Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Parts & Servicing (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-fjr-parts-servicing/)
-   -   Picking an Oil Filter (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-fjr-parts-servicing/62618-picking-oil-filter.html)

Pterodactyl 06-29-2015 12:22 PM

The Fulda Gap... now that brings back memories. Guess we did a good job; Warsaw Pact never even gave it a try. :wink2:

R!der 06-29-2015 12:51 PM

The past few bikes I've had worked with Mobil 1 M110 filter and it seemed to do well. Never had a seal problem. I make sure the seat is clean and wipe the O-ring/seal with fresh oil before installing.

Mr_Ed 06-29-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldButNotDead (Post 653362)
I spent a year sitting in the Fulda Gap dreaming about a Yamaha XS650 back in 1971. Even had a model of it on my nightstand. On the back cover IIRC of Cycle World was an advertisement for it where a guy rode it around the outside of Australia and hadn't changed the oil since he bought it. When the oil did come out it stacked up on the ground like a Frosty from Wendy's. Maybe oil is over rated.:grin2:

When my wife and I married she was driving an early 60s Chevy II that she'd gotten from her grandmother. I asked them when the oil had been changed, and they both just shrugged their shoulders. So I slid in under it and pulled the plug -- nothing. I had to poke up into the drain hole with a screwdriver to make the sludge come out that it was using for oil.

Maybe it is overraged :)

MrZappo 06-29-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl (Post 653338)
When you drain the oil and change the filter there is still about a quart of old oil left in an FJR motor / clutch / transmission. The new oil turns darker pretty quickly. Now then, that should keep the anal retentive riders awake at night. :surprise:

Holy mother of god man !!! Say it isn't so !!!!! My oil is contaminated !!!

I need slick 50 !!!!! I need Prolong !!!

Just run the engine for 5 minutes with a 50/50 blend of water and olive oil before putting the new oil in and you will be good to go ...

:frown2:

MrZappo 06-29-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R!der (Post 653394)
The past few bikes I've had worked with Mobil 1 M110 filter and it seemed to do well. Never had a seal problem. I make sure the seat is clean and wipe the O-ring/seal with fresh oil before installing.

M110's work perfectly and are extended drain filters so it makes the obsessive side of me feel better about skipping a filter for every other oil change.

Does any of it really matter ? No ... But i need to feed that "other guy" in my head ... There ... I said it ..

Pterodactyl 06-29-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrZappo (Post 653490)

I need slick 50 !!!!! I need Prozac !!!

Just run the engine for 5 minutes with a 50/50 blend of water and olive oil before putting the new oil in and you will be good to go ...

Fixed.

R!der 06-29-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldButNotDead (Post 653362)
I spent a year sitting in the Fulda Gap dreaming about a Yamaha XS650 back in 1971. Even had a model of it on my nightstand. On the back cover IIRC of Cycle World was an advertisement for it where a guy rode it around the outside of Australia and hadn't changed the oil since he bought it. When the oil did come out it stacked up on the ground like a Frosty from Wendy's. Maybe oil is over rated.:grin2:

I melted the pistons in my XS650 due to lack of oil. Then I topped that off by selling it to a friend for $50. Not be outdone, he literally tossed it in a dumpster.

FjrjrF 06-29-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrZappo (Post 653490)

I need slick 50 !!!!! I need Prolong !!!

Wify tells me vinegar and water cleans REAL good, gunna try dat nixt time. Ha, thanks for the laugh!

FjrjrF 06-29-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe (Post 653250)
I like the K&Ns mainly for their good reputation in aftermarket filters, but the 17mm nut was a deal maker. I also got fed up with those other brands that never seemed to seat right and an oil on my garage floor is completely unacceptable. I also got a good deal on Amazon when I purchased 6 of "em.

Same here, the welded nut is my kryptonite. I don't care what good/bad is spoken/written with K&N oil filters, my oil comes out clean when changed, and the nut allows perfect removal and torque on install. Used for 20 years, never a problem.

CRBND8D 06-29-2015 07:44 PM

Not good! Have been using the D3323 since the first oil change. Without a hitch. Will be keeping a 'closer eye' now. Here's to hoping, if it was a production problem, it was a one time, and limited one.