'06 fork parts - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

'06 fork parts

The rear shock on my '06 was used up, so I finally decided to have Washington Cycle Works do the suspension. Turns out I should have done this a bit sooner.

First, Yamaha shows the fork tubes as being no longer manufactured, but that they have a few left in stock. However, after some delay, the eventual conclusion is that they cannot actually find them. As such, I'll have K-Tech fork tubes when this is done.

Second, it appears that someone was previously in the forks because the "cup" at the bottom of one of them was damaged. The guess is that it wasn't seated properly when everything was reassembled and so it got dinged up. The part number is 5LV-23173-00-00. Apparently this also shows as being available, but Yamaha doesn't actually have any.

Does anyone have a source for one of these? So far all my mechanic has found is entire forks where the fork is bent badly enough that he suspects we'd find the cup inside would also be damaged.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That is the oil lock piece... damaged forks shouldn't hurt it, it's pretty well held in place. I suspect it was damaged while outside the forks... or on re-assembly, somebody did not ensure it was lined up before sliding the fork tube in.
As long as the ID is ok and no burrs on the outside, functionally it should be oK. The cartridge goes inside it. If you order one, it may have to come from Japan.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

The mechanic says that it appears not to have been lined up properly when reassembled before. Plan B is to have a machinist try to clean up the burrs on the outside, but if someone knows of a source for a clean, used one, that would be ideal. And unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't seem to have any more, even in Japan, hence this plea. Thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Looks like same part used on 01-05 fazer 1k. Might help with the search.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 10:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If the forks were disassembled, it's easy for one to forget the oil lock piece is in there. Putting the fork tube back in might result in some damage if it got out of place. The way to do it is put the tube in first (Gen2//3), put the oil lock piece on the bottom of the cartridge and slide it in (fork held horizontally in a vice), then install the lower bolt to the cartridge. OR, install the cartridge first and the tube later (as you must do with Gen1). IF the damage/burrs are on the outside, no worries, just clean them up and use your existing part.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page