Route Advice - Ozarks to Omaha - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Route Advice - Ozarks to Omaha

Ann and I are heading out on the FJR for a couple months via the following path;

Orlando > Ozarks (Clarksville) > Omaha > Rapid City > Yellowstone > Glacier > North U.S. Border > Duluth(ish) > U.P. Michigan (our cabin) > Toronto (Anns family) > Smokies > Orlando

Does anyone have a suggested route from Clarksville > Omaha? I'll be two up so nothing too insane but semi-insane is okay (Ann gives me SOME leaning latitude!). I am assuming north/ northewest out of the Ozarks into southern MO then ??

We have the other routes kind of figured out and make most of it up as we go (ain't that the best?). Suggested stops as we cross Northern North Dakota to Minnesota would be welcome as well

This will be our 250K miles milestone as husband / wife "two up" on a motorcycle ! 150K of that has been on FJR's since 2003

Thanks everyone !!!

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

how much time? 2 lane only? there's a river ferry between paducah and metropolis. sikeston mo. has a place called lamberts that has lots of food, and they throw rolls at you from 20 ft. away. rte 60 across mo(poplar bluff). nice views if you run into ar. mountian home to eureka.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy View Post
how much time? 2 lane only?
We can take as long as we need and care more about the ride / fun factor I stay away from interstates if at all possible !! The basic reason for not being too aggressive on the twisties is that the bike will be heavy two up and all the gear.

Thanks for the tip and I will pull out the maps and scope it out !!!

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

For your route from UP Michigan to Toronto, get off 401 once over the border and ride along Rt3, it's right next to lake Erie and follows it until you hit Port Stanley. Then you'd need to head North to get to Toronto. That route has lovely scenery and some nice quaint small towns along the lake to pass through.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

From Clarksville, highway 21 to Berryville and beyond is a very nice ride and not heavily traveled at all. I can't tell you much about the roads in Missouri, but 21 to Missouri is nice. Be sure to watch the signs, though. Hwy 21 makes a couple of turns you could miss if not being attentive.

If you've got a couple of hours to spare and are interested in handguns, I'd recommend The Saunders Museum at Berryville.

The Best Western Sherwood Inn in Clarksville has been good to us on group rides in the area.

If you have time while in Clarksville, plan to have lunch at the Oark General Store. It's a fun ride up Highway 103 to get there. If you hit it on the way north, you could go ahead and take Hwy 215 back west to Highway 23 -- also known as The Pigtrail -- and go north from there.

If you have time before the trip, go HERE and order the brochures.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hey Boofer! It sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope you'll keep me posted on your schedule so I can run over and meet up with you guys! (Not that I miss your silly mug, but it would be great to see Ann Margaret again. )

I don't really know how I'd go from Clarksville up to Omaha after you get out of the Ozarks... but I'd echo Mr. Ed's suggestion of taking AR21 up, after going through Oark. AR23 gets really dull and ugly after the Pig Trail, until you get to Eureka Springs... and that's pretty, but also pretty crowded with RVs. 21 through Kingston and Berryville to MO86 has more rural charm and traffic-free sweepers. Cut through Roaring River State Park (MO). It's pretty and looks a little like a Colorado trout stream.

Then, once you get to around Cassville MO or Neosho MO... your curvy road party is over. You know what a twisty sucker I am... but to me, even the two lanes are deathly boring and unscenic from that corner of the state all the way to Omaha... so this is where I find the interstate, engage my throttle lock and watch the miles go by. There are some cool roads by the rivers, but only brief segments are fun... and separated by long stretches of cornfields and dead ends.

Straight roads or not, I'd sure like to put wheels near yours and co-ride a little.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page