Replaced clutch plates, now doesn't work. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Replaced clutch plates, now doesn't work.

My clutch plates were warn on my 2003 FJR, so I replaced them. Nothing out of the ordinary, I've done this on a couple of bikes in the past, only this time when I put it back together it didn't engage and the clutch lever felt really hard.

The next thing I did is change my clutch fluid. That didn't help. So I took the plates out and double checked that I got the order correct and had the correct amount of plates. Everything looks right.

The wire retainer is in place, the plates are in the correct order, the oil is synthetic motorcycle oil, clutch fluid in the line is fresh, I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 05:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There is a loose ball bearing that goes up the center of the main, hollow drive shaft, and it sits in front of the clutch push rod. Did you encounter this ball? Could this ball have fallen out and now be lying at the bottom of the engine oil pan, or on your garage floor?
FjrjrF likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 07:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What Bernie says....
You really don't have a choice but to re-check your assembly. Remove pressure plate, ensure parts diagram item 12 spring is properly oriented, 25 ball is present (grease it), and 16 bearing is properly seated. Re-assemble try it. If not working, recheck item 5 spring is properly oriented.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks guys, you've likely got it. I'll check this afternoon.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 04:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
As the wise Bernie said, it is a single ball bearing that came out when you disassembled and not put back. I know, I had the same thing. On partszilla, look at the part schematic, it is hard to follow but it is there. That is your issue, it is no longer there.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Good and bad news.

Good news is the ball is there and spring #5 was in backwards. So now its in correctly. Spring #13was and still is in correctly as well.
While in there I again checked all of the plates were in the right order and there are the right amount. Plates are properly soaked in oil.

Bad news is pulling the clutch still feels quite hard and when I put it in gear and release the clutch lever nothing happens.

I am at a complete loss.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've never done it on the FJR so I may be way of base but for Harley's you have to release all clutch cable pressure that you can using adjustments available for the cable.....oh and Harley's should be in neutral. Swap plates, button up then readjust clutch lever to your preference. If you don't do that they either crawl and you can never fully get out of gear or the exact opposite....

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 09:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Umm, all FJRs have hydraulically operated clutches.
nunia720 likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 09:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With everything assembled correctly, the spring (13) should be pushing everything together, such that when in gear (engine off, stopped, in gear, on centerstand) rear wheel should not be able to rotate. Will it?
If so, then something is holding that clutch rod from returning to rest position (slave cylinder retracted), lever out. If lever is hard to pull, perhaps slave has not retracted, still pushing on clutch rod, which is pushing against the spring (13).
Have to make sure the bearing 16 and push rod 26 aren't hung up on each other. Hung up, it in effect makes the clutch rod longer.... I'd recheck this first.

Hard to believe the hydraulics are an issue being you just bled them... if all above is correct, then fluid may not be returning to the reservoir, what would happen if you cracked open the bleeder (be prepared to re-bleed)... does fluid come out with some pressure, and then can you rotate rear wheel with it in gear?
If so, then perhaps master cylinder issue? Clogged return fluid passage?
nunia720 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 10:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
So Ray, in the process of removing plates, re-installing them all that stuff, air shouldn't or couldn't be introduced?

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page