Coolant hoses. Anyone with 14 Y.O. coolant hoses and are you worried? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Like Ray, Iíve NEVER seen that one before. Talk to the service manager because I donít see that being good or ending well. Iíll add that IF I keep my FJR I plan to replace the hoses on the next coolant change and I plan to do so with silicone hoses thatíll be good for the rest of my life, never Mess with them again.
Uenjoymyself likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 09:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

never seen or heard about this either the colour looks a bit like you get when you have a blown headgasket and the oil mixes with the coolant

but i don't think that that's the case here seems like its the hose itself i would bring that hose back to where you got it from this doesn't seem normal to me and i wouldn't want that goop to end up in my water pump

i'm still running the 15 year old hoses i've only got 1 that's a bit iffy but for now it seems to hold if it aint broken don't fix it right?
Uenjoymyself likes this.

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 08:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
that does look close to head gasket issues minus the milkiness normally associated with that. Did you look down the hose before install to make sure it was clean? Just a thought....
Uenjoymyself likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I can't say I've seen that before... weird. Give the service manager those pics. It may go away, might be perfectly fine... ask him for a new hose and see what he says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Like Ray, I’ve NEVER seen that one before. Talk to the service manager because I don’t see that being good or ending well. I’ll add that IF I keep my FJR I plan to replace the hoses on the next coolant change and I plan to do so with silicone hoses that’ll be good for the rest of my life, never Mess with them again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
never seen or heard about this either the colour looks a bit like you get when you have a blown headgasket and the oil mixes with the coolant

but i don't think that that's the case here seems like its the hose itself i would bring that hose back to where you got it from this doesn't seem normal to me and i wouldn't want that goop to end up in my water pump

i'm still running the 15 year old hoses i've only got 1 that's a bit iffy but for now it seems to hold if it aint broken don't fix it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
that does look close to head gasket issues minus the milkiness normally associated with that. Did you look down the hose before install to make sure it was clean? Just a thought....

Thanks for the replies gents though you're freaking me out with talk of blown head gaskets!!

Ive looked close at the coolant that was drained, no black chunks that would indicate rotting hoses, no milkiness in the coolant or my oil through the sight window, no measurable loss of coolant or oil- and the coolant, other than being slightly darker than when it went in ( less florescent compared to new) looks and smells normal.

How would a blown head gasket produce evidence of being so through the walls and past the clamps of a brand new hose??

I have inspected the old hose, which doesn't look dissimilar to the new one, for cracks splits tears, anything that could let coolant into the inner reinforcing fibers and found nothing. I have run my finger along the inner wall and try as I may no black chaffing or evidence of wear or corrosion.

I did look down the pipe that the new hose connected to and found nothing but normal looking coolant. No gunk, no build up of any sort and no milk. I also inspected the thermostat thoroughly and other than a worn flattened and crusty seal, which I now understand was the true source of my leak, the thermostat appears normal. No goo, no chunks no milk, no evidence of corrosion to the seal (no black rubs off)

Hard as it is to believe and completely unusual it does appear to be the hose itself (both of them old and new) that is purging some sort of hose byproduct from their ends under temperature.

With the side plastic off and waiting until monday to get an answer I decided to detail the engine in the areas that are unreachable to keep myself occupied. I noticed that the mystery solution on "the hose" had dried or receded, I dont know which, and looked normal.

This hose, which is connected to the die cast half of the thermostat housing is buried way up under the top half of the faring, behind the glove box, behind the fill cap where the plastic tapers into the tank. Its not an area that is usually seen when doing a service like changing coolant, which I do annually. Unless you have the nose off you wouldn't have a clear view of it.

Is it unreasonable to think that the original hose had the dried goo on its ends the entire time Ive had the bike and that it wasn't noticed until my thermostat housing began leaking and I mistook the appearance of the hose ends as a leak?

I ran the bike to temperature again today after topping off the coolant. I also went for a short ride around the neighborhood. "The hose" looked normal the entire time. Only after shutting the bike off did it react again exhibiting the same symptoms but to a lesser extent.

Another thing I did note which may or may not be of consequence. "The hose" is the one hose that is highest in the system and the only hose that is on the motor side of the thermostat. all of the other hoses are on the radiator side of the t-stat. Also, after draining the coolant, installing "the hose" , and refilling the system, it "the hose" would have been full of air until the t-stat opened.

I guess I'll know more tomorrow. I'll report back either way.

Thank you!

Surrender to the flow

Present-2006 Yamaha FJR 1300A-2004 Honda CRF150F
Past-1981 Yamaha Seca XJ 550-1974 Suzuki 150 Enduro

Last edited by Uenjoymyself; 08-31-2020 at 02:01 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 01:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I'm puzzled as well. I'm sorry but have you flushed the system thoroughly? Reason I am asking is maybe the previous owner had that same leak, sold the bike because of it but maybe used something like Barzleak to fix it prior to getting rid of it? I know 23,000 miles of ownership and it's just now showing up but I have had barsleak work in the past on trapper cars and work for years.

Just a thought, flush with Distilled Water like you have OCD. Or even regular hose water....but 3xs or more. Just to see.....Heat cycles in between each
Uenjoymyself likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 01:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I think you might be right tho, something to do with the hose and by-product. We never see it....please let us know if you get help from dealership. Has me curious.
Uenjoymyself likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Sorry friends, Yamaha is closed on Monday. So frustrating!

I'll be sure to check back in with my findings.

Thank you FJR owners!

Surrender to the flow

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Looks like a glue used to glue the cords... I doubt very much you have anything coming out from the coolant side of the hose wall.. just never seen it before on any vehicle. It will likely dry up, but I'd still want to make a point with the dealer and get a new hose.
Uenjoymyself likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Good evening FJR owners!

Thanks to all who responded with advice and support, it is greatly appreciated!

I spoke with four people from three different Yamaha dealerships. One parts guy, two tech's and a service manager.

The guy at the parts counter told me that he didn't have an explanation as to why it happens but that his new R1 did the same thing.

Two tech's at different dealerships said that it was inconsequential. One had never actually seen it before and one called it "new hose weep" and explained that a chemical compound used in the production of the hose was weeping from the ends at the first heat cycle. both said to wipe it off and not worry about it.

The service manager at the dealership I ordered the parts from said pretty much the same thing after I sent him the pictures I posted here. That it was likely part of the chemical composition of the hose activated by heat, dont worry about it, wipe it off it should go away. He said that he had never seen it before but he also mentioned that when they change hoses they inspect for leaks and if it isnt dripping they send the bike on it's way. As I mentioned, this hose is nearly impossible to see with the side plastics in place.

I completely trust this gentleman. I have been dealing with him since I purchased the bike. I brought it to him to look at and listen to. He took it for a test ride, reassured me and charged me nothing.

On a second occasion I was rebuilding my water pump and he instructed me how to use heat and cold to remove the seal and bearing. When I showed up at his desk with my water pump housing, he took it into the back polished the seat where the bearing rides, handed it back to me, no charge and explained again how to use the oven and the freezer for ease of installation of the bearing.

He has always been completely honest and dependable so I have no hesitation taking his advice in this instance. He assured me that absolutely no harm can come to my bike and/or its cooling system.

Before replacing the side plastics today I brought the bike up to temperature again and found that the "occurrence"
had lessened again to a barely noticeable amount. I wiped it of, replaced the plastic and went for a ride!

Case closed as far as I'm concerned!

If anyone has evidence to the contrary, please chime in!

Thanks to all! Happy riding!!

P.S. Next valve check I'll likely replace all of my hoses. Where would one go to find these new-fangled lifetime silicone replacements??

Thanks again!
RaYzerman likes this.

Surrender to the flow

Last edited by Uenjoymyself; 09-02-2020 at 02:33 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Looks like a glue used to glue the cords... I doubt very much you have anything coming out from the coolant side of the hose wall.. just never seen it before on any vehicle. It will likely dry up, but I'd still want to make a point with the dealer and get a new hose.

Ray,

I seriously considered doing just that but after speaking to my service manager, with whom I am completely at ease, I decided to just run with it as I can't imagine that he would steer me wrong.

For an $8.00 part, that I installed, I'm confident that if there were any doubt in his mind as to it's integrity that he would have suggested replacing it.

Thank you Brother!
RaYzerman likes this.

Surrender to the flow

Last edited by Uenjoymyself; 09-02-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page