Spark plug gap - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Spark plug gap

Hey Guys,

Ok, gapped new spark plugs on my 2013 FJR.

Haynes says 0.7-0.8mm. The owners manual says 0.8-0.9mm.

More of just a curiosity question, but any idea why they would be different for the same spark plug model?

Thanks,

-HD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 08:52 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 2007 owners manual says 0.7-0.8 mm. I wonder why yours is different.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Yeah, it says .8-.9 in the “glove box” owners manual. I used the Haynes manual as a reference when I changed the plugs which broke down the different gen series, but still said .7-.8 for all. I gapped them to .75 but now I’m second guessing myself. Guess I should have just bought the tech manual hah.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 02:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

2007 Factory Service Manual says 0.7- 0.8 mm but that's for NGK # CR8E plugs. The Gen3 (and hence the Haynes manual) calls for a slightly different plug NGK CPR8EA-9 with gap at 0.8- 0.9 mm.

I think, regardless of which plug number you used, a gap of .75mm will be fine. Unless of course your brain just won't let it go and you just have to regap +.05mm.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 07-16-2020 at 03:08 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 07:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hang, Russ is right. This is what you call “picking nits” but like you I obsess over this kinda stuff but truthfully it it won’t make a bit of difference. Now that said, years ago I read several books by a guy (dr. Michael Jacobs) who was big into ignition systems and developed a great ignition and company (Jacobs Ignition) for vehicles, and he explained in depth the various ignition parts, on spark plugs he was a proponent of using the biggest plug gap the ignition could support because of better emissions, performance & mpg’s.

But w/o a lot of equipment & testing you just don’t know what the ignition will support, so stick with the factory recommended specs and what your them to is fine, don’t sweat it.

Personally, I put in NGK iridium plugs (you don’t gap them) because they provide a better spark but mainly because they should last 60k to 100k. But that’s me. If your bike starts good, doesn’t stutter or miss then you’re good to go , go for a ride and don’t worry about it.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gen3 got projected tip plugs thus different (Euro 4 emissions coming into play). Perhaps hard to find... you can go back to prior years plugs if you have to. There is an unobtainium Iridium, but CR8EIX or CR8EIX-9, or next heat range down CR9..... don't regap Iridiums.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 09:16 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I have a gen 3 and have replaced my plugs once with the manual's recommended NGK CPR8EA-9 with a gap of 0.8-0.9. The four plugs needed no tweaking of the gap, they were preset by NKG at 0.85, I only checked.
the Ferret likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks guys.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 12:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
I have a gen 3 and have replaced my plugs once with the manual's recommended NGK CPR8EA-9 with a gap of 0.8-0.9. The four plugs needed no tweaking of the gap, they were preset by NKG at 0.85, I only checked.
Jim at what mileage did you replace yours? Just curious.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 03:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Jim at what mileage did you replace yours? Just curious.
about 23k. They could have gone another 25k. Next time I do a throttle body, I will leave the plugs alone from what I seen.
I was doing a throttle body balance, and just figured while it was all open to change out the plugs. The original's coming out were perfectly clean, no carbon build up. The gap on the originals were wider than the new ones. about 0.95 I usually just change anything I can that is changeable when I have something opened up. This winter/spring I had all the tupperware off and Ivan flashed the ecpu, changed the antifreeze even though I changed it the year before, lubricated the brake pedal and whatnot. My bike, my intervals as I see fit, and happy with. I keep a notebook with date and milage and what I've done. I never plan on selling her so it's just for me to keep track. At any given time I can tell how many miles are on my current tires, brake/clutch fluid, headlights, seat, etc.....

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page