how to secure FJR on a trailer - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

if you have a trailer with rails, run the front wheel into the left front rail corner. place bike on side stand. catch hook on lift handle for center stand and side rail. while sitting on bike, crank handle until strap just tightens. dismount, take second strap, hook into center stand lift handle, go over seat and hook to opposite side rail. just tighten so you cant pull strap up off the seat. I always leave bike in gear in case I forget and accelerate too quickly with my 4cyl. outback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Avoid straps against any painted surface. Use plastic wire ties to hold any open hooks in place on the "D" rings in the floor of your trailer because as mentioned previously, open hooks will fall out when the trailer runs over bumps in the road. Try to compress your front forks some while ratcheting down the front wheel. Avoid leaving side stand down. Both wheels should be planted firmly on the trailer bed. Avoid installing straps on any 90 degree sharp/semi sharp corners. Put strips of leather (cut up an old shami cloth) between your straps and any corner (this will prevent the strap from being cut during transport). Check your tie-downs every few miles initially. Use any type of tape around any loose straps to keep them from flapping around (marking up the paint in the bike) while traveling down the road. Hope this helps. Good luck.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Location: Illinois, where 4 of our last 7 governors have gone to prison
If you do strap anything to handlebars, canyon dancer or something else, do not over tighten. There are reports where the handlebars have broken when straps were over tightened. Tim

Gravity always wins.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Training wheels fitted!

FJR on a trailer

How are you guys/gals securing the FJR to a trailer if needed? For example, are you using Canyon Dancers, tie down straps secured somewhere.

I would like to find something like the Pit-Bull Trailer Restraint system for a shaft driven motorcycle such as the FJR, but have not found anything yet.

https://www.pit-bull.com/trailer-restraint.shtml

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
There was a recent thread on this topic located here: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-f...r-trailer.html

I think the system you posted is a bit cumbersome and overkill.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
There was a recent thread on this topic located here: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-f...r-trailer.html

I think the system you posted is a bit cumbersome and overkill.
Thank you for the link, some good information in there. Also, nothing is overkill when talking about your beloved motorcycle traveling down the road at 80 MPH with no one in the riders seat.

I have been using a Pit-Bull restraint system for years for my Gen II Hayabusa and love the product. I has never failed and puts zero stress on the forks, the bars, or any other part of the motorcycle.

I may see about creating something similar for the FJR, but that will take some time and I figured why should I try to re-invent something someone else has already created.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

HF wheel chock bolted to trailer deck. http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html

Tie down straps around lower fork legs above the bosses for fender and brake lines, ratchet straps to trailer for side to side stability.

Tie straps, placed in choke around top of rear tire, ratchet strap to trailer on either side, trans in first gear prevents tire movement.

This allows bike to ride on its suspension, wheel chock works great. I can ride the bike onto the trailer and into the chock, get off the bike, the chock will hold it, and tie 'er down.

The straps on rear tire serve mostly to keep the rear from dancing in case of big bumps.

Towed my FJR 3000 mi on a small flatbed trailer at speeds up to 90mph, no problems. Never moved an inch, easy load-unload.

I would never tie an FJR down by the handlebars against the suspension ala Canyon Dancers.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've transported tons of bikes with my motorcycle business when I had it. We used Condor wheel chalks, bar tie downs which slide over grips then has two ends one in each side of your fork threw your fairing. I pull them straight down. Never ill down just on the ends because over bumps can damage your bars. The back end I use a white HD shipping rachet strap and that does round rear wheel and pulled back.

Never just wrap a strap around anything because as the bike bounces it will wear the paint. Use the 8" bike straps with loops on each end. It tightens on object
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Training wheels fitted!

according to Helibar's towing instructions:
use front fork--NEVER handle bars, for what that is worth. ..
2GENAE likes this.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2ftl View Post
according to Helibar's towing instructions:
use front fork--NEVER handle bars, for what that is worth. ..
Agreed, even with the stock bars it is a poor idea to tow using handle bar tie downs.
2GENAE likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page