Beware the $10 Doohickey! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Beware the $10 Doohickey!

Ever wondered what lies behind this panel?

The $10 Doohickey, thats what.

I went to the local dealer (motorcycle dealer that is) this morning and asked for a handful of Doohickeys after finding during servicing, that the originals had become unusable. They go out of shape, perish and the nut part of the assembly becomes detached.

Note also that the Doohickey is only the middle part of the assembly. It does not include the whole rubber outer ring which holds the Doohickey in place.

Said the dealer to the naive purchaser (that's me), "are you sure you want a handful, they're $10 each don't you know?"

After picking myself off up the floor, I purchased two and counselled myself not to overtighten said 'Doohickey' in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

If it's any small consolation, I've taken my 06 almost completely apart bodywork-wise and never seen such a part. It would appear they improved their design?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gav, this will spoil your day. About 6 months ago Bunnings moved location near us. In their relocation sale I scratched through their clearance bins buying things I'll never use at a fraction of their marked price (I do that - it drives Zea mad. I have a whole drwer in my garage labelled 'New and Unused things Dad has Bought" - courtesy of my son doing a cleanup one day)

From the clearance bin I bought 2 packs of $10 doohickeys for about $2 each Thank you, now I know where I can use at least one See if you can place for another 9 (I have ruined 2 playing with 'projects')

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

David

You can use at least two, there is one on each side
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Looks like a "well-nut" to me--Lowes hardware sells them for $.85 ea.
bobtenerife likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yup, plain ol' well-nuts.

Dime a dozen. I think I only mangled one in all my tank ups and downs on FJRs.

Every piece of bodywork on the Ducati is held in place by those confounded things.

Oh, all the windshield screws are held by them, too. Pays to have a handful or two in the old parts bin.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm a great fan of "cable tie engineering". Cables, pipes, do-hiccy securing, panels - amazing. My brief experience in karting showed me ways to use zip ties and fuel tube / plastic pipe to re-align lines, cables and piping plus isolate them from supporting framework and vibration. A speedway mate who has forgotten more about the sport than I'll ever know (and he ain't forgot anything) showed me a high specs "cable tie" that had very small metal jaws and v strong "loop" section. He said he had seen guys racing with the rear part of the bike frame fully cracked through but held in place with a few of these high spec zip ties and a file as a side by side bracing across the break. I guess if it gets you in the final for the night hey whats not to like.

Screw-in do-hiccies do have their place but the humble cable tie is an essential in my tool kit.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenz
I'm a great fan of "cable tie engineering".
Goodness - there's another in my drawer of "New and unused things Dad has bought". I think I have a pack of every size cable tie ever made. I also attribute that to my karting days

IBA 21684

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ah yes, one can never carry too many left hand threaded, "well-nut doo-hikkies" or the 21st century equivalent of the number 8 fencing wire - the humble cable tie - in all its varied glory. I wonder what happened to the original patent holder of the cable tie.

It's interesting though, some of the very simple plastic moulded parts that we take for granted have an enormous technological production requirement from precise design, production of raw materials then on to actual commercial levels of production. An image springs to mind of this massive cone shaped vat of fuming ingredients and technology and out pops a tiny, pristine do-hicky of unutterable intent which can only be used as an essential element of some other equally technologically dependent machinery.

I like do-hickys and cable ties - they're so "simple"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenz View Post
Ah yes, one can never carry too many left hand threaded, "well-nut doo-hikkies" or the 21st century equivalent of the number 8 fencing wire - the humble cable tie - in all its varied glory. I wonder what happened to the original patent holder of the cable tie.
Cable ties were first invented by Thomas & Betts, an electrical company, in 1958 under the brand name Ty-Rap. Initially they were designed for airplane wire harnesses. The original design used a metal tooth, and these can still be obtained.
lmracefan15b likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page