Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Parts & Servicing (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-fjr-parts-servicing/)
-   -   Picking an Oil Filter (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-fjr-parts-servicing/62618-picking-oil-filter.html)

OldButNotDead 06-30-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRBND8D (Post 653602)
Not good! Have been using the D3323 since the first oil change. Without a hitch. Will be keeping a 'closer eye' now. Here's to hoping, if it was a production problem, it was a one time, and limited one.

I got a response from Bosch. They said the filter was designed for cars not bikes. This was my response. I think it about covers it.

Thanks Raymond, but I've been around automotive products for a few days, more like 50 years. That filter cross references about a dozen other filters from Wix, Purolator, Mobil 1, etc, etc. Unlike cartridge filters, spin on's fit lots of vehicles. Those other filters that the 3323 and D3323 match, have worked on five motorcycles and three cars I have owned. The majority of motorcycle spin of filters are car filters. What this means to me is that the Bosch filters have some loose manufacturing specs when it comes to the container of the filter. That was especially true on my first issue with the D3323. You could measure the difference between the threads and the rubber seal on the defective one and the rest of the filters on the shelf. I'll be passing this information on to the MC community.

Mr_Ed 06-30-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldButNotDead (Post 653866)
I got a response from Bosch. They said the filter was designed for cars not bikes. This was my response. I think it about covers it.

Thanks Raymond, but I've been around automotive products for a few days, more like 50 years. That filter cross references about a dozen other filters from Wix, Purolator, Mobil 1, etc, etc. Unlike cartridge filters, spin on's fit lots of vehicles. Those other filters that the 3323 and D3323 match, have worked on five motorcycles and three cars I have owned. The majority of motorcycle spin of filters are car filters. What this means to me is that the Bosch filters have some loose manufacturing specs when it comes to the container of the filter. That was especially true on my first issue with the D3323. You could measure the difference between the threads and the rubber seal on the defective one and the rest of the filters on the shelf. I'll be passing this information on to the MC community.

Thanks for sharing. I contacted them as well with the picture of both concave and convex and never got a response.

I don't have near the expertise a lot of you guys do, so I've always been a little hesitant to use a filter just because it fits. When I decided to use Wix I went to their web page and looked up the filter for my bike. If it hadn't been there, I'd have done something else.

road1dog 06-30-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FjrjrF (Post 653538)
Wify tells me vinegar and water cleans REAL good, gunna try dat nixt time. Ha, thanks for the laugh!


seriously hope you guys are joking

there are places in an engine that dont drain well

there are places that cavitate & maybe there are air pockets

truly OLD / AGED oil will grow microbes / fauna / acids
you really dont want to run that back up into the engine

using a thin weight oil at a high temperature will clean an engine well

to clean a sump if youre NOT going to drop the pan

use cheap thin oil at very high temps.......220-240 degrees
pour in 6 quarts that will have a level higher than the standard 4 quarts .........drain then pour in 6 quarts
kerosene at very high degrees

DO NOT RUN ENGINE !!!!!
running the engine flows detritus up INTO the engine

HIGH DEGREES obtained from heating with boiling water NO OPEN FLAMES

even tho the engine hasnt been run for an extended period o time
last time it ran more than likely it drained most o the oil back to the sump ................................

after the kerosene replace with oil run engine as hot as possible
at a fast idle there is little load on the engine
high temp for a few minutes is Not usually detrimental

the sump will be clean
new oil will flow & flush
the new filter will do ALL the work

if the lifters pump up & quiet down
good oil pressure on a gauge
no miracles performed

better NOT to pump old oil up into the engine

OldButNotDead 06-30-2015 11:46 AM

Hey dog,
Good write up, but how often do you think ya need to do something like that? My 2014 was on its third change when I dumped it the other day. Old oil was in there between 3 and 4K. It was dark brown but it sure wasn't like chocolate milk. Yes, the man said there is maybe a quart of oil lurking inside that engine. That sounds like a lot, maybe not. But in any event the new stuff will wash out the old. If your anal about oil like me get good stuff and change filters every time you change oil. Oh, BTW, oil will change colors to a dark brown because of the heat of the engine. Ever think we just might worry about oil too much????

Note: pretty soon I'll be going to 8K oil changes. This change was a preemptive strike because I'm going to do some rides where the miles will accumulate when I'm in no man's land and don't want to be thinking about changing oil or tires or other stuff.

Mr_Ed 06-30-2015 11:54 AM

I was sort of wondering how you'd get all the kerosene out if there's still a quart of liquid in the engine after draining.

OldButNotDead 06-30-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Ed (Post 653978)
I was sort of wondering how you'd get all the kerosene out if there's still a quart of liquid in the engine after draining.

Turn it upside down and shake it :grin2:

road1dog 06-30-2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Ed (Post 653978)
I was sort of wondering how you'd get all the kerosene out if there's still a quart of liquid in the engine after draining.

please read carefully
this is NOT complicated at all .................

when you shut your engine down there is a residual amount left up near valves etc
not much at all actually in most engines a cup or less
if NO gunk / varnish / sludge
that residual cup UP IN the engine should NOT cause issues
later when new GOOD oil starts to circulate

NEVER run old bad oil back up into the engine ! ! ! ! ! !! !

by running HOT oil down a metal funnel into the sump
it will melt the old oil
by using MORE than whats in there it will also usually
be high enuf to touch the pump

thereby giving it a cleaning also

D R A I N ! ! ! ! ! DO NOT TURN ENGINE OVER ! ! ! !

the HOT kerosene will C L E A N EVERYTHING ! ! ! !
drain & remove ALL oil & detritus

there again the 6 quarts HOT KERO down a metal funnel
clears out old new oil &/ fauna etc

let sit & drain ........................ DO NOT RUN ENGINE ! ! !

when you then pour in good oil
id use a good brand 10 weight run for short distance .......
a few hundred miles new filter

DRAIN ..................... see what you have
if done properly youll have not bad oil

or funky which means 2 things
you didnt follow what is easy to do
or the engine was a window planter

either way if you dont want to tear down have the bike apart
youre only out the cost od 12quarts cheap oil
6 quarts of kero & a complete saturady

on the center stand the remedy oil & the kero will
drain rather freely out the sump

dont know what your goin to turn upside down & shake??????????????????
dont know WHY there would be a quart of Kero left in engine
[ i never said leave a quart in engine ]

if you know what youre going to p/u & shake.......let me sell tickets
otherwise if the engine is out the bike remove sump + valve covers clean......
put back together

USE NO OPEN FLAMES TO HEAT OIL OR KERO
WATER BOILS AT 212 TO 220 = plenty hot !!!!!
use cheap pans 1 with enuf water to boil

the other that will fit inside the first pan with 6 quartz oil & then kero
please dont burn yourself

use gloves
metal funnel
cheap $1.50 oil
cheap kero

MrZappo 06-30-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldButNotDead (Post 653970)
Hey dog,
Good write up, but how often do you think ya need to do something like that? My 2014 was on its third change when I dumped it the other day. Old oil was in there between 3 and 4K. It was dark brown but it sure wasn't like chocolate milk. Yes, the man said there is maybe a quart of oil lurking inside that engine. That sounds like a lot, maybe not. But in any event the new stuff will wash out the old. If your anal about oil like me get good stuff and change filters every time you change oil. Oh, BTW, oil will change colors to a dark brown because of the heat of the engine. Ever think we just might worry about oil too much????

Note: pretty soon I'll be going to 8K oil changes. This change was a preemptive strike because I'm going to do some rides where the miles will accumulate when I'm in no man's land and don't want to be thinking about changing oil or tires or other stuff.


No disrespect intended but aren't we pole vaulting over mouse turds here ? Are we really considering the prospect of running kerosene through an engine and measuring temperatures etc ?

No doubt that the engine would be squeaky clean but isn't the goal here to find REASONABLE solutions to our problems ?

Guys get 200k-300k out of these engines by just changing the oil with good quality oil at twice the recommended interval.

I get the desire to do everything "perfectly" but man, seriously ?

The answer to your inquiry "how often do you think ya need to do something like that?", respectfully, the answer is a NEVER ...

If any bike ever needs that level of maintenance, I'm finding a new hobby ... :wink2:

Mr_Ed 06-30-2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrZappo (Post 654098)
If any bike ever needs that level of maintenance, I'm finding a new hobby ... :wink2:

Bingo! :wink2:

sbixby 06-30-2015 03:26 PM

<speechless>


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome