Redfish Rides the Black Hills + More - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Great report, excellent pictures..a journey without leaving your computer screen thanks to Redfish.

Glad you had a safe fun and exciting trip. What motorcycle trips are supposed to be. Thanks for taking us along on yours!
Redfish likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 09-28-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I just spent 30 minutes (at least) going through all the pics, and most of the explanations. Was happy to see some familiar Texas sites represented here - especially Caprock Canyon State park. My brother and I went through that area last November and got a little closer than we wanted to the buffalo in the park.

Like you and BigC, I am loving the quiet, stock pipes on my '17 - especially after the past 5 years on a bafflectomied '02 Concours. But I have to wonder why change pipes? Are they even more quiet than stock? Did you experience any performance gain?

We need more threads like this! Thank you for sharing!
Redfish likes this.

Current rides:
2017 Raven ES
Previous toys:
2002 Concours
1991 VFR750
1984 KZ700
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

@the Ferret I appreciate you reading it all.

@armstrong750 I was obligated to swap the pipes. Please go back and re-re-read the very end of the last installment, right after the pic of the instrument cluster with the trip mileage. That will explain why I had to swap pipes.

I do agree with you, we need more threads like this one. A decent Ride Report should make us all want to Go Somewhere and give us some information on where to go and what to do.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
@the Ferret I appreciate you reading it all.

@armstrong750 I was obligated to swap the pipes. Please go back and re-re-read the very end of the last installment, right after the pic of the instrument cluster with the trip mileage. That will explain why I had to swap pipes.

I do agree with you, we need more threads like this one. A decent Ride Report should make us all want to Go Somewhere and give us some information on where to go and what to do.
Sincerest thanks for your time, effort, and contribution. Honestly, I've been scrolling up, down, going back, moving over, refreshing. . . You've been MORE than generous. I'm happy for you all. Truly.

If you would indulge me this one request, if you have time, no pics needed but if you could list the towns you went through in my beloved Nebraska. I grew up just north of Grand Island, on I-80 but well east of your travels. No pressure though, only if you ever have time. After your wash your bike again, balance your cc receipts, polish the new exhaust, play with the cat, hug Red Jr., kiss your dear Mrs. R. and. . . . !! :--)

Patrick
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_FJR View Post
Sincerest thanks for your time, effort, and contribution. Honestly, I've been scrolling up, down, going back, moving over, refreshing. . . You've been MORE than generous. I'm happy for you all. Truly.

If you would indulge me this one request, if you have time, no pics needed but if you could list the towns you went through in my beloved Nebraska. I grew up just north of Grand Island, on I-80 but well east of your travels. No pressure though, only if you ever have time. After your wash your bike again, balance your cc receipts, polish the new exhaust, play with the cat, hug Red Jr., kiss your dear Mrs. R. and. . . . !! :--)

Patrick
Patrick, I have actually focused all of my attention on my bay boat, motorcycles are CHEAP compared to a dedicated fishing boat. My CC receipts read like a horror story, I am too scared to even look at them yet. Not worried about Stupid Cat.

You must have gathered that my carefully planned route avoids cities and larger towns as much as possible. I will try to list the towns along with Hwy #'s in a little more detail. It is important to me that folks are able to use some of my RR to help them plan their future trips.

I crossed into Nebraska on Hwy 25.
Hwy 25 toward (but NOT through Trenton), straight Hwy 448 over the Swanson Lake Dam

Right Hwy 34, Left Hwy 25
Left Hwy 6 thru Palisade, Hamlet, Wauneta and Enders
Right Hwy 61 at Imperial
Left 61/23
Right 61 at Grant
Left 30/26/61 at Ogallala
Right 26/61
Right 61 and across the dam between Lake McConaughy and Lake Ogallala

Stay 61 thru Arthur and then thru Hyannis

Hwy 2 thru Ashby and Bingham to Ellsworth
27/Mari Sandoz thru Gordon

That pretty much covers Nebraska I think.
wheaton likes this.

post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Patrick, I have actually focused all of my attention on my bay boat, motorcycles are CHEAP compared to a dedicated fishing boat. My CC receipts read like a horror story, I am too scared to even look at them yet. Not worried about Stupid Cat.

You must have gathered that my carefully planned route avoids cities and larger towns as much as possible. I will try to list the towns along with Hwy #'s in a little more detail. It is important to me that folks are able to use some of my RR to help them plan their future trips.

That pretty much covers Nebraska I think.
Sincere thanks, RF. That was above and WELL beyond anything I could have asked for. However, much appreciated. Like others have stated, I too recognized certain areas. What fun to be able to say, "Hey, I know where that is!".

Some of the rainstorms must have really been cold. And that sand at the end, when you crossed into LA (I think). I applaud you all. Well done!

Appreciatively,
Patrick
PS: rainy and cool in Chicago (but what great weather we have had!)
Redfish likes this.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_FJR View Post

Patrick
I was heading back through Ne. from Montrose Co. on the freeway getting pounded by a wind outa the south. 60 mph gusts. I had a brain storm to head north outa Grand Island, up into Sd. or even Nd. so it would be at my back. I was keeping an eye on the radar, big storm about 40 miles west, but going the same direction. I was shooting for Sioux falls. The storm took a hard right & I just made it into Yankton on the border. That was one of the best rides Ive had, I had no idea how purdy north eastern Ne. is. Going 70 mph with a 60 mph wind directly at your back through that hilly farm country is some good ridin
wheaton and Redfish like this.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Redfish,

Thanks for this ride report, as well as the ones you have done in past years. Have been through a few of your stops in Utah and Colorado, and you have me wanting to get out to the Rockies and see some more next summer. Your photos show some exciting road stretches that get me antsy to explore. Will map out your western route and travel much of it too.

You are a masterful story teller and each report is better than the last!

Much appreciated!!!
Redfish likes this.

Eric

2012 FJR 1300A
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

In hindsight (and because others pointed it out) I now realize that I should have done a better job of detailing Hwy #s and road names. I will make an effort to fix this soon. I am rather busy this morning and today but I will try to get this done.

Since I am already typing I will share some random Redfish thoughts on this.

Before I ever joined any motorcycle forum, before I ever took my first motorcycle trip, I was Lurking on ST1300 and FJR1300 forums. I was reading Ride Reports. I would toggle from Google Maps back to the RRs and play the What If I Ever Ride There game in my mind. Motorcycle folks tend to find and ride to the coolest places and see the coolest things, I learned things from RRs that the average tourist will never know.

I remember my GoldWing Cousin David telling me many years ago that riding with me was not like riding with anyone else. He was taking pics and posting to Facebook as we rode around the Deal's Gap area. His Harley riding friends back home kept asking, "Where ARE you?" They had ridden that same area but did not see half of what we saw.

I learned a LOT from reading Ride Reports on ST1300 and FJR1300 forums. I enjoy paying it back, or really paying it forward.

And now I have to go work on a boat...
wheaton likes this.

post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Redfish does great ride reports. If you have time go over to the ST1300 owners and find Uncle Phil ride reports. Lots of good reading there also.

He also has a website.

www.unclephil.us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page