Front Axle "Play" - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Front Axle "Play"

Afternoon everyone,

Had my 2013 on the front axle stand in the garage and noticed some freeplay in the axle assembly that I never noticed before. If I grab the bottom or back of the wheel I can get it to rock on the axle. The play is very minimal but I'm not sure how much is allowed. The bearings feel smooth and the last time I had the wheel off I re-assembled everything following the FSM and retorqued everything to factory spec. The axle seems to slide too easy through the inner bearing races and it seems the spacers are also slightly too large. I think this is the freeplay I am feeling. How snug should the axle be in the bearing/spacer? Does anyone have a spec for the axle diameter or spacer internal diameter? This feels like grasping at straws but everything "looks" ok otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Training wheels fitted!

You should not be able to rock the wheel on the axle. Pull the wheel and insert the axle to see if you can determine where the play is.

2012 FJR1300A
Madison, Wisconsin
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 08:29 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Front Axle "Play"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcurtis View Post
Afternoon everyone,

Had my 2013 on the front axle stand in the garage and noticed some freeplay in the axle assembly that I never noticed before. If I grab the bottom or back of the wheel I can get it to rock on the axle. The play is very minimal but I'm not sure how much is allowed. The bearings feel smooth and the last time I had the wheel off I re-assembled everything following the FSM and retorqued everything to factory spec. The axle seems to slide too easy through the inner bearing races and it seems the spacers are also slightly too large. I think this is the freeplay I am feeling. How snug should the axle be in the bearing/spacer? Does anyone have a spec for the axle diameter or spacer internal diameter? This feels like grasping at straws but everything "looks" ok otherwise. Thanks in advance.
Brad
Brad,

Check this parts fiche, and check that everything needed is installed for your wheel. I believe that if you can feel any play at the axle, then something important has been left out of the assembly. I would not recommend riding the bike until you get everything sorted out.

http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...-assembly.html

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 09:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm with Red........ axle dia. is a few thousandths less than 22mm, which is the ID of the the bearings, which should be more or less a slide fit with no play. The center spacer won't matter much as its job is to keep the wheel bearings apart. The outer spacers and ABS mount should all be a slide fit as well. Once the axle is torqued, everything is forced together tightly.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thanks. Everything is there and in place and torqued to specs. As mentionned I have the FSM and followed it. If a spacer was left out, the play would be significant. I'm talking about only enough play for a "click" but enough that I am able to see movement. The ease at which the axle slides thru the spacers and the bearings leads me to believe axle diameter is too small but that doesnt add up either.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 07:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Brad, if everything is put together and torqued properly then the ONLY thing that will provide any looseness is a bad wheel bearing, again only if itís all put together and torqued properly. Bad wheel bearing !
sgkramar likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 07:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You could possibly have tightened the pinch bolts before tightening the 22mm bolt on the left. Otherwise it sounds like it is time for front wheel bearings.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 09:19 AM
Training wheels fitted!

One other thing you might check is to make sure the (+) tolerance is not getting you. Check the length of the compression tube to make sure it is not a bit too long thus allowing the bearings to not seat all the way into the hub. That could explain why the spacers are slightly too large as well. HTH

Bus Ticket 2019 FJR 1300SE
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 09:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Another thought, the left and right spacers are different. Can't say I have tried but suspect it might be too thick if swapped. No matter, the ABS plate won't be correctly positioned.

I don't think there is a problem if the axle slides in easily. It will, if you hold your tongue right.
nunia720 likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 10:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Are you sure it's the wheel and not the whole front end? You could have either a bad bearing or loose steering stem bearings. This is more common.
sgkramar likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page