how to secure FJR on a trailer - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Good article but one should never tie from handgrips as pictured.

Sadly the FJR's lower fork bridge is hard to reach.
I've trailered 3 different bikes in the last decade, the FJR being one. I've always used a canyon dancer on the handgrips. There are so many different ways that so many different people have done things successfully, the use of handgrips for trailering being one, that from practical experience IMHO it's hard to believe anyone is an expert and should be listened to when he says, "never do...". In general I figured out how to do it from trial and error but if you add a front wheel chock to my procedure it ends up being very close to the description in the link above.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
IThere are so many different ways that so many different people have done things successfully, the use of handgrips for trailering being one, that from practical experience IMHO it's hard to believe anyone is an expert and should be listened to when he says, "never do...".
Never tie from the front fender.
Never tie with a strap over the gas tank.
Never tie from the rear license plate.
Never RTFM where Yamaha says not to tie from the handlebars.
Never RTFM where Canyon Dancer says they disavow any claim tying from handlebars is safe.

Its hard to believe any expert would ever say never!

I know from experience that many motorcyclists don't know/can't tell their handlebars are bent. Thats well and good but for the fact cast aluminum can only bend so far before breaking.

Some other motorcycles have handlebars which are orders of magnitude stronger than the FJR's. There one only risks damage to handgrips, especially expensive heated handgrips.

Put another way: you wouldn't lift your FJR off the ground from the handgrips to change the tires so you shouldn't fool yourself into believing handgrips are strong enough to secure to a trailer.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:04 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Hi, I know this thread is fairly old but I thought I would share what I did to strap my FJR1300A onto a Motorcycle Carrier on the back of my truck. First, I bought a 600 lb Carrier and built ramps such that I can drive the bike up and down safely. Then I beefed up the front of the Carrier and ensured I was using a high quality Stabilizer for my trailer hitch (not the one that came with the Carrier). I also built a couple temporary supports that I place under the Carrier for Stability and support while loading and unloading. Once I get the bike on the Carrier, I put the kickstand down and gently step off then check the stability of the kickstand on my ramp. At this point, the front wheel is totally married up with the wheelchock and I proceed to place my soft straps on the upper T of the front forks ensuring they are only on the T and not pinching anything. I then start tying down front right strap but only enough to take pressure off kickstand so I can remove my homemade ramps. I then install the 2nd fork tiedown (left front) and adjust the tension of each such that the bike has a slight pitch towards the truck tailgate (maybe 5-10 degrees, nothing significant). From here I install soft takedowns to passenger grips (there's just no other good alternative that I have found with the mufflers and flarings of the FJR1300A but I'm all ears). The front forks I cinch down about 1/2 compression but don't put as much compression on the rear since tiedown location isn't ideal. I did consider straps on the seat but I heard too many cases where this deforms the seat permanently. Finally, lately, I've been adding one more strap that goes from the front of my trucks tailbed over the tailgate and down to the Carrier but this is only for damping when going over bumps/humps in the road (I've driven a lot of miles over roads under reconstruction). With this setup, I've traveled from Melbourne, FL to Atlanta, and up to Murphy, NC and back on 3 separate occasions so far. The last mile of my trip is very windy and steep so I take it slow. Before I load the bike, I remove the side saddlebags and ensure I'm not carrying much fuel (maybe a gallon at 6 lbs). This is all to try to keep the bike close to the Carrier's weight limit. The only thing I recently changed (not in pics) is I bought much heavier tiedown straps with safety feature so hooks won't release if forks or rear compress too much due to bumps/humps in the road. I always take a short jaunt down the road then immediately check straps before heading out on my trips. I also check the straps anytime I stop (e.g., gas, food, etc.). Eventually I want to come up with my own carrier that integrates many of these features and perhaps allows for better tiedown options. One final note, the Carrier has a Caution Label stating maximum speed 45 mph. I believe they added this because the Carrier isn't able to hold 600 lbs (without the mod I added) when tiedown force is couple with dynamic forces (wind torque, bumps, cornering). They obviously know folks are going to drive faster than 45 mph (I typically back off my normal speed by 5-10 mph when I have the bike onboard. Having said all this, I've towed the FJY1600A in rain and shine and through some fairly rough terrain (over pavement) and have never lost the bike. Just double and triple check everything before you get on the road. Once I get to Murphy, NC, I unload the bike and ride it typically 800-1,000 miles over a 4 day period (up through Smokeys, Tail of the Dragon, etc.) and I'm in my "Happy-Place".

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:11 AM
Training wheels fitted!

These are pics of my FJR1300A loaded on my Carrier and one pic of me on Tail of the Dragon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200530_192031_1592388381206.jpg (156.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200530_195915_1592388451609.jpg (254.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2934945_1592388575532.jpg (180.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200606_080236_1592388628759.jpg (261.7 KB, 13 views)
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Keep it tight, compress the suspension a little to maintain tension, and stop every hour or two to check the straps. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer.jpg (399.3 KB, 11 views)

Ducit amor patriae
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 10:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandrac View Post
These are pics of my FJR1300A loaded on my Carrier and one pic of me on Tail of the Dragon.
Wouldn't it be simpler (and safer) to put the FJR in the truck the way God intended?

If hitch receiver is rated to tow 8000 pounds then it is expecting to carry 800 pounds on a ball mounted 6" to 8" behind the receiver. A 650 pound motorcycle 18" away is nearly 3x over rated capacity.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 11:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

I wouldn't use the grab handles to secure the bike. They are blow molded plastic. Additionally, this puts a lot of stress on the sub frame, which has been known to crack.
It's also a bad idea to use J hook straps unless you put a wrap of tape around them. There is nothing to prevent them from unhooking if you get a good bounce and the strap loosens up, even momentarily.
N4HHE likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would load it into the truck too..... get some of the weight forward of the rear axle the truck will handle much better.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page