Any Tech Gurus Near Dayton, OH? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By NormKern

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Any Tech Gurus Near Dayton, OH?

Left my '14 FJR ES with a good friend while I was on vacation so he could do valve clearance check, throttle body sync & rear suspension linkage check & lubrication. Turns out he was too busy with family stuff & didn't get it done. Thinking about picking up the bike & doing it myself now that I'm back. (Located in Dayton, OH area.)

Have a heated, well-lit fully equipped shop. Have done my own work on lots of bikes over the years. I can put a "skyhook" together to hold up the bike for taking the centerstand off to do the rear suspension linkage, but it would be nice to have someone who has done this stuff to supervise and lend an occasional hand when needed.

Anyone in the area who would like to help?

Norm Kern
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormKern View Post
Left my '14 FJR ES with a good friend while I was on vacation so he could do valve clearance check, throttle body sync & rear suspension linkage check & lubrication. Turns out he was too busy with family stuff & didn't get it done. Thinking about picking up the bike & doing it myself now that I'm back. (Located in Dayton, OH area.)

Have a heated, well-lit fully equipped shop. Have done my own work on lots of bikes over the years. I can put a "skyhook" together to hold up the bike for taking the centerstand off to do the rear suspension linkage, but it would be nice to have someone who has done this stuff to supervise and lend an occasional hand when needed.

Anyone in the area who would like to help?

Norm Kern
Hey, Norm! I too need to do a valve check...a little overdue actually at 34,500 miles on my '14ES. There should be a tech day setup near Columbus, OH in the spring. Look on the fjrforum for an announcement and I'll try to remember to let you know when we know the date!

Naturally air conditioned since 1979
IBA #59875
'14 Yamaha FJR1300ES (VIN #15)
'08 Yamaha FZ6, '08 Yamaha FJR1300AE, '93 Yamaha XJ600, '84 Yamaha FJ600, '81 Yamaha 550 Maxim, '78 Yamaha 400 SX...see a pattern here?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a031363 View Post
Hey, Norm! I too need to do a valve check...a little overdue actually at 34,500 miles on my '14ES. There should be a tech day setup near Columbus, OH in the spring. Look on the fjrforum for an announcement and I'll try to remember to let you know when we know the date!
I'm sure my work will be done long before then, BUT it would be fun to attend a tech day and see how others do things, hang out & get acquainted with people.

Thanks!

Norm Kern
[email protected]

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
2016 FJR 1300 ES, 2000 Suz DRZ 400e
MSTA FlyBy Week event coordinator
Motorcycle Sport Touring Association VP
Iron Butt Association member
Dayton M/C Ohio Life Member

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Post up what the actual clearances were/are when you get around to checking.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Winter Mintenance Wrap-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Post up what the actual clearances were/are when you get around to checking.
Got my bike back on Tuesday, Dec. 29th. Idles smoother after valve adjustment, TBS, rear suspension linkage service. Replaced spark plugs with new iridiums, even though old ones were fine. Coolant flushed & replaced as part of the job. My friend charged $600 total parts & labor.

For those interested in valve clearances, here's what we found. (First clearance check, 41k mi.)

-Valve clearance check (INT 006-008, EX 007-010)

Cylinder L-R 1 2 3 4
Initial clearance EX: 008 008 009 010 008 009 007 008
INT: 006 005 006 006 005 005 006 006

When we saw that two intake shims were below minimum spec and that we would be pulling a camshaft anyway, we decided to change all shims that were below max spec. except #2 exhaust which was already at maximum. Since valve clearance either stays the same or closes up, this assures we will probably never have to change one again. Everything is max spec now.

Thanks to all who offered help or advice!

Norm Kern
philharmonic and Little Joe like this.

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
2016 FJR 1300 ES, 2000 Suz DRZ 400e
MSTA FlyBy Week event coordinator
Motorcycle Sport Touring Association VP
Iron Butt Association member
Dayton M/C Ohio Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page