Picking an Oil Filter - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Picking an Oil Filter

Ya know picking which oil filter to use should be easy. It should screw on. It should be the right length and diameter. All the guys on all the forums should say it's great. A few years back I got some K&N's because I liked that 17mm nut. Well I got two in a batch which said they fit the bike but the threads were cut wrong (I'm pretty sure they fixed that.) Then I got some Purolator Ones and put them on four different bikes and had no problems at all. So I see this Bosch D3323 and it does everything but feed me a sandwich during the install. Put it on start the bike and have oil all over the floor. It had the plate with the screw in it installed wrong. Got another and it worked fine. Well I go to put another in. Can't find a "D" anywhere but AutoZone had the 3323's. Put it in, go for a ride and at my first stop, oil on the ground. Not a lot but any is too much. Sounds like construction problems like my first D. Well I wound up paying $6 more than the Bosch for a Mobil 1. AutoZone doesn't have Purolator Ones. Only other one that had that would fit was a Fram. I'd rather cram a rag in the hole than use a Fram. It shouldn't be this hard
CC Rider likes this.

Last edited by OldButNotDead; 06-28-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Ya know picking which oil filter to use should be easy. It should screw on. It should be the right length and diameter. All the guys on all the forums should say it's great. A few years back I got some K&N's because I liked that 17mm nut. Well I got two in a batch which said they fit the bike but the threads were cut wrong (I'm pretty sure they fixed that.) Then I got some Purolator Ones and put them on four different bikes and had no problems at all. So I see this Bosch D3323 and it does everything but feed me a sandwich during the install. Put it on start the bike and have oil all over the floor. It had the plate with the screw in it installed wrong. Got another and it worked fine. Well I go to put another in. Can't find a "D" anywhere but AutoZone had the 3323's. Put it in, go for a ride and at my first stop, oil on the ground. Not a lot but any is too much. Sounds like construction problems like my first D. Well I wound up paying $6 more than the Bosch for a Mobil 1. AutoZone doesn't have Purolator Ones. Only other one that had that would fit was a Fram. I'd rather cram a rag in the hole than use a Fram. It shouldn't be this hard

good luck with that shotgun approach .....................

never found ANYTHING better than stock oem

many tests not long ago found similar results

lots o marketing & crap out there

https://www.google.com/search?q=afte...hrome&ie=UTF-8
the Ferret likes this.
post #3 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Believe it or not some filters ARE better than others. No guys I'm not a Troll starting some BS thread on which filter is best. Over the years there have been some independent tests of filters. Don't think the Purolator One's were the best but up near the top. Fram's were bad and those reusable Scott filters were terrible. I just posted because I was P.O.'d with the Bosch. If you could get it to fit, it should be a good filter. Since Henry Ford started assembly lines a couple of companies have figured out how to make parts "fit" what they were supposed to "fit." K&N had an issue with that and fixed it. Seems like the Bosch boys are having difficulties with the concept.

post #4 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

I use the Wix 51358 which Wix specifies on its site Click Here.
btl68 likes this.
post #5 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I order my Purolator Ones from Amazon.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

I like the K&Ns mainly for their good reputation in aftermarket filters, but the 17mm nut was a deal maker. I also got fed up with those other brands that never seemed to seat right and an oil on my garage floor is completely unacceptable. I also got a good deal on Amazon when I purchased 6 of "em.
jspicoli likes this.

LIFE IS LIKE RIDING A BIKE, TO STAY BALANCED YOU HAVE TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD............EINSTEIN
post #7 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
I like the K&Ns mainly for their good reputation in aftermarket filters, but the 17mm nut was a deal maker. I also got fed up with those other brands that never seemed to seat right and an oil on my garage floor is completely unacceptable. I also got a good deal on Amazon when I purchased 6 of "em.
That's what I intend to do. Might get Purolators though unless they are still that fugly yellow color.
post #8 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I get 20% discount at local Yamaha dealer, so I picked up a few OEM filters when I bought the bike.
Dealer did 600 miles service, but I had a **** of the time getting old filter off, (had to use screwdriver to punch a hole to get it off), which makes me wonder if they even changed oil at all. (after 4k miles oil was dark)

I will never have dealer do anything but warranty work from here on.

My anger management class really pisses me off.
post #9 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
When you drain the oil and change the filter there is still about a quart of old oil left in an FJR motor / clutch / transmission. The new oil turns darker pretty quickly. Now then, that should keep the anal retentive riders awake at night.
OldButNotDead and HFJeff like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #10 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
When you drain the oil and change the filter there is still about a quart of old oil left in an FJR motor / clutch / transmission. The new oil turns darker pretty quickly. Now then, that should keep the anal retentive riders awake at night.
I spent a year sitting in the Fulda Gap dreaming about a Yamaha XS650 back in 1971. Even had a model of it on my nightstand. On the back cover IIRC of Cycle World was an advertisement for it where a guy rode it around the outside of Australia and hadn't changed the oil since he bought it. When the oil did come out it stacked up on the ground like a Frosty from Wendy's. Maybe oil is over rated.
FlyWheelFJR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page