oil change is easy.... - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 09:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
My point is that having one system of measurement is better and I favour the Metric System because it is a decimal based system that is logical and easily understandable, and it is computer/math friendly. Also, to the best of my knowledge there is only one definition of the volume of a millilitre (for example).
So, there should be only one motorcycle, the FJR, because it is logical and perfect and great and all that? Guess we should all be speaking Esperanto because all those complex arbitrary different languages are confusing.

Or possibly having multiple units of measure serves good purpose forcing people to think about exactly what it is they are measuring?

Pi is approximately 3.141592653589793. Terribly inconvenient. We need a number system where Pi is exactly 3. Or 4.

16 oz/pound is inconvenient and not computer/math friendly? 12 inches/foot, 5280 feet/mile? Decimal system is not computer friendly because the computer is binary. 16 is a round number for the computer, 10 is not. 1000 to the computer is 1024. But we make it work.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
You know the Rabbit Hole exists when you enter an oil thread to find members trying to kick out SAE and move to metric.

BTW - I'm 58 yrs old and they've been saying the U.S. is going to the metric system since I was in elementary school. They taught both... alongside the slide ruler!
passx and 2GENAE like this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale I View Post
You know the Rabbit Hole exists when you enter an oil thread to find members trying to kick out SAE and move to metric.

BTW - I'm 58 yrs old and they've been saying the U.S. is going to the metric system since I was in elementary school. They taught both... alongside the slide ruler!
Yet I believe your sciences have already.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfjr View Post
Yet I believe your sciences have already.
Don't get me wrong... I believe they will... some day. And... likewise... I'm sure there will be a few old school hold outs.

Just not sure I would use an oil thread to garner support.

Point being... oil threads have a tendency to delude into the greater depths of life... where few venture to remain.
RaYzerman, Myfjr and 2GENAE like this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.

Last edited by Dale I; 09-07-2020 at 11:53 AM.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
So, there should be only one motorcycle, the FJR, because it is logical and perfect and great and all that? Guess we should all be speaking Esperanto because all those complex arbitrary different languages are confusing.

Or possibly having multiple units of measure serves good purpose forcing people to think about exactly what it is they are measuring?

Pi is approximately 3.141592653589793. Terribly inconvenient. We need a number system where Pi is exactly 3. Or 4.

16 oz/pound is inconvenient and not computer/math friendly? 12 inches/foot, 5280 feet/mile? Decimal system is not computer friendly because the computer is binary. 16 is a round number for the computer, 10 is not. 1000 to the computer is 1024. But we make it work.
Okay, now you’ve really lost me: I never said the FJR was perfect (it isn't) or logical (?) and I bet there’s more than one opinion on what is the perfect motorcycle. Nothing is perfect, including whatever system of measurement we use.

The Imperial System is not going away nor am I advocating that it should. Many people in my world use a combination of both Metric and Imperial. Even our much debated motorcycle tires are sized with a combination of Metric and Imperial units. I am only suggesting that for technical and scientific things, one system of measurement be used and it is my opinion that the Metric System is superior for such purposes.

Maybe it’s different below the 49th parallel but in the North of North America we routinely have to deal with US and Imperial units and it can get confusing. Most folks up here know that the US pint is only 16 ounces and therefore the US quart is 32 ounces and US gallon is 128 ounces (versus 20, 40 and 160 Imperial ounces respectively) but I’d bet that most folks don’t know that the US ounce is bigger than the Imperial ounce (I believe I erred above when I originally said that the US ounce was smaller. It isn’t: US ounce is 29.57 ml, Imperial ounce is 28.41 ml. I have corrected the error in the original post. At least I knew they were different. Thanks Google!).

I'm not a mathematician or an engineer but my understanding is that Pi is a constant based on the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and it has no units. Your statement is pure nonsense, and yes, I know you're kidding (I hope).

My math/computer-friendly statement was a reference to often having to convert fractions (1/64" = 0.015625") to decimals in order to use a calculator or computer. Talk of computers being binary while true only serves to obfuscate this discussion.

Also try getting kids to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions, like parts of inches, then have them do the same thing with numbers containing a decimal point and you’ll likely understand my point. I guess I should have been clearer.

The Imperial System is convenient and quick for those of us who know it and for mundane things it is great because we are familiar with how long, for example, an inch or a foot is. Also, it strikes me that the Metric System if anything is often too precise for use when speaking of things mundane. Would I actually ever report my height as 6 feet , 2 and 1/64 inches. Unlikely but that is my Metric height of 1.88 meters. (Step away from your calculator, it’s actually 1.879996875 meters. I’m just trying to give a real world example.)

“Dale I” is correct: This is a rabbit hole, yet it is kind-a fun going down it.

More time wasted. I have to get up early and do an oil change on my Metric Bike before I head out on a 1600 kilometre, I mean 994.1939075797 mile ride. Sure glad my Yamalube 10W40 comes in litres.

Haynes

PS: I wonder how many potential Iron-Butt members failed in their quest to complete a Saddlesore 1600K because they didn’t read the rules about the required distance. Nothing like two systems of linear measurement to confuse things.

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "

Last edited by Haynes; 09-07-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Typos
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 12:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Well, At least both of you can agree on what side of the road to drive on. I think.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 03:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertO2016 View Post
Well, At least both of you can agree on what side of the road to drive on. I think.
Sure doesn't sound like it, does it?

How about everyone just chills and gets back to changing oil. Do we really have to go off the rails like this? Since the OP appears to be from The States, should we require all of the conversation to be in States lingo?

Be [back] on topic or be gone I say!

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:04 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
hey, don't question Haynes, he wrote the manual! LOL
skippy344! likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If your oil comes in litres, use litres. If it comes in quarts, use quarts. Read the manual.
Much worse, I don't change my GPS to display miles or mph, ever. I'm used to it, it works for me.
passx and N4HHE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 12:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
If your oil comes in litres, use litres. If it comes in quarts, use quarts. Read the manual.
Much worse, I don't change my GPS to display miles or mph, ever. I'm used to it, it works for me.
That us exactly my point. That there isnít just one natural reasonable system of units. Just as there isnít just one natural and reasonable motorcycle.

Having different units forces one to think about the differences.

9.8 m/s≤ or 32.2 ft/s≤ ? One will not confuse so long as one pays attention to the units. Early lesson in engineering is that one must work the math on both numbers and units. A meter divided by meter cancels, but meter divided by foot means something needs a conversion.

Fractions would have to be invented to teach division if fractions did not already exist. Try to teach a child to divide 0.125 by 2? Or multiply by 2? Is easy in fractions. That is why construction stays with fractions, because it is easy to do in oneís head with more than adequate precision. The fraction retains 100% precision, no decimal rounding, itís just that measuring is the weak point.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page