how to secure FJR on a trailer - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

how to secure FJR on a trailer

Hello everybody. I am new to this forum and just became a proud owner of 2006 FJR 1300 A. I would like to bring her safely home on a trailer. Hence, the question, how to strap her on a trailer to bring in one piece? Your sugggestions and advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Tomek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Get a Canyon Dancer from your M/C shop and use it on the bars. They work great. Don't make it too tight.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

... and make sure the front wheel is immobilized.

Don't smash the h e l l out of the forks. It's not necessary.

It's been a long time since I trailered an FJR, but I think I strapped to the lower triple clamps instead of the bars... so I didn't need the canyon dancer when I did it. That was a Gen I bike.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

2 months ago, when i purchased my AE, that's what i used.. http://www.cyclecynch.com/CCpages/CCproduct.html worked like a champ and please use ratchet straps(atleast for the front).
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Many thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately neither canyon dancer nor the other product are available in Poland. I understand that their purpose is to make sure that the front does not move and they protect handlebars against excessive tension while strapping. I will try to achieve the same effect with what i have at hand...

What about straps in the back? Which points in your view are best for attaching the straps?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

When I brought my FJR home here is how the dealer loaded it for me. Simple? Yes. The best way? No. Did it work? Yes.

Front wheel in a wheel chock bolted to the floor/frame of the trailer. Left bike on the kickstand (not the center stand). Two moto style sinch straps on the low side (left bars). One moto style sinch strap on the high side (bars again). As mentioned above, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE STRAPS. Others suggest not fixing straps to the bars at all. We did and it will work, just be careful.

2013 Yamaha FJR1300
2012 KTM 300XC-W
2010 KTM 690SMC
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I've towed motorcycles from Alaska to the lower 48 in conjunction with a move and have towed them long distances when making military moves; never had a problem.

You need a good wheel chalk for the front; preferably one that locks the wheel in place once the bike is pushed in place. No side stand or center stand used. (I do tie down the bike on the side stand when on ferry trips) Tie to each front fork below the suspension using a ratchet strap. You do not want to compress the suspension as part of your tie down. The tie down point on the floor for the forks should be forward of the front edge of the tire and about 18-24 inches out to each side. Make sure the tie downs have some sort of positive safety to keep them attached to the tie down points on the bike and floor. Open hooks can come completely off the attachment point if the strap becomes a little loose. I cut off the hooks and use snap links. There are short straps that you can use to make the attachment to the bike and then attach the metal part of the strap to it to avoid damage. The use of something like a Canyon Dancers on a heavy bike like the FJR is a very bad idea IMHO.

In the back wrap the strap twice around the rear wheel/tire just above the point where it contacts the floor. The tie down points on the floor for the rear should again be 18-24 inches out on each side and 18-24 inches behind the back edge of the rear tire. This strap will be difficult to get equally tight on both sides initially, but after a few miles you can tighten it again.

This has worked for me on trips of over 2600 miles. I normally check the bike and make adjustments to the straps after 10 and then again at 30 miles. Seldom do I need to make another adjustment after that.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I've towed motorcycles from Alaska to the lower 48 in conjunction with a move and have towed them long distances when making military moves; never had a problem.

You need a good wheel chalk for the front; preferably one that locks the wheel in place once the bike is pushed in place. No side stand or center stand used. (I do tie down the bike on the side stand when on ferry trips) Tie to each front fork below the suspension using a ratchet strap. You do not want to compress the suspension as part of your tie down. The tie down point on the floor for the forks should be forward of the front edge of the tire and about 18-24 inches out to each side. Make sure the tie downs have some sort of positive safety to keep them attached to the tie down points on the bike and floor. Open hooks can come completely off the attachment point if the strap becomes a little loose. I cut off the hooks and use snap links. There are short straps that you can use to make the attachment to the bike and then attach the metal part of the strap to it to avoid damage. The use of something like a Canyon Dancers on a heavy bike like the FJR is a very bad idea IMHO.

In the back wrap the strap twice around the rear wheel/tire just above the point where it contacts the floor. The tie down points on the floor for the rear should again be 18-24 inches out on each side and 18-24 inches behind the back edge of the rear tire. This strap will be difficult to get equally tight on both sides initially, but after a few miles you can tighten it again.

This has worked for me on trips of over 2600 miles. I normally check the bike and make adjustments to the straps after 10 and then again at 30 miles. Seldom do I need to make another adjustment after that.
+1 what he said. The only thing I would add/suggest is I'd leave the tranny in neutral.

There is no better therapy than a ride.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

http://www.smthng.com/FJR1/
Interesting article worth a read
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Again, many thanks for all your responses and contributions on saturday, equipped with that knowledge I hope to safely bring my fjr home. Keep fingers crossed
Orange Powder Lord likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page