PR4GT tires disintegrating?! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By B-girl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

PR4GT tires disintegrating?!

Hi!

I bought a 2006 FJR1300 abs in October 2015 which had PR4GT installed in May 2013. I don't know the full history of the tires but looks like no more than 4000 miles were put on them and they looked like new. I just finished a trip and have put 5000 miles total on since I got the bike last fall, with about 1500 miles of those done this past weekend. This morning I noticed my front tore was wearing a lot more on the right and cupping quite a bit - to the point of no more sipes to the right. Tire pressure was 36psi. This afternoon after 150 miles from this morning I have cords showing on the right side and the rubber seems to be disintegrating! And there seems to be an air bubble in my sidewall??

I am riding in BC, temps this weekend have been between 6 and 20 degrees celcius, more rain than dry. I am not what I would consider to be an aggressive rider. Is this a bad tire? Something wrong with my forks? Or...? I need new tires obviously but am reluctant to buy another set of the same unless I can figure this out. Any help is appreciated.
Barry58 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have had a set of PR4GTs on my FJR, and have had the severe cupping on the front too, but no disintegration as you describe. I have a second set ready to go on in a few hundred miles and will keep an eye to see how they wear this time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

B-girl,

Sounds like that tire is toast. Not safe at any speed, now. 9000 miles is a lot of tire miles, on the FJR. Call it good and done.
On a technical note, tires can be installed long after they were made. Sometimes a dealer does not sell tires fast enough to keep the stock fresh.
A "new" tire may not be that new, really. You can check the real age of the tire using the picture here (scroll down a bit).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

I get kinda antsy when any tire gets to be five or six years old, no matter what tread is left. The FJR asks a lot from the tires.
New rubber will greatly improve the feel and handling of the bike, maybe to a surprising degree.

Cheers,
Red

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
On next set, run front tire at 40psi and rear at 42.

My anger management class really pisses me off.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
On next set, run front tire at 40psi and rear at 42.
Welcome back Mad...

A naughty Stone-Gray vixen...
Birthed in the year of our Lord, 2013.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

B-girl, a seach for tire cupping should bring up plenty of threads, but the cuprit and solution is always tire pressure. Use Mad's recommended 40/42 and go through a suspension set up for the rear shock at front forks. Plenty of threads on that as well. Welcome and enjoy!

2006 Cobalt Blue FJR1300
Throttle Meister
MV Riser Plate
Pirate's Lair Backrest
Spencer Mod Seat
Cal Sci Large Windscreen
MCL Lowering Passenger Pegs
T-Rex Sliders & Luggage Guards
RAM GPS & Phone Mounts
Michelin PR4s
Some Cheap Blue Leds
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Tires wear faster as the tread life goes away. If that makes sense. In other words; once you get to the last third of the tread life it goes quickly.
You were just caught by surprise at the condition of the tire because you were not inspecting it on a regular basis at the end. That is a lot of miles for those tires and they will wear unevenly when ridden past their replacement mileage. And you were way beyond that.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
B-girl:

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new (to you) bike. If you've ridden 5,000 miles in the Pacific Northwest since last October I think you pass any rational person's criteria of a committed rider. After a 45-year absence I moved back to Oregon four years ago. This last winter was the most unremittingly dreary one since my return. You go!

I echo the previous responders that you should pat yourself on the back for getting 9,000 miles out of the tire and treat yourself to a new one pronto.

Ride safely and have fun!
Bob Stewart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page