5Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 2 Post By mortenk
  • 2 Post By passx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Final drive leak?

I've had this '13 for 2 years and it was serviced right before I purchased her. The rear tire & rear drive oil were replaced as part of that service. While working on a different repair, I figured it was time to pull the rear wheel and check things out as I noticed black "stuff" building up on the back rim. This is what I found:

Final drive seal leak? Overfill(no evidence at vent)? Excessive lube on splines?

I cleaned everything up and let it sit apart for 2 days with no additional leakage. Drained the final drive oil and it was rather clean looking and not low or overfilled.

I'm thinking of just putting it all back together and monitor it at this point. And yes, I pulled the whole pumpkin/drive shaft out and inspected, cleaned, & lubed the splines up at the u-joint. All good there and nothing at the weep hole at the bottom inside the swingarm either.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin.jpg (134.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg wheel hub.jpg (161.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 1.jpg (133.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 2.jpg (132.3 KB, 21 views)

2013 FJR1300A
2014 Vstar 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Possible excess grease on the splines at some point. I'd clean it all up, minimal grease on splines... go ride. That may be all it is. Check it again next tire change, with perhaps a rear drive fluid level check once in a while.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yeah, it had me concerned when I first saw it, but I agree. I'll put her back together and keep a closer eye on the rim & oil level. Thanks.

I was preparing to do just that but I figured I should take the opportunity to clean things up with the rear wheel out of the way and was rushing to finish as I was running late, leaned over the back side to pick up a rag to the right of the bike and lost my balance a bit. And where did my right hand fall? Yup, right on the back brake lever and squeezed the pads together. At least it was smooth as I just lubed all those pivot points about 30 minutes before!

2013 FJR1300A
2014 Vstar 1300 Tourer

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

When you remove the rear hub never pull on the hub as you can dislodge the seal that keeps the oil in the hub. Use a flat bladed screw driver to ease the UJ apart. The splines do not move, greasing them only assists with future removal of the hub.

2018 Phantom Blue
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
It looks like someone used the wrong lubricant for the spline. It should not be "thin" like this - almost looks like oil! I would clean the spline completely, and then add the proper moly paste - it's thick stuff and not the thin, runny stuff that's on the picture...
passx and 2014oldred like this.

2016 ES
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 10:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Molypaste on all-the splines is the proper thing to do, it not only helps with future disassembly but the real benefit is that it keeps fretting of the splines at bay.

Fretting is the natural vibration that occurs between the splines and that fretting is a form of rust, left unchecked your splineswill simply rust away, ask any Goldwing owner if they’ve ever seen it, I have. I have a friend who has a 76 wing that he did a number if iron butt challenges on when he came to one of our CWC open house concerned with the noises coming from the differential, disassembly showed a pile of rust and little to no splines, luckily a new unobtainium driveshaft was all that was needed.

Lube all them splines with some moly paste.
mortenk and Haynes like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 04:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Honda insisted on the moly paste, and for good reason. The splines were on the soft side for whatever reason. FJR splines are much harder, and that's why they only call for regular grease. Moly trumps that though, don't need much more than a thin coat and you're good.
I know of Honda splines like Steve's talking about, well worn and almost no teeth left. But don't sweat FJR splines too much, I've never seen one to be concerned about very much, but do use some grease, it only makes sense to prevent metal to metal wear. Regular lithium grease will melt somewhat in higher temps, thus why the OP saw some streaking...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton West View Post
When you remove the rear hub never pull on the hub as you can dislodge the seal that keeps the oil in the hub. Use a flat bladed screw driver to ease the UJ apart. The splines do not move, greasing them only assists with future removal of the hub.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
It looks like someone used the wrong lubricant for the spline. It should not be "thin" like this - almost looks like oil! I would clean the spline completely, and then add the proper moly paste - it's thick stuff and not the thin, runny stuff that's on the picture...
Yeah, I had that thought too. Will definitely be using the moly when getting her back together as everyone has mentioned.

Thanks.

2013 FJR1300A
2014 Vstar 1300 Tourer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page