Replacement windshield screws - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My spin is the nylon screws are to prevent cracking plastic. No harm in metal screws if you put a rubber washer under them. You can get plastic screws from McMaster Carr by the 100.
In some accidents with or without plastic screws, I've seen the entire wellnut pull out. Not worried about the accident thing.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Didn't mean to start the whole nylon/metal screw conversation again. I did pick up rubber washers with the screws as well and have them installed.

I concur about the screws being nylon to prevent over tightening. I've run into it a few times, such as the valve cover bolts on my old Vulcan that were designed to snap the heads off if you over tighten (which I did...ft lbs...inch lbs...whatever).

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Just as an added piece of information, I have always heard that Yamaha uses nylon so that if you are in an accident and are thrown over the windshield, it will break away easier to reduce the possibility of injury from the windshield. Iíve never tried it out to see if it works
Nylon screws break easily so the windshield doesn't get broken easily in a tipover or other mishap. If you carry spare screws you can just bolt it back on and keep going.

Spare screws: Lowes and Home Depot have a wide variety of screws and might have the M5 you need in nylon, but if not there's a universal workaround- inch size 10-32 nylon screws are virtually identical to their metric cousins and work fine in this application. They are universally available. They will have a straight blade or Phillips head that fits your screwdriver too.
jjscsix likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
My spin is the nylon screws are to prevent cracking plastic. No harm in metal screws if you put a rubber washer under them. You can get plastic screws from McMaster Carr by the 100.
In some accidents with or without plastic screws, I've seen the entire wellnut pull out. Not worried about the accident thing.
Iíve had quite a few bikes with windshields. The FJR is the only one that screws together the way it does. Most have metal shoulder screws to keep them from cracking the windshield.

Lots of good information on this thread.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I ordered a bag of 100 from McMaster-Carr for about $12. Item # and description below.
92492A738 Nylon Pan Head Phillips Screws, M5 x 0.80 mm Thread, 16mm Long, Black, Packs of 100
rbentnail likes this.

Also enjoy:
-81' Honda CB900C
-78' Honda CM185 Twinstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page