Replacement windshield screws - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Replacement windshield screws

Anyone have a source on the nylon windshield screws? Went to switch out my windshield today and found a few heads broken off. Searched online and couldn't find any nylon screws. Assuming Yamaha is the only source?

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've always gotten mine from a Yamaha distributor. It's one of those items I always keep spares of by tossing a few on an order with something else.

Where ever you get them from make sure they are long enough! Think about it- how did you get the studs out after the heads snapped off? I always screw the stud through since the OE ones are long enough to stick out the back. Too short and you can't do that.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 08:37 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I switched over to metal screws as I kept breaking the ones off mine. Did that with my FZ1 and now with the FJR. Have 3 nylon screws that i dug up in my rollaway you can have for a couple bux to cover a padded envelope and shipping.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 09:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

sparky, you haven't said, but what year is your FJR? If you have a Series III and you are breaking the screws, you are overtightening them. The little color matched covers on the windshield will prevent their loss if they loosen.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry07 View Post
Anyone have a source on the nylon windshield screws? Went to switch out my windshield today and found a few heads broken off. Searched online and couldn't find any nylon screws. Assuming Yamaha is the only source?
They often come with new wind screens. If not, you can get them from Partzilla. They have all the oem parts available. Yes, if you are sheering heads off they are WAY over tightened.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 11:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

I've been getting all my OEM FJR parts here: www.partzilla.com.
Used them for years.. and coincidently, I recently bought the plastic screws for the windshield for my GEN1 '05.
Regards,
Mr. BR
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
They often come with new wind screens. If not, you can get them from Partzilla. They have all the oem parts available. Yes, if you are sheering heads off they are WAY over tightened.
I bought it a few weeks ago and just pulled that little cover off yesterday to see they were snapped. I temporarily bought some M5 metal bolts to hold it on until I find some nylon ones.

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 07:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
I bought it a few weeks ago and just pulled that little cover off yesterday to see they were snapped. I temporarily bought some M5 metal bolts to hold it on until I find some nylon ones.
Trust me, i know all about previous owners doing dumb things like putting loctite ln all sorts of fasteners that don’t call for it....lol

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

As a former certified Yamaha parts "consultant", their title not mine, I found most customers who had stripped their windscreen screws were using a Phillips screw driver. While the heads on Yamaha screws may appear to use crosscut they actually are JIS, Japanese Industrial Standard which have enough differences to cause the typical problems of head stripping,etc If you invest a a set of JIS screw drivers you'll find the tip will fit the screw head EXACTLY. Can also find JIS bits to fit 1/4" drivers.
jjscsix likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

Just as an added piece of information, I have always heard that Yamaha uses nylon so that if you are in an accident and are thrown over the windshield, it will break away easier to reduce the possibility of injury from the windshield. Iíve never tried it out to see if it works
passx and Joey like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page