Warm idle adjustment - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Warm idle adjustment

Hey everyone,

I recently had Ivan flash my 2006 FJR ECU and part of his take home instructions include increasing the warm idle speed to 1150-1200 rpm to get the volts at the 'yellow wire' in your ECU up to 6.9v. I've turned the screw as far as it will go and when I let go it unwinds/snaps back and I feel like I'm going to break the thing off if I keep trying to tighten it. My current rpm is around 1100 (which is ok) but Ivan is looking for 6.9v at the yellow wire and mine is 5.2-5.4v.

So two questions for those of you who know WAY more than me about this:
1. Am I measuring voltage at the correct location? (see attached pic)
2. Is there a way to increase the warm idle adjustment more?

Thanks in advance.

DJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7150.jpg (102.0 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 09:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can only suggest how to perhaps increase the idle speed...... you can see the spring-loaded throttle mechanism on top of the throttle bodies... follow the rubber tube up from the idle adjust screw, check the mechanism is clean, etc. I don't have one in front of me (no FJR any more), and can't remember if there is an adjustment screw that might give you more range, perhaps not.
You also may have reached the limit in part because of where the throttle sync screws are set. Maybe take the opportunity to re-do the sync, but first remove all the screws, clean the tapered tips, maybe spray some Seafoam or other solvent in the passages.... careful, check the parts diagram for a sync screw, don't want to lose the little spring, o-ring and teeny brass washer.
Next, reinstall all the sync screws to minimum 3/4 turn out, maybe set reference #3 at 7/8 turn out (at 1 turn out, it tends to get loose, you could stretch the little spring I suppose. All it does is provide friction force). Now sync all the rest at 1100 rpm. You may find you have a little more range.
To test the Ivan theory on the yellow wire, if you manually move the throttle to a higher rpm, does that voltage increase? I know nothing about which yellow wire.....

However, there is an idle adjust screw on the wax motor mechanism where you can increase the range.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ray,

Thanks for chiming in. I was beginning to feel all alone with the question. I'll start by checking the voltage and go from there. Appreciate the advice!

DJ

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Although Ivan is on Vacation for a month, have you reached out to him regarding this?

2009 FJR1300A
Random pics in profile
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

A few updates in case its helpful for others:
1. I noticed that I was getting lean throttle surge (something I didn't have prior to the flash). Tried using my PC3 to adjust, it helped but didn't remove the issue.
2. I have been in touch with Ivan now that he's back from vacation. He recommended I adjust the throttle position sensor to get the voltage up. He felt the engine was being starved of fuel between the PC3 and low voltage.
3. Adjusted the TPS to 6.9v at proper warm idle setting (1150-1200) last night and took the bike out this morning and unfortunately, still have surge around 3k rpm. Better than it was before but still an issue.

I'm surprised that I'm having these issues based on all of the reviews I've read. I have yet to see a negative review of Ivan's work. Seems like there must be a different issue at play. Is it possible my TPS is going bad?

Also attaching some pics of how I adjusted the TPS. Had to modify (ie. cut) the T25 security torx bit to fit between the frame and the TPS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7395.jpg (183.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7394.jpg (137.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7393.jpg (139.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7391.jpg (213.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7390.jpg (213.9 KB, 12 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quite possible a TPS issue ... they go with age usually, and TPS can test good yet be bad. I'd say a good investment at this point, and a very likely cause of your issues.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi DJ,

First, welcome to the forum! This is a great place, with really great people!

I know you are riding the same bike as me, but could you please put your year and model version in your signature? As the thread continues, it will be helpful so others don't have to go searching for your version. And be proud and brag about that s&!t! LOL

Also, and this is a big ask, but can you shoot a video, with audio, so we can understand what you are describing, as it is "surging?"

I want to try to understand, as I cannot replicate what you are describing while riding Orion...

Thanks, And again Welcome!

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page