Swap 2004 fairings with 2004 fairings? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Lightbulb Swap 2004 fairings with 2004 fairings?

Hello All,

My first post sign joining the club

Cosmetic questions. As much as I like the styling of the '03 FJR, the front turn signals just let the bike down and date it pretty quickly (albeit, I do get a lot of praise for the bike at gas stations with many surprised its a 17 year old machine).

Questions is, can the front 2 fairings of an '04 be swapped onto an '03? By the looks of it the difference between the two years, its just the same fairings with new lights. Or, are the the fairings the same and Yamaha installed light pods to replace the signal stocks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I've never owned an 2003 (or an 02 or a 2001). I know the 2004 and 2005 are interchangeable so I'd be willing to bet that other than the turn signals the 2003 and it's class mates are all interchangeable. If you can find decent used side panels just make sure they include the signal lights. Alternately you could research after-market surface mount signals that you could attach. I'm pretty sure I've seen that done before. Just sayin..

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride might accomplish.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 07:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You should be able to do it no problem. ll Gen1's same basic fairing. What if you attempted just retrofitting the signals from a later version?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I haven't been able to see a II Gen 1 in person to know if the turn signal back portion (silver in the pics) is integrated into the body panel or if the whole turn signal assembly rests on top of the panel. If its just a matter of a turn signal assembly, I would do that. However, on any II Gen 1 signal lights for sale seem to be just the lens and not the back portion, leading me to think the back is molded into the panel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Hi: I'm unclear, what is a " II Gen 1"? I know there's a Gen1 bike (first generation 2001 to 2005) There's a Gen2 (second generation bike 2006 to 2012), and a Gen3 (2013 to ???).

To solve your issue I thought you'd be looking at Gen1 bikes alone. You could swap the side panels and be done with it. If you're looking to swap just the signals, I'm pretty sure you can't just retrofit them, the panels are different in that respect. I don't know that you could swap in a Gen2 signal either.

If'n it were me, I'd either swap panels (**** change the color is you want silver and blue) or look for an after-market signal that you like.
That's my $.02, I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen2 FJR.jpg (108.5 KB, 5 views)

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride might accomplish.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 05:16 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The '04 panels should fit fine on the '03 as far as I can tell. The issue will be the turn signal. Specifically, the wiring. I don't know if the connector for the turn signal wiring is the same. How the turn signals mount to the different years is completely different. But that is not an issue for simply swapping panels. Just is the wiring easily connected. If not, it shouldn't be hard to improvise.

Purveyor of crooked facts
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRkitekt View Post
I haven't been able to see a II Gen 1 in person to know if the turn signal back portion (silver in the pics) is integrated into the body panel or if the whole turn signal assembly rests on top of the panel. If its just a matter of a turn signal assembly, I would do that. However, on any II Gen 1 signal lights for sale seem to be just the lens and not the back portion, leading me to think the back is molded into the panel.
The bottom silver one is like my '05, which has the turn signal as part of the fairing. There is a clear lens that is removable from the outside. On the inside you can unplug the bulb.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/csFTtFiS7vo61zWM8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uHrapEC2pVWFgJnbA

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Last edited by Ludwig61; 08-05-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added picture links
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassoff View Post
Hi: I'm unclear, what is a " II Gen 1"? I know there's a Gen1 bike (first generation 2001 to 2005) There's a Gen2 (second generation bike 2006 to 2012), and a Gen3 (2013 to ???).
Between 2003 and 2004 Yamaha changed the front two body panels. Mine is a I Gen I, while on 2004 the changed very minor things like integrating turn signals into the body. Also, there was no ABS available (North America only?) until 2004, so some call them II Gen I because of the changes introduced between 03 and 04 within the same generation.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Alright, that's perfect to know now. I'll keep my eyes open for full front panels to do the swap.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Around the forums, the generally accepted nomenclature for the FJRs are: Gen I - up to 2005. Gen II - 2006 - 2012. Gen III - 2013+ There is confusion on what to call the 2016+. Gen III or Gen IV. Personally, I call it the Gen III.6.

This is going from memory, but 2003 to 2004 changes:

- ABS model added as an option
- Color from Liquid Silver to Cerulean Silver
- Turn signals incorporated into the fairing.
- Brake rotors increased from 300mm to 320mm
- Windscreen was different. Shape, or angle. Can't quite remember. It was a small diffference.
Redfish likes this.

Purveyor of crooked facts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page