Check Engine Light, 2016 FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Check Engine Light, 2016 FJR

Hello folks, I have a question to throw at you all. On my 2016 FJR. Last weekend, after getting gas, my check engine light came on. Afterwards, the motorcycle still ran fine so I continued to ride it with no apparent issues (1,500 miles, I had to get home). I just called the Yamaha dealership, the soonest I could get in for them to look at it is three weeks! My question is: Should I keep riding it? The motorcycle is still under warranty... I read on the 2016 you can not clear the code by disconnecting the battery... On my old Buick, the engine light was on permanently with no ill effects... But my FJR is my baby, only four months old with 6,000 miles. Maybe my question should be. Has anyone rode their FJR for a extended period of time with the check engine light on...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

Oil and Coolant levels OK? Does the oil level drop in the sight glass when engine is started to indicate oil pump ok? If these 2 things are good and no overheating i'd take my chances but then again yamaha may disagree if still under warranty...

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Oil is good, coolant levels and temperatures are fine. Cruise control works fine... I am going to just drop in at the dealership without a appointment. Maybe they can give it a quick scan...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi, my guess is that this is the same I have got on mine '16 a few times, it is caused by not turning the key in ON position quick enough or fully at 12.
I bought a cheap ODBII reader and a adapter cable. This connects to my phone where I am using the app Torque Pro where I easily can reset error codes. You can either get a bluetooth or a wifi version, mine was a wifi, guess both works fine.
There are several discussions about that in here. I aslo think there is an software update for the bike, but as I am doing maintenance myself, I have not still visited the dealer.

Here is an image of the two items I got
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.06.jpg (80.7 KB, 25 views)
N4HHE likes this.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

Last edited by rogerf; 06-18-2020 at 12:02 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There was a recall/service bulletin for the original code, fix was a dealer software flash. For other codes, need the OBD reader and adapter cable... note, no longer for sale, see posts 18 & 19 as I can no longer edit post #1.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-...016-newer.html

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 03:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You could take the Homer Simpson approach:

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Where are you located?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
Hello folks, I have a question to throw at you all. On my 2016 FJR. Last weekend, after getting gas, my check engine light came on. Afterwards, the motorcycle still ran fine so I continued to ride it with no apparent issues (1,500 miles, I had to get home). I just called the Yamaha dealership, the soonest I could get in for them to look at it is three weeks! My question is: Should I keep riding it? The motorcycle is still under warranty... I read on the 2016 you can not clear the code by disconnecting the battery... On my old Buick, the engine light was on permanently with no ill effects... But my FJR is my baby, only four months old with 6,000 miles. Maybe my question should be. Has anyone rode their FJR for a extended period of time with the check engine light on...?

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I'm located in Youngstown, Ohio. Is there anyone in a 1,000 mile radius from me with a OBD reader? I can come visit.
Thanks Ra Yzerman for the information. If the dealership won't take me in as a walk in, I'll be ordering the OBD reader.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Order one anyway, it will save you dealer trips in the future.... there was a gent a week or so ago who went to the dealer and was fixed up fer free.... nice dealer.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

I had the light come up, due to running the bike through the gears on centre stand, cleared by the dealer.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/#/topics/145231
spectreman likes this.

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page