Fork Seal replacement going wrong - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cra-z1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Fork Seal replacement going wrong

Hi there fellow riders.
I purchased a 2012 FJR1300 with 7400 miles on it in late May, and at the time of purchase I had noticed that the right fork seal was l weeping oil a little. 2000 miles later and I'm trying to do my first fork seal replacement job and I've run into an issue.

I have the new seal loaded into the fork, and last night at 1am while I was trying to get it seated I noticed the fork tube bound up and won't move. I tried to get it to release for about an hour, including using a floor jack and some wood to try and push it loose to no avail.
Anyone got any tips on how to unbork this before I cause too much expensive damage?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16004571414595326115249942086854_1600457153167.jpg (203.3 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Sorry, Cam, I haven't had mine apart yet...

That is a "Winter" project for me.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 11:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Tonight I can't look at your pic....... I'm a little confused... you already have the new seal in and the forks jammed? Shoulda only happened while you were slide-hammering them apart... here's the deal.....

The middle bushing has to be unseated with the lower bushing while slide-hammering it apart. That part happens easily. The upper bushing is an interference fit like I haven't seen on other bikes, and is a bear to unseat (along with the old seal).... so you MUST (very highly recommended at least), heat the lower fork tube in the upper bushing area to expand it or help loosen the bond, then slide hammer it out.

What happens is the lower bushing being a smaller diameter can go inside the middle bushing and expand it to the point of jamming inside the tube.
Now what.... BIG RUBBER hammer and beat the fork tube back down or put it in a hydraulic press. All such that you won't damage the fork tube at the top end (thus the BIG RUBBER hammer). May have to repeat.....

So if you already have the new seal in, and if the lower bushing is now somehow got jammed in the middle bushing again (there should have been no reason to slide that tube back up, so that's the part I don't understand), you will have to beat the fork tube back.

There is a chance the middle and/or lower bushing is now damaged (by the lower bushing), and you should now repeat removal of the upper bushing and seal, replace whatever and re-assemble. You should be able to re-use the upper bushing and the seal.

I do all my fork work with the forks clamped horizontally in a good vice. Perfect alignment when slide-hammering contributes to all this jamming... try not to be perfectly lined up....... and don't worry, you ain't the only one......
It has been debated about leaving the middle bushing out as its function is questionable (Gen 1 never had one). I'll leave that up to you.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 12:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Also before replacing a seal because of weeping try this tool. They do work.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...CABEgJhEfD_BwE
justacrossthehill likes this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page