oil change is easy.... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

oil change is easy....

Greetings, Did the 600 miles 1st oil change. Overall, easier than changing it in my vtx1300c. The FJR has good clearance to place the oil pan. Only trouble I had was opening the drain bolt for it sure was a tad bit too tight.

Paid too much for oil: I paid about $78 for oil, filter and crush washer at the dealership. Next time, I am picking up oil at a local auto store...

OBSERVATION: After filling the gallon, the oil level in the viewer was correct. However, after running the engine for a couple of mins, the oil level dropped and that is when I added a bit more to level it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 02:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

It is a pleasure to change the oil and filter on this bike.

I think the Yamalube 10w40 I get at my shop is around $21 a gal (and you can get it for $19.94 from Revzilla) and an oe filter 5GH-13440-61 is about $12 ($10.07 at Revzilla).... Less than $35 for the whole kit and caboodle

Revzilla will even ship it to your door for free if you spend like $40, so you don't even have to leave the house
FjrjrF, 2GENAE, hANNAbONE and 1 others like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 09-01-2020 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 02:39 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I picked up the kit for my oil change this morning. Total was $53 for oil filter, oil, washer and final drive fluid. I, of course, had to wonder why Mama Yama would package oil in quarts rather than liters, other than to sell an extra quart. I forget what oil I put in my BMW, but it came in a 4-liter jug...
Skidwai likes this.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One gallon exactly is what both my FJRs have taken. I put the quart of FD fluid on a pointy neck gear oil bottle to make it easy to fill the FD. I normally buy yamalube 10w40 from Amazon. Backup is mobile 1 4T racing from Autozone. May have to cross check with Revzilla next time.
2GENAE, hANNAbONE and Skidwai like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Skidwai: I have always found that getting the oil level correct on my FJR and Super Tenere is a task best taken gradually. It seems like the oil level changes for the first several heat/cool cycles so it's easy to overfill the bike. For the record, my 2006 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere and my 2020 FJR were all delivered from the dealership with overfilled crankcases.

Not to start an oil debate, but I hope you can get motorcycle specific oil at your auto parts store. Also, are you aware of Yamaha's free 160,000km (100,000 mile) warranty on oil wetted parts IF you use Yamaha oil filters and Yamalube oil? If the dealer is gouging you do like Bill says and buy your Yamalube from Amazon.

Judgedelta: If every country used the metric system of measurement the world would be a better place.😁

Haynes
Skidwai likes this.

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

"Judgedelta: If every country used the metric system of measurement the world would be a better place.😁"

Yeah, as long as you're not a carpenter.
Skidwai likes this.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
Skidwai: I have always found that getting the oil level correct on my FJR and Super Tenere is a task best taken gradually. It seems like the oil level changes for the first several heat/cool cycles so it's easy to overfill the bike. For the record, my 2006 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere and my 2020 FJR were all delivered from the dealership with overfilled crankcases.

Not to start an oil debate, but I hope you can get motorcycle specific oil at your auto parts store. Also, are you aware of Yamaha's free 160,000km (100,000 mile) warranty on oil wetted parts IF you use Yamaha oil filters and Yamalube oil? If the dealer is gouging you do like Bill says and buy your Yamalube from Amazon.

Judgedelta: If every country used the metric system of measurement the world would be a better place.😁

Haynes
In USA there is a law called magnuson moss warranty act which in essence states that if a warranty claims you MUST use (for instance ) an manufacturers oil .. they have to PROVE that their oil has some magic formula in it that you cant get any place else .. or if they insist they must provide the super secret magic oil for free ...
in other other words if you are using almost any present day oils of proper weight you can do it yourself and still have your warranty
Skidwai likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 10:15 PM
FJR Top Gun

Actually I think it means they cant deny you the factory warranty as long as you use items that meets the manufacturer's specifications installed by someone by factory standards.
Redfish and Skidwai like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 10:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

yes I agree .. and almost ALL oils meet said standards.. if not yamaha would need to provide WHAT test was done that only Yamalube could pass but lets say T-6 rotella could not
Skidwai and blast like this.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 11:04 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

oil change is easy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidwai View Post
Greetings, Did the 600 miles 1st oil change. OBSERVATION: After filling the gallon, the oil level in the viewer was correct. However, after running the engine for a couple of mins, the oil level dropped and that is when I added a bit more to level it out.
Skidwai,

It is a normal practice for an oil-change-with-new-oil-filter to run the engine for a while, to fill up the new (empty) oil filter with oil. Then the oil level will be somewhat low, and you will need to add a dash more oil. No mystery there.

Caution: A short engine run on the FJR when cold, with a cold-engine shut-down, may cause very hard starting next time. You may need to crank the starter like forever at the next start-up, if you did that. The fuel injection system gets "confused" by a cold shut-down and will flood the engine at the next start-up. The remedy, of course, is to never shut down the engine when cold. Always let the engine warm up fully (I let the fans kick in once, to be sure) before you shut off the engine. This simple practice will avoid the "hard-starting" problem, for the next engine start-up.

We have seen people here getting out the wrenches after they do a cold-engine shutdown (and then it won't start), as if anybody could fix this problem by replacing any parts. Just warm-it-up first, before shutting down the engine. Word to the wise . . .
Skidwai and blast like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page