Coolant hoses. Anyone with 14 Y.O. coolant hoses and are you worried? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

14 year old Coolant Hoses?

Hello forum,

Haven't been around for a while but Ive always looked to the forum and its members for reliable advice.

A quick refresh - (or take a look at my post history for more about me and my bike.)

06 with 50500 miles always garaged, routine maintenance performed yearly, ridden regularly never stored or neglected since I began ownership at 28000.

I have a small leak at the thermostat housing and the short hose that is attached to the metal half of that housing. The housing is a bit crusty at its junction of the two halves and the hose seems to be weeping small amounts of coolant from its ends and/or the inner reinforcing fiber after a ride. It stays dry until after a ride and the bike is shut off. No drips on the ground no measurable loss of fluid.

Obviously I will be replacing the thermostat and hose. I have the lower plastic off of one side and am able to inspect all related coolant hoses and they all appear to be in very good condition with no bulging or evidence of leaks.

However, they do appear to be original from the factory but really no way to confirm. If they are original, they are in great shape but 14 years old. There is nothing in the service records from the previous owner indicating that they have ever been replaced. I have owned the bike for 4 years.

Yamaha dealership is recommending that I replace all of them including the clamps? and says the service interval for replacement is, wait for it... 4 years.

I'll be doing the work myself and dont mind replacing all of them if it is necessary. What I dont want to do is risk breaking delicate radiator inlets or other pipes and fittings changing hoses that look perfectly good if they dont need to be replaced.

Is anyone running 14 Year old hoses?

I do an annual coolant flush and have never had black discoloration, chunks or anything else in my coolant. It always has and always does come out the same as it went in!

As always before, I appreciate any and all comments but most of all, advice.

Thanks FJR Owners!!

Surrender to the flow

Present-2006 Yamaha FJR 1300A-2004 Honda CRF150F
Past-1981 Yamaha Seca XJ 550-1974 Suzuki 150 Enduro

Last edited by Uenjoymyself; 08-14-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 07:11 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've got an '06 with (wait for it......) 20K miles. I bought it 4 years ago with 6K miles. Always garage kept. Not worried about hoses.
Uenjoymyself likes this.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

My 92 ZX-11 with 60K miles that I have owned since new has the original hoses on it. Yeah, I might be pushing it a little now that I think about it lol
Uenjoymyself likes this.

2016 ES

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uenjoymyself View Post
Is anyone running 14 Year old hoses?

A year ago… Yes, I was running 14+ year old hoses… all original on my ’05 FJR with 78K miles.
At the time, my next valve check was coming up and since I’d have the bike torn part, I decided I would also change the hoses and it was getting new coolant anyway.
I had gotten the occasional coolant smell at morning start-up so I wanted to address that too but I did not find any obvious leaks.
So I replaced ALL of the hoses and it was around $200 if I recall correctly… and I did this really for the peace-of-mind despite the old hoses still looking good.
Some of the hoses were on back order so it took a few months to get them and two actually arrived after I did the work (I just replaced those later); t-stat was replaced at previous valve check.
From the picture, you can see I also replaced the water pump as my original had the slightest dribble from the weep hole (replacement was GEN3 low mile unit from ebay)… fits perfectly.
Anyway, I think the oem hoses are very robust and, assuming no obvious issues, should be good for a while.
Regards,
Mr. BR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR old parts.jpg (128.5 KB, 13 views)
Uenjoymyself and Kelvin like this.

Last edited by Mr. BR; 08-30-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: clarity
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 06:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Only 12 yrs here but I have no worries. Regular coolant maintenance (changes) removes a lot of the destructive force (acids) on hoses.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
I've got an '06 with (wait for it......) 20K miles. I bought it 4 years ago with 6K miles. Always garage kept. Not worried about hoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-11 View Post
My 92 ZX-11 with 60K miles that I have owned since new has the original hoses on it. Yeah, I might be pushing it a little now that I think about it lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BR View Post
A year ago… Yes, I was running 14+ year old hoses… all original on my ’05 FJR with 78K miles.
At the time, my next valve check was coming up and since I’d have the bike torn part, I decided I would also change the hoses and it was getting new coolant anyway.
I had gotten the occasional coolant smell at morning start-up so I wanted to address that too but I did not find any obvious leaks.
So I replaced ALL of the hoses and it was around $200 if I recall correctly… and I did this really for the peace-of-mind despite the old hoses still looking good.
Some of the hoses were on back order so it took a few months them and two actually arrived after I did the work (I just replaced those later); t-stat was replaced at previous valve check.
From the picture, you can see I also replaced the water pump as my original had the slightest dribble from the weep hole (replacement was GEN3 low mile unit from ebay)… fits perfectly.
Anyway, I think the oem hoses are very robust and, assuming no obvious issues, should be good for a while.
Regards,
Mr. BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Only 12 yrs here but I have no worries. Regular coolant maintenance (changes) removes a lot of the destructive force (acids) on hoses.
Thank you Gents!

Your answers pretty much mirrored my thoughts but I always like to be sure. The sound advice that I receive from FJR owners is always preferred and greatly appreciated!

I went ahead and ordered all of the related coolant hoses just so I would have them. I'll go ahead and replace the T stat and the leaky hose to get me through the rest of the season. Then come winter I may replace the rest depending on how ambitious I feel. I usually remove the lower plastics and tank to gain access to the motor for inspection and cleaning bi-annually anyway so this will give me the opportunity to bond with my FJR come winter time.

I was pleasantly surprised when all of the hoses including bypass to oil cooler, T stat, recovery tank, drain plug washers, air filter, clutch lever bushing, assorted nuts and bolts and odds and ends were purchased fairly reasonably from my local dealer as they were able to match the on-line "wholesale" prices that I had researched! AMAZING!

As before and always, Thank you for the reassurance and guidance!

Surrender to the flow

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 08:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I replaced a coolant hose on my 04 FZ1 which was located in the area of the front sprocket and was getting a little soft because of chain lubricant getting on it. The PO was a chain lubricant fanatic.
I figure that under normal circumstances, OEM Japanese hoses will pretty much last for the life of the vehicle.
Uenjoymyself likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 09:52 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

21 year old hoses on my VFR, looked good, but since the thermostat replacement requires extensive teardown you don't want to repeat unless you have to, I put a set of fancy silicone hoses on.
The old hoses I think are fine if not visibly cracked or "old", and the outers will look bad/swollen if oil dripping on them... should replace any like that.
The diecast thermostat housings can "corrode" or get pitted from slight leakage, hopefully one can clean that up, if not, get a new housing. You'll only be able to assess once disassembled.
When you loosen clamps, give the hose a twist/rotate to break the bond to the coolant fitting its on.
Uenjoymyself likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

So, I'm back!

I replaced the thermostat and the die cast housing as recommended since the original was pitted. Also replaced the hose that leads from the housing to the metal tube that bends up into the motor bay and connects to another hose that attaches at the coolant rail a top the motor.

The strangest thing happened after I filled with new coolant, warmed the bike until the fans came on and inspected for leaks.

The phenomenon that I believed was a failed hose weeping coolant at the ends of the old hose occurred with the new hose after only ten minutes running and one heat cycle.

The hose clamps are not over tightened or cutting into the new hose and it is not leaking coolant from between the hose and its fitting as it may appear in picture two.

The fluid feels sticky to the touch and is thicker than coolant. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

My only conclusion is that the fiber reinforcement in the hose is infused with a sealant of some sort which activates with heat? Just reaching here because I cannot come up with another explanation!

Brand new hose from the Yamaha dealership, packaged and branded Yamaha, made in japan.

The kid at the parts counter said it is normal, but I've never seen this on any coolant hose on any vehicle, four or two wheels, (other than the old one that was replaced) ever!

I'll be calling back on Monday to talk to the service manager.

What do you guys think??

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR hose.jpg (100.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg fjr hose 2.jpg (67.5 KB, 18 views)

Surrender to the flow

Last edited by Uenjoymyself; 08-29-2020 at 10:02 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 07:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can't say I've seen that before... weird. Give the service manager those pics. It may go away, might be perfectly fine... ask him for a new hose and see what he says.
Uenjoymyself likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page