Fans come on but temperature doesnít drop - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Added a little coolant today. Squeezed the hoses and it is behaving better. Fans on at 221F, off at 212F. Coolant drops to 205F before going back up. Letting it cool to check the level. I didnít add much but it seems to have made a difference.

Thanks all,
Ray

2013 FJR1300A #337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 02:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
Added a little coolant today. Squeezed the hoses and it is behaving better. Fans on at 221F, off at 212F. Coolant drops to 205F before going back up. Letting it cool to check the level. I didnít add much but it seems to have made a difference.

Thanks all,
Ray
This sounds right to me. My 2016ES fans rarely come on as I live in PNW and typically move, but whenever I end up sitting in traffic I also see the 221 and 212 you refer to. It typically takes less than a minute from the fan comes on until it shuts off again (with a warm engine and 80 degF outside) - if that helps
Little Joe likes this.

2016 ES
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 05:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
I recently did a valve clearance check. I had to drain a bit of coolant. I refilled the radiator. Overflow bottle is also full. I’ve been riding it but not monitoring the temperature. My fans were coming on so I assumed all is well. Today, when i got home the fans were running. I checked the temperature and it was still ~220 and not dropping. Is this air in the tube inside the valve cover? If the fans are on, is the coolant circulating? Bike is a 2013.

Thanks
Ray
Were you checking the temperature after you killed the engine? If so, coolant wasn't circulating, and you may have actually cooled the coolant in the radiator but that wouldn't affect the coolant around temp sensor immediately. Also, when the coolant stops circulating right after you kill the engine temps may very well rise for a few minutes as the coolant draws heat from the still-hot engine.

If the engine was still running, disregard the above.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page