GPS will not light up or work now - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Cruise control will not light up or work now

This is a 2020 new machine. I finally got around to taking a nice 2 hour drive on the highway to try out my phone gps to helmet com - works great but then my cruise control did not work.
Weird thing is everything electrical works fine but the cruise.
It was working before.
I used the power outlet to usb to power my phone while traveling.
But if it was a shared fuse it would have stopped that power to my phone. It did not.
Curious how to get the black plastic panel on the left off to investigate.

Last edited by Michael Kuszek; 08-09-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 12:07 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

GPS will not light up or work now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kuszek View Post
This is a 2020 new machine. I finally got around to taking a nice 2 hour drive on the highway to try out my phone gps to helmet com - works great but then my cruise control did not work. Weird thing is everything electrical works fine but the cruise. It was working before. I used the power outlet to usb to power my phone while traveling. But if it was a shared fuse it would have stopped that power to my phone. It did not. Curious how to get the black plastic panel on the left off to investigate.
Michael,

Before you take the bike apart, see if the brake light turns off, every time, when you release the brake pedal slowly. It is common for the brake lever pivot to get dirty and sticky, so the brake light may stay on, and then Cruise Control will not engage. Clean and lube that brake lever pivot on a regular basis anyway.

Try disconnecting any (every) newly added gadget, and see if things work normally as before, without the new stuff. If so, find alternate sources to power the extra gear, and forget about why. Do a Search for Fuse Taps, here and elsewhere, to make clean connections to solid power sources. Any auto parts place will have Fuse Taps.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Nope I checked the pedal.
I don't think it is a dirty or unlubed pedal with only 423 miles on the bike but I checked anyway.
Weird thing is my aux power is on and fine to power my phone.
That's the only thing I did. However it may have been out before and I did not notice.
When I used it for the first couple hundred miles it (cruise) worked perfectly....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If cruise won't light up at all, then kinda points to the fuse. Check your owner's manual for fuse locations. The Aux fuse is separate and is only 3 amp to the accessory outlet in the glove box, you might want to replace it with a 5 amp. The cruise fuse is a 1 amp, you might want to move the 3 amp to that spot.
There are other things that can cause cruise not to engage, but first you have to have power so the dash light comes on when you push the ON/OFF button. IF the power comes on, then check your clutch and brake lever switches and brake pedal switches that they aren't sticking (the lever switches can get finicky).
I can tell you now that at some point your brake pedal will likely stick, as it has insufficient lube at the pivot.... put that on your maintenance list to disassemble and grease it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I took off the right side cover to expose the fuse marked cruise and tested for continuity. It is good.
So what the ****. My cruise button and cruise dash icon still does not light up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

And now it works. I did nothing but take the fuse out and test it and return it to the holder.
Great nothing better than an intermittent problem..............
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I discovered that the cruise on my '13A would not engage Saturday morning. The icon would flash, but the cruise would not set. I went home and tried it out about an hour later and it now works perfectly. Just like a computer, sometimes a re-boot is needed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 09:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
I discovered that the cruise on my '13A would not engage Saturday morning. The icon would flash, but the cruise would not set. I went home and tried it out about an hour later and it now works perfectly. Just like a computer, sometimes a re-boot is needed.
This happens on my '13 occasionally. The cruise will stop working, the light flashes. I can turn if off and back on, and it doesn't reset. I can stop and kill the ignition, and restart, still no go. But sometimes if I stop for a longer period, like for lunch, it'll work when I get back on it. But let it sit overnight, and it always works the next day.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Taking fuses out and in once in a while refreshes the connection....
IF the light comes on or flashes, it has power... next you check brake/clutch switches and wheel sensors. Check for error codes in diagnostics, clear them and see what comes back.
Running your bike on the centerstand with the front wheel not turning will trigger some wheel sensor codes as well.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Taking fuses out and in once in a while refreshes the connection....
IF the light comes on or flashes, it has power... next you check brake/clutch switches and wheel sensors. Check for error codes in diagnostics, clear them and see what comes back.
Running your bike on the centerstand with the front wheel not turning will trigger some wheel sensor codes as well.
Thanks. On mine it's so infrequent that I don't know where to start. If it'd just go on out maybe I could chase down the problem. Of course, I'd probably be 2000 miles from home.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page