how to secure FJR on a trailer - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Harbor Freight wheel chock, canyon dancer (1st style) and a few tie downs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Really, it ain't rocket surgery or brain science .

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Really, it ain't rocket surgery or brain science .
I often wonder if anyone finds these comments helpful or adds any value when fellow riders are asking for tips or help. I see the same folks posting these type of comments all the time and see it as "your questions or requests for tips or help are not important for me answer but I'll make a comment to let everyone know how ridiculous I think it is by you asking for information". Nothing positive or helpful to add then don't post and move on unless you are the type of person that feels better treating others like this.

Now off the soap box and for some tip info.

I have found some you tube videos that offer various solutions. You can start with this one and compare against the others and find what works best for you. https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...2Cm%3Asa&&tt=b

2018 BMW RnineT Racer
2013 FJR1300
2013 VRSCDX (Sold)
2012 Shadow Phantom (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (Sold)
1977 Suzuki GS400 (Death by Stupid Cager)

Last edited by GMan55; 01-16-2015 at 02:03 PM.

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The original thread is >9 months old with a >8 month hiatus. If it hasn't been figured out by now with all the advice that was given then oh well, push it home.

You need to get over yourself. As they say in the movies, "lighten up Francis".

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

How about using a dirt bike trailer? Seems like loading might be a bit difficult, but otherwise I think it would work.

post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeFJR View Post
How about using a dirt bike trailer? Seems like loading might be a bit difficult, but otherwise I think it would work.
I have a typical landscape-type trailer, the kind with a wooden deck and a big fold-up rear gate. I bolt a piece of channel with a bend in the front down to the deck and up she goes. It works great for cruisers except the 180 tire on the FJR is just a little too wide to fit so I just add a piece of 1/2" plywood to pull up onto. Works fine. I just remove the channel to use the trailer for hauling other stuff.

If the wider tire fits ok I see no reason your trailer wouldn't work.

Russ
2007A

post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

getting ready to trailer my 2015 FJR and this is all consuming to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer43 View Post
Harbor Freight wheel chock, canyon dancer (1st style) and a few tie downs.
So like seemingly every subject in the world there are 5 - 10 different answers on the good old internet including how to tie down an FJR on a trailer. Some say " no handle bars they could get damaged" and yet there is a company that sells specific handle bar tie downs. Some say use the fork tubes under the triple tree, never use the handle bars?? So what gives? There has to be a right and a wrong here.

I use Pro-taper looped tie downs ( great product btw) but I am not seeing how those are going to go below the fairing and up and around the triple tree like my dirt bike. Not to mention the spread to get them out to the tie down hooks on a Kendon Trailer would be an awkward angle to say the least. I was ready to order some Canyon Dancers as they seem like a logical solution but after reading this... Not so sure.

Anyone here have a bullet-proof solution to buttoning down a late model FJR to a Kendon fold up trailer??
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefblueman View Post
HF wheel chock bolted to trailer deck. http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html

Tie down straps around lower fork legs above the bosses for fender and brake lines, ratchet straps to trailer for side to side stability.

Tie straps, placed in choke around top of rear tire, ratchet strap to trailer on either side, trans in first gear prevents tire movement.

This allows bike to ride on its suspension, wheel chock works great. I can ride the bike onto the trailer and into the chock, get off the bike, the chock will hold it, and tie 'er down.

The straps on rear tire serve mostly to keep the rear from dancing in case of big bumps.

Towed my FJR 3000 mi on a small flatbed trailer at speeds up to 90mph, no problems. Never moved an inch, easy load-unload.

I would never tie an FJR down by the handlebars against the suspension ala Canyon Dancers.

Then why do they sell them?

Last edited by rbentnail; 04-08-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fixed quote box
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman View Post
Then why do they sell them?
Your logic is undeniable! Nobody could/would ever sell something harmful! Lawyers and The Goverment will Protect Us From Ourselves!

Or not.
chiefblueman and JohnC like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman View Post
So like seemingly every subject in the world there are 5 - 10 different answers on the good old internet including how to tie down an FJR on a trailer. Some say " no handle bars they could get damaged" and yet there is a company that sells specific handle bar tie downs. Some say use the fork tubes under the triple tree, never use the handle bars?? So what gives? There has to be a right and a wrong here.
I know it's unfashionable in this era of low information voters (an journalists) but find the Canyon Dancer's site and read what they say (covering their delicate parts) about their own product. Only a very good Capitalist will refuse a fool's money. CD is not that good.

Quote:
I use Pro-taper looped tie downs ( great product btw) but I am not seeing how those are going to go below the fairing and up and around the triple tree like my dirt bike. Not to mention the spread to get them out to the tie down hooks on a Kendon Trailer would be an awkward angle to say the least.
People do it. But as you say other anchor points may be needed on your Kendon. Assuming the anchors on Kendon are right for every situation is as wrong as assuming the CD product is available means it must work and be acceptable. The anchors are pretty close on my dual Kendon but I haven't tried the FJR on it.

My former BMW F800S and GL1800 required one to reach up under the fairing to loop over the bottom bridge and around fork tube. Then the ties had to stay close else press against fairing.

Sometimes one can tie from left fork to right trailer. And right fork to left trailer. To clear fairing. But sometimes that hits front fender.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page