Bearing service - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
N4HHE ,I kept asking because it's out of my comfort zone . But if it's an hour for you to get apart I'll go for it even if it takes me all day. I have to figure out a way to secure the bike but not worried. I may as well try as losing faith in shops.
If you can take front wheel off then getting the rest of it apart is easy.

Driving the old races out of the chassis is pretty easy. Just don’t bang on the aluminum lip backing the race. Each lip has 2 half moon notches to get at the race.

This is the view from underneath after bottom race has been removed.

Hardest thing is to get the bottom inner race off. Next hardest is to install new upper and lower races in the chassis. You might be able to do without but a race driver eliminates the possibility of a drift slipping to mar the race or your aluminum chassis.

Did a friend’s 2018 with 4,000 miles a month or two ago. He had lots of doubt but no more.
2GENAE likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 10-01-2020 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
Retorqued the steering bearing but wobble is still there. So need new bearings at 3200 mi as it's getting worse as it's too annoying to ride at this point. I want to learn to work on my own bike but don't see much detail on removing lower tree in Haynes manual. They imply I should already know what I am doing. Or is it difficult enough if I need to ask I shouldn't try?
Can't find it searching forum and give up. Is there a thread that covers the removal? Thanks, Jim
Hello Beacon, I just ordered All Balls fork seals and tapered bearings today from Sport Bike Track Gear. Both of those kits work for the 2003-2013 FJR's

All Balls Seals $19.23
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/a...dust-seal-kit/

All Balls Tapered Bearings $32.75
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/a...m-bearing-kit/

I was originally going to go with SKF fork seals on the advice of a couple of members, but I couldn't locate them online

Good luck

David

2005 FJR1300 non abs
Corbin Smuggler
Murph's peg lowering kit
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have done head bearings in 4 FJR's so far since 2018. I used an air chisel the 1st time on the lower race on the stem and made a couple marks but light filing with a fine file made all good. I have a monster flat blade screwdriver that I used to hammer out the upper and lower races in the frame. Putting the new races in the frame was using a punch and hammer as was driving the lower bearing down the stem. Took me 5 hrs the 1st time.

2nd time was air chisel and a pc of .020 flat stock aluminum so not to mark up the lower tree or stem. This time I bought a bearing driver made to put the lower bearing on the stem and worked great. The frame races came out with the big screwdriver again. To put the races back in the frame I used punch and hammer to get them started then made a press with 2 sockets (1 1/4 in), 4 big thick washers, 2 ft of 1/2 in threaded rod and used the long nuts that is used to put 2 pcs of threaded rod together. The sockets fit the races and as I tighten up the nuts the races slid into place. Went down to 3 hrs

3d and 4th time the only change was buying a longer small flat tip for the air chisel to pop the old races out of the frame. Did not make much difference in time but made the job easier

5th will be my friends this winter.

All times were done on the center stand ............................... and a lift.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife) "Now Mine"

Last edited by ReRose; 10-01-2020 at 10:46 PM.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 01:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
I was originally going to go with SKF fork seals on the advice of a couple of members, but I couldn't locate them online
There is one vendor claiming to have SKF seals for FJR but his P/N is a 43mm seal. In other words he doesnít have it either.

The OE seal and shield kit from Rocky Mountain may cost less than the All-Balls.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks,I will order bearings after work. The pictures help now that I see what's in there I'll look for the notches . Thank you everyone for the advice as it now I think I can do it myself. Just going to take my time with it. Jim

2016 ES. in Ct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page