2016/2020 2 nd gear recall - Page 61 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 742Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #601 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 01:32 PM
FJR Top Gun

Settle down guys. We are in the early stages of the recall. It is a very fluid situation. List are incomplete and information is fragmented. Two different reps at Yamaha and the dealers can be giving you different information. Daily checking of vin lists will only raise your blood pressure.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 03:00 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

read a previous thread about a false neutral being a symptom. Had this on my 2018 AE, when changing up under power and it went into a false neutral, wiggled the lever and eased it into gear and on I went. Thought it strange at the time and then forgot all about it. Nothing happened after and when I sold it it went to Poland.

2021 Goldcrest Yellow
post #603 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 07:10 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Just dropped my 2017A off at the local dealer in advance of transmission and switch recalls scheduled for Jan 19th. Relevant plastic has been removed. Looking forward to getting the bike back later next week.
mobilemike and 2013fjr1300 like this.

Dan
2017 FJR1300A
IBA #11628

post #604 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlegg View Post
Just dropped my 2017A off at the local dealer in advance of transmission and switch recalls scheduled for Jan 19th. Relevant plastic has been removed. Looking forward to getting the bike back later next week.
Just curious....How is it that your dealer accepted the bike for the recall with (as far as I know) not having the final recall list of affected bikes from Yamaha? And for that matter... parts?
DJC72 likes this.

Jaime
-sunnyorlando

Bikes past and present -
2018 Yamaha FJR1300A Matte Blue // 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT Blk // 2005 Honda Goldwing GL1800
post #605 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 10:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyorlando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlegg View Post
Just curious....How is it that your dealer accepted the bike for the recall with (as far as I know) not having the final recall list of affected bikes from Yamaha? And for that matter... parts?
Looks like the OP is in Canada they and the rest of the world have been way ahead of the US on the recall. I think I’ve read there are some people in Europe that have had the repair done and are back on the road
2013fjr1300 likes this.

1990 Harley Davidson FLHTC, 1999 KLR 650, 2016 FJR 1300A
post #606 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 10:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
It's all about location. I'm in Canada, eh.

Dan
2017 FJR1300A
IBA #11628
post #607 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 11:44 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
It also related to where the faults are during production and where they needed to investigate farther. Possible still doing analysis of documentation.

In other words it might be like this.

Yamaha knows for certain one # range of gears is toast and definitely needs replacing.

A second # range is probably bad and will announce after the logistics of the first is established.

A Third # range needs more study to determine and that will be released shortly.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #608 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 07:21 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton West View Post
read a previous thread about a false neutral being a symptom. Had this on my 2018 AE, when changing up under power and it went into a false neutral, wiggled the lever and eased it into gear and on I went. Thought it strange at the time and then forgot all about it. Nothing happened after and when I sold it it went to Poland.
Do you have a link to share on this? I've been finding it occasionally hard to shift into 2nd in warm weather...feels like a shift but goes into neutral.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #609 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

[QUOTE ]
Do you have a link to share on this? I've been finding it occasionally hard to shift into 2nd in warm weather...feels like a shift but goes into neutral.[/QUOTE]

You can read it in the NHTSA document that details the issue, solution, and VIN ranges. It's part of that document.
It's posted earlier in this thread, or in one of the other forums.

Jaime
-sunnyorlando

Bikes past and present -
2018 Yamaha FJR1300A Matte Blue // 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT Blk // 2005 Honda Goldwing GL1800
post #610 of 689 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 11:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've read various postings on FJR forums about shift quality being an issue with the 6 speeds, may be switch oil (here we go again!, lol), but some say that didn't do a lot either.
Not so sure this has anything to do with the recall situation........
OK it's the 15th, data should start to flow, but all you US guys should just chill out and be patient... I expect this VIN list will evolve over the next couple of weeks.
Donk and 2013fjr1300 like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page