.
Usually when I see a road like your great pics, I'll ride it one way just to scout, then try it again at the speed I want! Will definitely drop you a line if I'm out that way for the 'ribber'.
the Ferret likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

What a fantastic trip Ferret. After looking at the photos it was. "Honey can we pick up some steaks to grill tonight?" Man they look great. When I lived in Virginia for 20 years and would ride all over western VA and eastern WVA. I moved 5 years ago and have ridden all over WNC since then and miss that area so I am in the beginning stages of planing a ride with a Va friend to spend a week riding back there but have never been west or north of Beckley and the gorge area in WVA. Any good places up near the border of WVA/Ohio we could check out? I have heard Ohio has a lot of nice riding and the pics sure look that way. Thanks
the Ferret likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
Any good places up near the border of WVA/Ohio we could check out? I have heard Ohio has a lot of nice riding and the pics sure look that way. Thanks

Sure check out 33/119 from Westin W Va over to 16, take 47 up to 77 and then hit Marietta... Lots of great roads in SE Ohio..just ton's of them

here are some great lops out of Marietta. Worth spending a couple of days there. Each colored loop is a different day

Blueridgerider likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Sure check out 33/119 from Westin W Va over to 16, take 47 up to 77 and then hit Marietta... Lots of great roads in SE Ohio..just ton's of them

here are some great lops out of Marietta. Worth spending a couple of days there. Each colored loop is a different day

Thatís awesome Ferret. Will print that out. I think you just helped me plan my next getaway. Happy 4th!
the Ferret likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
Thatís awesome Ferret. Will print that out. I think you just helped me plan my next getaway. Happy 4th!

Glad to be of help BRR.

if you want maps of loops in the Berea, Kentucky area let me know.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page