The Oil Filter Thread - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've been using HiFloFiltro (their "race" version with the nut) for last 12K miles without an issue. I've got canyon cages which makes reaching a regular "nutless" filter a PITA.
N4HHE likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 10:26 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Need oem oil filter part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Why not glue a 0.060" spacer to the outer o-ring seat?
N4HHE,

Not sure what glue would hold against the oil pressure, or the expansion/contraction of heat and cold there. I'd expect oil leaks, and maybe serious leaks, not just a few drips. I would also question if every individual oil filter has exactly the same dimensions there. The same brand may work one time, but maybe not the next time. I would guess that some fix could be added, but it seems simpler to use the oil filters which are made to fit our bikes, not the other way around. Seems to me, I counted about a dozen options available, last time I checked.

Wix oil filters are good, and hang the price, because it is a quality product with a good reputation. You still need to verify that the filter you choose is right for the bike, because Wix makes lots of filter types.

I also use a large hose clamp, mostly covered by heat shrink tubing, around the filter. The screw adjuster butts right up against a bolt boss on the engine case, so the oil filter can not come unscrewed, not even a little. Do I worry about an oil filter coming loose while riding? Nope, not mine, anyway.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 02:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson View Post
I've been using HiFloFiltro (their "race" version with the nut) for last 12K miles without an issue. I've got canyon cages which makes reaching a regular "nutless" filter a PITA.
I have canyon cages on my FJR and while not easy, I have no trouble installing a long filter on my bike.

I have been using Purolator Pure One filters since I bought my FJR in 2014 all but once. That time was a Mobil-1 M-110.
Purolator part #s: PL14610 (long), PL14612 (short).

No scientific evidence for it, but I would think that, all other things being equal, more filter media has to be a good thing.

I remember when the whole innie/outie thing hit the 'netz. I went down to the local men's store (Autozone) and pulled a couple of Bosch 3300s (?) off the shelf. I just happened to get one of each.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
N4HHE,

Not sure what glue would hold against the oil pressure, or the expansion/contraction of heat and cold there. I'd expect oil leaks, and maybe serious leaks, not just a few drips. I would also question if every individual oil filter has exactly the same dimensions there. The same brand may work one time, but maybe not the next time. I would guess that some fix could be added, but it seems simpler to use the oil filters which are made to fit our bikes, not the other way around. Seems to me, I counted about a dozen options available, last time I checked.
Somehow the machined face for oil filter on the engine casing serves well, so why do you think shimming that out 0.060" might not fit all oil filters?

Oil leaks and pressures? The bypass valve is somewhere in the 8 to 12 PSI range so that is the upper range. How ever does Yamaha manage to hold oil in the engine against such great pressures? A simple o-ring gasket manages at the oil filter. Silicone sealer should have no trouble. Just cut an aluminum ring about 2" diameter from 0.062" aluminum plate.

I don't think its worth the effort to machine Yamaha's oil filter union or to shim the o-ring surface. I don't believe the most bestest filter one could purchase today would increase engine life from 300,000 to 300,001 miles over my HiFlo Filtro.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 09:22 AM
FJR Top Gun

Motorcyclists crack me up when it comes to oil and oil filters. Each insisting that THEIR particular oil and oil filter combination is superior to everyone else's. Multiple guys using their particular combos for "40 years without issues" yet each one thinks theirs is better than the other guys... and all think theirs is better than the poor guys using the stock filter and oil as recommended by the manufacturer (who have also not had any issues for 40 years.)

Cracks me up.
rogerf, Donk and justacrossthehill like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 09:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

tFerret, ain't marketing great?

"OEM" doesn't mean "the best part available". It simply means "good enough". And the afore mentioned marketing tries to convince us that "good enough" isn't.
the Ferret likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 10:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
tFerret, ain't marketing great?

"OEM" doesn't mean "the best part available". It simply means "good enough". And the afore mentioned marketing tries to convince us that "good enough" isn't.
OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer, the Manufacturer who provided the Original Equipment (OE).

Any Bridgestone tire is OEM for the FJR no matter the BT023 isn't nearly as good as the T30 and T31 models. A new FJR never shipped with a T31 but the T31 is still OEM.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 03:33 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
OEM is Yahama 5GH-13440-60. This was original on my 2015 FJR and I still use them. Like everyone else says...no problems.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 07:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

I hang with a bunch of long distance riders. Several ride FJRs, all log big miles annually like 50-100,000 miles. I find it amazing that we talk about tires, we talk about riding gear, we talk about lots of things but oil and filters never seem to come up. Guess itís not that important and itís certainly not that interesting.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
I hang with a bunch of long distance riders. Several ride FJRs, all log big miles annually like 50-100,000 miles. I find it amazing that we talk about tires, we talk about riding gear, we talk about lots of things but oil and filters never seem to come up. Guess itís not that important and itís certainly not that interesting nor funny.
ftfy I've been riding with a couple new guys- HD and FJR- and we've been talking about oils and filters and shifting and phone mounts and... and... and. They're curious about all kinds of stuff. I just say, "what I do is ..." or "what I use is ...". Forums like this with some many conflicting/differing opinions can be pretty confusing for newer folks.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page