Parts availability? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Parts availability?

What is the status of parts availability through Yamaha? I own a 2012 Concours and in the last 6 months or so, I got 2 different parts that were the last ones remaining in the US. One was a side fairing part and the other was a windshield assembly. In both cases, there was no information about a restocking date. If I hadn’t been lucky enough to get the last ones remaining in the US, no telling how long I would have waited. Anyway, I’ve put some money into customizing this bike and I am considering doing a full suspension re-do this winter, but parts availability is a concerning. If I went to a different bike, the most likely candidate would be a FJR. How is parts availability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 11:35 PM
Training wheels fitted!

All you need are oil filters and brake pads.

2012 FJR1300A
Madison, Wisconsin
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmev View Post
All you need are oil filters and brake pads.
Have you ever needed a fairing part? Or something for the windshield? Or some part that’s not for routine maintenance?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 11:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've heard of a few issues getting oddball fork internals. Had a shop that broke an internal fork part and part was back ordered with no estimated date. Shop ended up buying a cheap used set off ebay and scavenging the needed part from them.

2014 FJR1300
2013 Ninja 300
2004 FJR1300
2002 SV650 (track bike)
1972 Yamaha R5 (long term custom project)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 01:08 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrmatt View Post
Have you ever needed a fairing part? Or something for the windshield? Or some part thatís not for routine maintenance?
On my 2012 Gen2, no.

2012 FJR1300A
Madison, Wisconsin
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 01:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrmatt View Post
Have you ever needed a fairing part? Or something for the windshield? Or some part thatís not for routine maintenance?
Some parts are hard to come by lately. A few folks found that out about fork internals. Other than that I've had a few back orders filled within 2 weeks. Yes, I've ordered a few new parts but nothing like fairings. Gaskets, clutch lever bushing, etc. new. The bike's been around for quite a while now, there are also a gazillion parts available on ebay.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 07:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The fork internals thing is weird they discontinued cartridges for 2013-15. Can get them for any other year it seems. What's with that? At least they could have offered alternatives.
Fairings vary, as they will with all bikes.... try finding them for my 1999 VFR... But in general, you can get almost any part for an FJR still. Rear shock dimensions haven't changed and there's always aftermarket for those.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

I ordered new OEM mirrors that match my one year only 2008 AE color, it took 9 weeks from Japan. I tried several companies that sell OEM Yamaha parts same thing no mirror in USA.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 04:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
I ordered new OEM mirrors that match my one year only 2008 AE color, it took 9 weeks from Japan. I tried several companies that sell OEM Yamaha parts same thing no mirror in USA.
I can see that. I own the black cherry, i.e., The One-off Red Headed Bass Turd Step Child. Thankfully I've not needed plastics or mirrors, just mostly routine generic stuff that fits all (at least) Gen2s.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I can see that. I own the black cherry, i.e., The One-off Red Headed Bass Turd Step Child. Thankfully I've not needed plastics or mirrors, just mostly routine generic stuff that fits all (at least) Gen2s.
I like the Black Cherry it's stunning in the sun. IMHO as YMMV some like that Root Beer from up North.

Two years ago ordered a complete ride side fairing with turn signals etc ( not wrecked ) here in a few weeks.

My front fender looks great just a few small pebble chips but enough to make my OCD kick in. ordered it with the mirrors and a week later my $110.00 was sent back.
My advise if anyone is "On The Fence" about a new OEW body part best order one now.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page