FJR Owners Forum banner

Parts availability?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  2GENAE 
#1 ·
What is the status of parts availability through Yamaha? I own a 2012 Concours and in the last 6 months or so, I got 2 different parts that were the last ones remaining in the US. One was a side fairing part and the other was a windshield assembly. In both cases, there was no information about a restocking date. If I hadn’t been lucky enough to get the last ones remaining in the US, no telling how long I would have waited. Anyway, I’ve put some money into customizing this bike and I am considering doing a full suspension re-do this winter, but parts availability is a concerning. If I went to a different bike, the most likely candidate would be a FJR. How is parts availability?

#4 ·
I've heard of a few issues getting oddball fork internals. Had a shop that broke an internal fork part and part was back ordered with no estimated date. Shop ended up buying a cheap used set off ebay and scavenging the needed part from them.

#7 ·
The fork internals thing is weird they discontinued cartridges for 2013-15. Can get them for any other year it seems. What's with that? At least they could have offered alternatives.
Fairings vary, as they will with all bikes.... try finding them for my 1999 VFR... But in general, you can get almost any part for an FJR still. Rear shock dimensions haven't changed and there's always aftermarket for those.

Reactions: passx
#9 ·
I can see that. I own the black cherry, i.e., The One-off Red Headed Bass Turd Step Child. Thankfully I've not needed plastics or mirrors, just mostly routine generic stuff that fits all (at least) Gen2s.

#11 ·
Luckily I have no plans for any such things. My buying days for the year are over unless something pops up. I might need to get an air filter. This autumn I've already purchased new tires front and rear, new T-valves for TPMS, clutch lever bushing and, get this, a never used Gen2 ECU. I'm still asking myself WTH for but at usd$260 I simply couldn't pass it up. Brand spankin' new in the box, still sealed! I'm thinkin' I'll send it for Ivan's flash to see what all the hubbub is about and maybe recoup some of the cost selling my old one so someone else can do the same and so on. Kinda pay it forward type of thing.

Reactions: 2GENAE
#13 ·
If I had a Gen2, I'd have my ECU to Ivan in a "flash", lol. The Gen3 flash was good but the Gen3's fueling isn't all that bad to begin with. I'd definitely have an Ivan flash if I had an '06-'07. Dunno what he charges, just call him. My guess $350-ish?

#14 ·
Regarding parts availability from Yamaha: I had a Yamaha '96 XT225 and an '02 YZF-R6 until 2017/2018. I was still able to get parts for those bikes from Yamaha. Many of the aftermarket folks had abandoned these models after about 10 years.

In 2016, a co-worker - while backing his pickup out of a parking spot - turned into my R6 and tipped it over. I was able to get all the parts (fairing, mirror & support, gear lever, etc.) from Yamaha. Some were pretty expensive: the single upper fairing plastic was $450. Fortunately, my co-worker paid for the parts.

#16 ·
My 2015 was backed into and knocked over in a parking lot a couple of weeks ago. It rolled past the engine and saddlebag guards and scratched the tupperware, mirror, bag and took Stay1 with it. All parts have been available with minimal wait. Almost makes me think I need to upgrade to a LEO style engine guard that would protect the mirrors too but the only quote I received led me to believe I should not leave the bike unattended. (j/k)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.