For your entertainment - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

For your entertainment

I spent the day changing headlight bulbs. Unbelievable that you have to pull plastic to get to the bulbs. Of course, I loosened the screw that holds the wire spring the holds the bulb and it fell into the nose. So, it got worse. I changed both bulbs because I didnít want to do this again. I am all for a naked FJR.

Ray
Gray Squall and Versatek6 like this.

2013 FJR1300A #337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The last time I replaced headlight bulbs I had only 3 or 4 bleeding cuts so I considered it a major success
RERJr, passx and FjrjrF like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can change them in my sleep now.... on Gen3 right side in addition to removing the plastic, you need to unclip the big relay and put it out of your way. Fun stuff.
RERJr likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 05:50 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
I spent the day changing headlight bulbs. Unbelievable that you have to pull plastic to get to the bulbs. Of course, I loosened the screw that holds the wire spring the holds the bulb and it fell into the nose. So, it got worse. I changed both bulbs because I didnít want to do this again. I am all for a naked FJR.

Ray
Always change both as you said, if you're in there getting your hands nicked, might as well do both! It's funny how many times they burn out. I've tried a few manufacturers and they all seem to last a year and a day! I now carry a spare set on long trips.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 06:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

I was looking at mine the other day ... can it be accessed from under neath .. there seems to be a plate/ guard in the way and if that were removed ///MAYBE?
The main reason I ask it my tiny little screws have been stripped out by the previous owner and if looks like I ma have to drill them out ..so small might be a real chore and I may still cause damage
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
I was looking at mine the other day ... can it be accessed from under neath .. there seems to be a plate/ guard in the way and if that were removed ///MAYBE?
The main reason I ask it my tiny little screws have been stripped out by the previous owner and if looks like I ma have to drill them out ..so small might be a real chore and I may still cause damage
I donít know. This was my first time changing a headlight bulb and I could not figure it out by feel. Mine is a 2013, Gen 3. There is a three prong plug and big round rubber boot that keeps the weather/water out. Pull the plug. Pull the boot. They may come off together. Then there is a wire/spring that has a screw holding it on one side. It kind of functions like a hinge. Opposite side can be unhooked by pulling it down? Someone help. Swing the wire/spring open. The bulb can be removed. Anyone feel free to correct me, my memory isnít what it was.

2013 FJR1300A #337
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 07:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Been about 5 or 6yr since I changed my oe headlights out for my current Piaa Nightec’s. I don’t remember it being all that difficult past the cut up hands, it wasn’t simple either but keep in mind that I really can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning either, so take it at that !

As a side note, i don’t remember having to remove any panels to replace my bulbs but that could be part of the memory thing. I do remember Thinking how difficult it would be to change a bulb on-the-road at night in a parking lot while raining/snowing, don’t laugh as I have had to service the headlight on my freshly restored. Gl1000 LTD as one of the connectors came loose on the way home from a rally, it was 36deg f and snowing, one long cold 300mi ride.

I always think about that when I think about the headlights on the FJR, thankfully there’s 2 vs only one on the LTD that had to work.
philharmonic likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-16-2020 at 08:06 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

I never had to change them in 44,000 miles on my 2006. My 2017 has LEDs, so I don't expect to change those either.
RERJr and passx like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 07:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I never had to change them in 44,000 miles on my 2006. My 2017 has LEDs, so I don't expect to change those either.
I was just thinking the same about my '17ES, what are we going to do when our LED's start burning out, wonder if Yamaha will even sell replacements ?
I guess to be prepared it would be wise to install some aftermarket AUX lights front and rear, so if they die at least you can make it home in the dark.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

what I did not include was the little adjusters screws are stripped on mine .. so I cant get the cover off the get to the bulbs I want to go LED but cant access yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page