The Engine Oil Thread - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Exclamation The Engine Oil Thread

8I always used Yamalube full syn 15/50 on the FJR until Yamaha decided to switch to 10/40. With the FJR sold I find I have 4 quarts of 15/50 left. The shops getting kind of empty of bikes these days, seems the only 2 left are my ‘19 Multistrada and my 999 track bike. As it happens Ducati specs call for 15/50 full syn in the Multistrada specifically Shell. My 2 go to oils are Amsoil and Motul. The Multi uses exactly 4 quarts with a new filter and being as there’s 4 quarts of Yamalube left I got to thinking why not use it in the Multi? But WHOA is this dangerous ground?
Is there any chance of an International incident here?
Am I risking protests and riots inside the engine?
Will I need to seek an audience with the Pope? Confession? Beg forgiveness?
Has anyone done such a thing before?
If you guys think it’s time for intervention I respect your opinions so say so.

Thanks for the help

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 06-08-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 11:16 PM
FJR Top Gun

If you do that, when your out riding and the bike speaks to you, you will no longer understand it.
FjrjrF and Donk like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 12:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
As it happens Ducati specs call for 15/50 full syn in the Multistrada specifically Shell.
"syn" is not a motor oil performance specification. Any manufacturer (eg: Subaru) specifying "syn" (ain't that cute!) or synthetic motor oil is stipulating an arbitrary parameter.

There is no test suite of superior characteristics for which an oil must meet to be sold as synthetic. All one has to do is go through the motions using synthetic processes in manufacturing. There is no requirement of what one actually makes.

Synthetic processes can produce a superior motor oil, but only if the designer goes to the effort to do so. "Syn" is no assurance the effort was made.
jjscsix likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 06:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Dunno if I'd use it in the bike. I'm not a "one-off" user, I believe in using what works well over and over. What if it's the best oil on the planet for your Ducati and then you can't get any more anywhere?

Nah, use it in the lawnmower.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 06:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

OMG another oil thread...... Multi.... multi-grade... seems like a good match to me. Use it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 06:47 AM
Training wheels fitted!

In fact there are only 3 full synthetic oils sold in Australia. They are Amsoil,Redline and Purple. All the rest are allowed to use the synthetic name as a result of laws passed in the U.S.A. senate many years ago.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZBASS17 View Post
In fact there are only 3 full synthetic oils sold in Australia. They are Amsoil,Redline and Purple. All the rest are allowed to use the synthetic name as a result of laws passed in the U.S.A. senate many years ago.
There were no such laws.

Mobil-1 sued Castrol over Castrol's marketing label "synthetic" on hyper-refined oil. The only court that would hear such a claim was a marketing private court of binding arbitration.

Castrol claimed their product's performance was comparable to Mobil-1. Mobil-1 claimed, "You didn't go through the right motions to manufacture it."

The court agreed with Castrol in saying their product was close enough considering there is no performance specification for a synthetic motor oil. There are no SAE, API, JASO, ECMA, no standards stipulating what an oil must do to be labeled "synthetic".

There are still no performance specifications for a synthetic motor oil. Everything said about synthetic motor oil comes from marketing. There are performance specifications for which nothing but a synthetic motor oil has met, but far from all synthetic motor oils meet.

No respectable engine manufacturer stipulates "synthetic" motor oil because there is no characteristic of "synthetic" that can be legally attributed. Subaru is one who lets their marketing department write the engine motor oil requirement with "synthetic". Was once a good product but I expect things to falter with such ignorant management. Perhaps related to motor oil consumption problems Subaru has had since "synthetic."

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

OMG! I was joking around! I was in my shop and did see the Multi sitting there and did see 4 quarts of Yamalube 15/50 and I did think about using it and it struck me as funny putting Yamaha oil in a Ducati.

I do think “full synthetic” may be recommended by some manufacturers for certain bikes. I know Aprilia does for sure, pretty sure BMW does, Ducati does, KTM does, Yamaha does not except for the R1. Because I work at a used bike shop I have to look up what oil different manufacturers want in their bikes regularly.

As to the specifics of synthetic oil that is a whole conversation unto itself. Unless you’re ripping down race engines or preferably endurance racing engines or engines that have gone several hundred thousand miles with 1 oil in them then how would you really know what’s best? I used to use Yamalube because they were the only oil I know of that offered a 100,000 mile guarantee on engines using their oil. Marketing for sure but it sounded good. I think Motul is great oil but choosing between red oil and green oil is too complicated for me. Amsoil is headquartered in Superior, WI has a great reputation and I’ve adopted Wisconsin as my home and that’s reason enough for me to use it. I will not use Mobil 1 because 20-30 years ago a friend who builds race engines had a problem with it. Can everyone clearly see the lack of logic here?

As I’ve said in other threads pick an oil that lets you sleep at night and go ride. I was just wondering how well I would sleep knowing my Ducati had Yamaha oil in it? I mean would Rossi start talking to me in my sleep? Then it would be worth it. Would I hear arguments from my shop in the middle of the night? Would my Multi be tossing and turning with Yamalube in it as if it ate something hard to digest for dinner? Then it wouldn’t.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 06-09-2020 at 07:17 AM.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

So if you put the Yamalube in your MTS would you then have a Multaha or Ducaha or a Yamaduc?
TownsendsFJR1300 likes this.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 08:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've used 20W-50 (various brands) year round for the last 30+ years in a 1995 FZR1000, 1999 R1, 2001 R1, 2006 R1, 2008 R1, 2008 R6, 2008 FJR.

I've yet to have ANY engine issues. Ever.

Ride more/worry less.
Jenks, dravnx and georgepittenger like this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page