Found fibers in oil filter inlet holes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Found fibers in oil filter inlet holes

I changed my oil and found some sort of fibers in the inlet holes and am at a loss as to where they cam from. Anyone ever see this?20201031_161215.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wow, I have never seen that before on any filter... looks like somebody's leftover paper towel??? Can't tell if it came from inside the filter or not, can't think of anything in the engine that would be that material... I'd suggest cutting the filter apart and check the filter material to see what accumulated.
What bike, what year is this, what mileage? What is the brand of the filter? When you changed the oil before, ever seen this? When was the last time anyone serviced the engine in some way and what was that service?
blast likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

This is a 2010 FJR with 97k miles and I have done all of the service since new. I haven't done any service in between the last oil change that involved going into the engine. This filter was on the engine for 6k miles (which is actually soon according to Amzoil) Amzoil sent a replacement and I changed the oil and filter again. I just rebuilt the front and rear suspension is all. I sent the filter to Amzoil for analysis who sent me an oil change kit at no cost to me thinking the material came from a defective filter. Today I cut open the filter I took off after receiving the one they sent and cut that one open. The filter media doesn't look like what I see. But granted the one I cut open had maybe 30 miles on it versus 6 thousand. Plus the fibers are in the inlet holes. And no I have never seen this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201121_121417.jpg (158.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by silveryam; 11-21-2020 at 09:05 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wonder if your plastic funnel had a small cloth or a piece of narrow cardboard, wood shaving or something else that slipped into the engine when pouring in the oil ?

Dead baby mouse

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

The fibers don't look anything like that. Plus I make sure the funnel is clean before I use it. I'm very anal with the bike and how I service it.
Damir likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 09:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've used nothing but Amsoil in mine for 87,000 miles and usually change the oil around 6000 miles. I did use Wix filters the first few changes until Amsoil started specing the EAOM103 filter in it. I've never seen anything like that either. I can't think of a thing inside that engine that would look like this. I hate to think it, but does the bike sit somewhere that it could be subject to vandalism?

If Amsoil gets back to you with a theory please let us know.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Looks like filter media to me. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 06:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveryam View Post
The fibers don't look anything like that. Plus I make sure the funnel is clean before I use it. I'm very anal with the bike and how I service it.
Look in your air box for a mouse nest!

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 07:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mouse nest stuff should never make it past the piston rings and into the engine oil, or at least I'm not seeing how. The only path I can see is either through the oil fill hole or if say one had done a valve check and left some paper towel or shop towel in somewhere...

Next step, pull the valve cover..... keep reading.

If one could identify the type of fibre, might help, but it's soaked in oil... perhaps take a sample and rinse it with naptha, then isopropanol to take the oil away. Lab analysis best, but I'd like to know if it is plastic.
I don't want to unnecessarily alarm, but the stuff had to be picked up by the oil pickup screen in the pan and pumped to the filter. There is a source of plastic that could be ground up fine like that..... cam chain guides.
On the underside of the valve cover there is a "guide", right above the cam chain to prevent the chain from hitting the underside of the valve cover. Cam chain is very close to the cover here and I guess Yamaha identified slack would occur between the two camshaft sprockets. This thing is a press fit of (I think) two nubs on the 'plastic' to mating recesses in the valve cover, no adhesive. A not so great snap fit is another way to describe it. Quite rare, but they have fallen off, tight clearance to the chain so it would grind away...... either that or the cam chain is stretched to the point of intermittent contact with it..... shown here as item 6 (Guide, Stopper 2).
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...camshaft-chain

I have had a couple fall out while cleaning up the valve cover and they will stay if pressed back in but it's not what I would call totally secure. Any I put back in, I clean the area well with isopropanol and use some RTV. A member in one of the sandboxes, after doing a valve check, could not get his engine to turn over, and this part was jammed down in the crankshaft sprocket. It must have fallen out as he was replacing the valve cover.
Little Joe likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks! I'll look under the valve cover. Unfortunately I don't have the oil filter, I sent it to Amzoil for analysis. The stuff that was there seemed fibrous like you would imagine filter media to be. It was more or less strung together and not tiny particles however when I changed the oil the second time I poured it thru a painters filter funnel and did find a few black, hard particles that kinda fit the material you describe. When I lift the valve cover I'll know for sure.
BTW the engine sounds fine. No unusual noises. It may be time to get that new bike. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page