FJR Owners Forum banner

FJR VS Concours

67K views 62 replies 37 participants last post by  bounce 
#1 ·
Hello,
Has anyone had a Kawasaki Concours? (I know the specs on both lol) If yes what is the difference in handling (meaning fast canyon riding) and two up riding from the FJR?
Thank you in advance :)

Reactions: MrPalms
#4 · (Edited)
I had an 09 concours, loved it. It was fast, a bit unwieldy so at times. The earlier years of the new style ran hot and I think they fixed that in 2010. I believe the FJR had the same type of heat issues in the older models. From an ergonomics standpoint I did many many miles on the concours and it was very comfortable. The 2014 FJR that I have now is a tad more comfortable but not by a lot. Both bikes will last for many miles, IMO bikes are very similar in nature.

From a speed standpoint I was a lot more comfortable on the Concours in the corners than I am on the FJR. To me the bike just felt like it handled cornering better. Ironically the Concours felt much more piggish to me than the FJR in general.

If I had to buy again, I'd go with the FJR over the Concours but it would be a pretty close decision. On the Connie I'm not a big fan of the George Foreman saddle bags.

Attachments

#5 ·
I agree with the previous poster after riding both. The FJR just felt more refined and like it didn't have to try hard in the fashion department. I will say though, the Connie does have that keyless option and I haven't figured out how to get that on the FJR effectively yet (I think there some kluge options but nothing to write home about).

#6 ·
Well, you've had ten bikes in seven years. I'm jealous! Ha! Legitimate question, I wonder what they would say over at the Connie forum? Do tell. You currently have a gen II FJR. The latest gen III has better creature comfort. What year Concours are you looking at, vs what year FJR?

#7 ·
lol, Bikes are like beer, never enough :)

I was looking at the 2013 Concours VS possible upgrade to an ES FJR. I do like the ES option on the newer FJR's (looking at 2015).
So I am just getting ready for the next season.

#8 ·
I spent some time on a Connie and felt like it didn't handle as well as the FJR.

It's a heavier bike and it was not as nimble as the FJR.

Now the ZX-10 or 14 would be nice.

#10 ·
I was dead set on buying a 2016 C14 last March just because it was discounted to the hilt as a carry over and it checked enough of the boxes I was concerned with. Sitting on it for the first time I was oooh ahhh and then I moved it around a bit and found it heavy plus there was no way to flat foot it. The ooh aahh wore off pretty quick. Not that it's not a great bike for someone (taller) just not me. I was bummed out and then I spy'd the FJR one row over and tried it out. It was an immediate yes, this is the one.

The C14 takes premium fuel I believe whereas the FJR does not. No cruise on the Kawi as it's not ride by wire. The C14 as already mentioned has better power as the displacement would indicate. Yamaha, IMO, has made a better effort to keep the FJR relevant than Kawasaki has with theirs. Either bike would put a smile on your face twisting the grip. Enjoy whichever you decide to purchase :)

#14 · (Edited)
I tested the c-14 before buying the fjr, the c-14 is in my opinion one of the best and the dealer told me to ride it as long as I want just remember to come back, so I rode it for a while. My impressions were that it was very tall and top heavy which worried me for dropping it. The engine was fairly smooth but had some vibration at cruising speed until you dropped it into 6th gear. Handling was good but did feel top heavy. Engine wise the Connie seemed to be pretty good but seemed a little weak in the lower ranges with a terrific rush up top. The final thing that sent me to the fjr was the lack of a cruise control, if it had that I probably would be riding the Connie, because of the dealer involved.

The fjr just felt tiny compared to the c-14, less menacing. Engine wise the fjr was smoother throughout the range but still has the vibration zone in the 4-4500rpm range and had no 6th to avoid it when I bought my 2014a. The fjr feels much smaller and nimbler with more grunt down in the lower ranges. In a speed contest I think the fjr would spank the c-14 until the Connie got really wound up where it would drive away. As far as the cruise goes I don't know why Kawasaki doesn't get their collective heads outta their posterior and put a cruise on the bike, it's a tourer ! Looks are subjective, I love my my red 14a fjr, the styling is good, I wish they would do a bit more for rain protection (and reinforce the subframe properly) but that's about it, the Connie is a love it or hate it thing, the Connie in the Lawson green really trips my trigger Hubba-hubba ! And with all the issues I've had with my fjr I keep going back to the dealer for some word of when they're going to if ever put a cruise on it. I don't get it, it's the same with the triumph trophy, very nice bike, but expensive and not enough power, biggest complaint I've heard about it. And nobody seems to be driving the ship over at Honda, they're just adrift anymore, no direction.

#16 ·
I think the FJR is the better bike all around, so ditto some of the comments. I have also heard you really don't want to do a valve check on a C-14 due to access issues.

I have been tempted in the past for a C-14, but just doesn't feel right when I sit on one.

#17 ·
In 2006 they announced a heavily revised GTR1400, but it was a development of the GTR1000, not a new platform.
I respectfully disagree with that statement. The C14 is a TOTALLY different bike from the C10. I would say it is definitely a new platform since they share nothing but the name.

#19 ·
I completely agree with this. While Kawasaki did have the original Concours for many years before Yamaha introduced the FJR1300, the current Concours platform has nothing in common with the old 1000 except the name and the fact that both are motorcycles.

These are bikes, not horses. There is no bloodline or genetics to carry through the generations.

#18 ·
The FJR has a bigger gas tank, 'n gets better mileage.
The FJR goes 26K mi. between valve checks, Connie 18K, (I believe?) 'n the FJR is much, much, much, easier to check 'n adjust valves than the Connie.
For these reasons, I went w/ the FJR.
Now if'n ya need more horse power, then you'd want the Connie. Or a ZX1400. >:)

#20 ·
I have a A model Gen 3 and love it. I rode a C10 for many years.
I test road a C14 3 yrs ago and sadly didn't like it. Snatchy throttle, top heavy , less bottom end, and heavier.
If you are smaller, FJR fits better. There is not more pillion room on C14.
Now to clear up some stuff.
Since I got FJR , I have spent considerable seat time on C14as my friend at shoodabenengineering.com was developing a ECU flash for C14. IF the original 14 I rode had of had this flash that fixes all drivability issues, I would have never rode an FJR.

Wheel base IS longer on FJR buy about 1 1/2". Found this out because after running his C14 on dyno, followed by my FJR, had to readjust by this amount to get set on roller properly.

In side by side on road runs , stock C14 and FJR are dead even till about 70mph when Kwai starts slowly pulling away.

A flashed C14 otherwise stock, has 3 bike lengths on FJR BY 70mph and flat out walks away after that.
A flashed C14 gets better mileage than FJR and the 3L smaller Kawi tank will go farther than FJR. ( Have ridden long road trips with another friend nearby who got ECU flashed. ) the before and after are truly different bikes.
My stock FJR RAN 126hp next to 140+ on Stock flashed 14, same day, same dyno, corrected SAE numbers.

Now after putting 65000km on my FJR, I would not trade it for a 14( a riding buddy has double that on his 12 C14).

If you are after ultimate speed and like sounds of engine performance (read louder intake, less refined typeengine noises)the 14 is for you.
If you like quiet refined riding with still more performance than most think it capable of, the FJR is for you.

Handling is very comparable and C14 weight difference shows IMO. (It is harder on tires).

When it comes right down to it, the best rider will be faster on either bike, but if you take corners out and do only straight line performance, the FJR will always be bringing up the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Forgot to add... one of the biggest factors in choosing FJR OVER 14 is PIA factor of valve adjustment. C14 will take you twice as long as FJR and require more advanced vocabulary. Whether you do it yourself or pay the man, you lose either way, time and frustration and or $$.

In general the C14 seems to be capable of doing just as well as FJR in accumulating trouble free high miles( valve maintenance not incl).
IMO FJR has slight advantage in holding its value down the road , compared to the 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FTL900
#25 ·
C14 is on my radar as next bike and has been for a long time. Had an '86 C10 yrs ago and I did ride a C14 at the Int'l bike show a few yrs ago... guided route so I wasn't able to really stretch its legs. I'm always checking Craigslist for both FJR and Connie and I read the forums for both bikes. However, I'm only 3.5 yrs into ownership of my '05 FJR and I still love it everyday so a Connie 14 is not in my near future. But when it is, it will a GEN2 bike (2010+) and I'd like to find one of those bright green models (not sure which year). As others have mentioned, the resale of the C14 appears to be dismal. I've seen bikes sit on Craigslist for months and longer. If overpriced, they will sit and sit. The valve adjustment on the FJR is a piece of cake compared to the C14 but as I have always done all of that myself, I'm not concerned about it. If for some reason a C14 doesn't work out, a GEN3 FJR would be next.
Regards,
Mr. BR (currently very happy with 65K '05 as my daily driver)

#35 ·
Just a thought here, your '05 FJR is a Gen1 bike. Unless that C14 is simply something that you HAVE to have, why not try a current Gen FJR? A LOT of things have changed from '05 to the current FJR and if you have not experienced this you may be missing out on something wonderful. The FJR has evolved in virtually every aspect since the Gen1 bikes, the only things that have not changed are the saddlebags and the fuel tank.

I completely understand why someone would want a C14, I personally came very close to buying one. The dark blue and the dark burgundy colors really appealed to me. The two biggest minuses for me were the clutch/brake fluid reservoirs and the lack of cruise control. The plastic reservoirs while saving weight and being easy to check for level really looked cheap compared to the other top level sport tourers. Honda and BMW in particular do a very classy job with these items. I could not help but wonder what other items on the big Connie were "cheap".

No matter which of these wonderful bikes we ride, they are both fully capable of wonderful things and traveling to wonderful places.

#26 ·
Another big difference between the two are the way the linked braking systems work on the kawasaki compared to the Yamaha. The system on C14's before 2015 are terrible, way too intrusive. Just applying a little rear brake will make the front dive. The system got better after 2015 but is still a PIA, IMHO. I hardly noticed my linked brakes with the FJR when I bought it and started riding it earlier this year. Thats the way it should be.

I hear comments on the Concours forum where people say they have no problem, they don't use the rear brake in order to avoid the problem. Well that right there is a big problem for me. People have gone to creative measures to unlink the system. I would ride one first to see how you feel about it. Mark

#27 ·
My buddy has a 2015 that I've ridden a few times up in the Mountains. For me the bike is all about the motor. Fit and finish is very good, I think better than my FJR. Styling I much prefer the FJR, I just don't like the looks of the back end of the KAWI. The singular reason the Concourse will never make my short list is the lack of cruise control.

#29 ·
Owned a 2014 Concours for two years Loved it... Just pulled trigger in a left over 16 FJR and very happy so far.
One thing I noticed right away on the FJR was through the twisties in the corners I did not get any wallowing at stock suspension settings... I was very inpressed !
On my Concours I had to dial the suspension to about 90% hard to keep it from wallowing in the corners. (which made for a rougher ride).. So far I'm very impressed and happy with my bike..
Goodbye C14 hello FJR !

Attachments

#30 ·
I really considered the c14 when I was looking, they had the Eddie Lawson green that I like just about as much as my fjr 14 red, but the lack of a cruise control and a very tall saddle were deal killers for me, also a minor thing was that butt ugly muffler, looks like an after thought. Other than that it was a very nice running and riding bike, very quick and builds speed effortlessly and at that time being able to click into 6th for a very smooth ride was nice. Compared to the fjr I believe the fjr has much more low end grunt, it would be great to run one side by side just to see how they compare. The fjr sure feels a bunch smaller and nimbler. With all the troubles i’ve had with my fjr I re-looked at them to replace the fjr, but again no cruise(what the heck are you thinking Kawi ?) and it being so tall and top heavy made me like my fjr again. Just my opinion

#31 ·
I really considered the c14 when I was looking, they had the Eddie Lawson green that I like just about as much as my fjr 14 red, but the lack of a cruise control and a very tall saddle were deal killers for me, also a minor thing was that butt ugly muffler, looks like an after thought. Other than that it was a very nice running and riding bike, very quick and builds speed effortlessly and at that time being able to click into 6th for a very smooth ride was nice. Compared to the fjr I believe the fjr has much more low end grunt, it would be great to run one side by side just to see how they compare. The fjr sure feels a bunch smaller and nimbler. With all the troubles i've had with my fjr I re-looked at them to replace the fjr, but again no cruise(what the heck are you thinking Kawi ?) and it being so tall and top heavy made me like my fjr again. Just my opinion
Height was definitely a factor for me when I was shopping in '07. My 5'10", 185 lb self felt that the Connie was simply too tall for me but I still tell people that if I were 3 or 4 inches taller and about 60 lbs heavier I'd prolly still be riding a C14 tho.

Reactions: passx
#32 ·
5-9, 30".
I lightly tested both a C14 and the FJR. The FJR has a Saddlemen seat, so that could be a variable, but I'm not sure.
The Connie sits lower/easier for me than the FJR. I believe this to be related to width just as much as height.
It's also possible this FJR has other, unknown mods, but- it's wide.
The FJR makes me a little nervous, actually, despite my 3/4 million miles of experience, much of that on tallish Kaws.
I bought the FJR simply because of the deal being better than the one on the Connie. Once we get temps above freezing, I will discover the wisdom or error of my ways.

Reactions: FjrjrF
#33 ·
I've ridden them both; the FJR definitely has much better slow (by which I mean parking lot slow) speed manners. The KAWI's center of gravity felt higher to me. Agree about cruise control, nobody should put "tourer" in a description without cruise control. I'm thinking maybe KAWI is going to drop the Concours in favor of that 1000cc supercharged tourer they came out with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.