Fans come on but temperature doesnít drop - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Fans come on but temperature doesnít drop

I recently did a valve clearance check. I had to drain a bit of coolant. I refilled the radiator. Overflow bottle is also full. Iíve been riding it but not monitoring the temperature. My fans were coming on so I assumed all is well. Today, when i got home the fans were running. I checked the temperature and it was still ~220 and not dropping. Is this air in the tube inside the valve cover? If the fans are on, is the coolant circulating? Bike is a 2013.

Thanks
Ray

2013 FJR1300A #337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Could be normal depending, but there's only one thing to do..... when cold, remove the rad cap and top it off in case it had a little too much air and didn't suck back enough from the reservoir bottle. It does take a couple of cooldown cycles to stabilize the reservoir level.
The coolant will be circulating, no worries there... if ambient air temp is high, will take longer for the fans to shut off, but as you approach home at speeds of less than 30 mph, low air flow through rads, fans will come on.
Just top off the rad and give it another cooling cycle.
RERJr and Little Joe like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks, damage is my main concern as I have ridden a couple hundred miles since the valve check.

2013 FJR1300A #337

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

If fans are running and it will not pull temp down, at least slowly, something is wrong.
Rad full of bugs, Air not completely bled , thermostat problem, low coolant.
In Canuck , fans on at 105C off at 99C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RERJr likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Tomorrow morning I open the radiator cap and make sure it's full. When I did such things on cars, I would run the engine with the cap off and wait for the fans to suck it down. Is this reasonable?

2013 FJR1300A #337
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

the temp sensor on the fjr likes it when the system is full. I waited for a couple others to answer because I have a gen2 which reads out in "bars" not digits. My bike was showing 10 bars (HOT) when stuck in traffic the first time (when I bought it used).....fans were on. It scared me so I got out of traffic and all was fine, bars went down. Even with bars full, the bike never puked any fluid. Went home and added only a few ounces of coolant, and never had the bars go over 7 since. When in traffic it will sit at 7 though, even with fan on. Hope that helps.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
Tomorrow morning I open the radiator cap and make sure it's full. When I did such things on cars, I would run the engine with the cap off and wait for the fans to suck it down. Is this reasonable?
Probably not needed and could cause a mess. I just did this and after topping off and filling reservoir to the max line I have had to add just a little a couple times over the next few rides.

No individual loss was enough to bring me down to the minimum line and now it is stable. No worries if it burps a little out the overflow during that time frame either.

It may not hurt to clean your radiator the next time you have your lowers off. I spray it down with something like Simple Green or a spray degreaser, insert a dry rag behind the radiator, and blow some compressed air until it's clean. A light behind the radiator will make it easy to see the clogged portions.

I was shocked at how dirty mine was!

I'm a Gen 2 as well. Moving it will be 3 feathers. Slow and city it will be 7 feathers. 8 feathers sometimes when I pull it into my shop and park it, but it always cools down.
RERJr likes this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.

Last edited by Dale I; 08-11-2020 at 08:43 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
when cold, remove the rad cap and top it off in case it had a little too much air and didn't suck back enough from the reservoir bottle..

Once topped off, I've always rocked/tilted the bike left and right which usually gets a few more bubbles to the rad's filler neck... and then top off again and repeat as needed.... this hasn't failed me yet!
Get some help as these are HEAVY beasts as you know!
Regards,
Mr. BR
'05 FJR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mr. BR, next time just squeeze the lower rad and water pump hoses.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 07:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With coolant work, I always refill the overflow to about 1" above the full mark. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 rides but it always burps itself down to just below the full mark. It also helps if you lean the bike against a wall or something on the right side and fill the radiator extremely slowly.
Gitbox likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page